Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Scottie Upshall to a PTO (released, signs with St. Louis)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
We are signing all these FA's, and potentially more in White and Upshall, that it is also pushing Rodin out of the lineup. Rodin is going to be back in Europe before you know it, and we will never know what we ever had in him.

We have a very soft line up. Rodin certainly isn't adding toughness but I sure hope he is kept up.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We have a very soft line up. Rodin certainly isn't adding toughness but I sure hope he is kept up.

If you have a bit of toughness spread through the lineup a couple of extra tough guys can boost the whole teams attitude but team is so soft a couple of extra marginal player tough guys won't do anything, the top 9/entire D are not going to player tougher. They might as well play Rodin since there won't be any push back anywhere in the lineup.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
According to Benning he was not cut. He was still in camp when St. Louis opted to sign him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know it was just a PTO, but would there be any ramifications from signing someone who is still under a PTO? Or is there likely a clause that gives Upshall an out if a team signs him?

(I really want another free second round pick...)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Can someone produce a Scotty Upshall Tribute video?

xqcyc.png

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I know it was just a PTO, but would there be any ramifications from signing someone who is still under a PTO? Or is there likely a clause that gives Upshall an out if a team signs him?

(I really want another free second round pick...)

It's not like we have the actual contract to verify it or anything, but this type of thing is perfectly common. A PTO is basically an invite to a teams training camp, so especially with vets it doesn't make sense to lock the guy out of other teams when you're not necessarily going to sign him yourself.

In Upshall's case I think a St. Louis player just got injured so that opened a spot for them to bring him back.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It is in fact the only important difference between offering a player a PTO and offering him a contract. If you want to prevent other teams from signing him then you have to do the latter.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Additional motivation for the Blues calling Upshall and the Canucks prior to our puck drop... they were nearing the end of a game last night in which they put up 5 shots on goal... for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad