Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Nic Petan to two-way deal ($750,000/$450,000)

theKRAKhouse

Jul 22, 2021
So basically the new Troy stretcher. Cause he’s a local kid he’s good and ya let’s pencil him in on the second line lol

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Yep. But he's clearly just an AHL star now.
Correct. I watched him play live against the Admirals and then also against the Wolves a few times and on TV dozens of times.

Petan, De Leo, Josh Morrisey and Helleybuck were teammates then.

Those were the four players that I paid attention to the most.

He’s a very good heads-up centerman. I thought Chase De Leo was going to outpace Petan’s development, but Nic has solidified himself as a pro.

Unfortunately, he was buried in Toronto. I hope his development hasn’t been stunted.

Reactions: elitepete and F A N

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pearson on the 4th line and Petan on the second…day drinking!

He's got a lot more playmaking offensive upside than Pearson.

Tanner's a good soldier but he's already on the downswing and doesn't offer much in terms of offensive chance creation anymore. Petan's never been given a real chance. If he's given one, I really think he'll reward the club.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's one of those guys that everyone loves because he was a Junior star and AHL star and came up through the ranks with that pedigree. So well past expiration date...people seem inclined to think there's still "potential" and "upside" in there. When really...he is what he is, as a useful AHL scorer that you can call up for a few games and maybe not hurt you too badly in the NHL. But just too limited to make good on that "offensive skill" in the big leagues. Sort of the opposite trajectory version of a Linden Vey or Cal O'Reilly...only to end up in ultimately the same place.

Good signing for Abbotsford though. As long as that's where he stays, barring a wash of injuries or other unfortunate proceedings with the NHL team.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
6 goals in 138 nhl games over 5 years, huh? I can see why people are so high on him. Certainly can't have anything to do with the local-boy factor, it's purely based on his talent and upside.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There's no local bias from me. I've always been a big fan of Petan, no matter what team he's on. I think Winnipeg should've gave him a real chance. I think Toronto should've actually played him. He's never gotten the Vey/Baerstchi run where they just continually trot him out in the top-nine for a season.

If he did, I think he would suddenly "become" an NHLer (because he should be).

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He's one of those guys that everyone loves because he was a Junior star and AHL star and came up through the ranks with that pedigree. So well past expiration date...people seem inclined to think there's still "potential" and "upside" in there. When really...he is what he is, as a useful AHL scorer that you can call up for a few games and maybe not hurt you too badly in the NHL. But just too limited to make good on that "offensive skill" in the big leagues. Sort of the opposite trajectory version of a Linden Vey or Cal O'Reilly...only to end up in ultimately the same place.

Good signing for Abbotsford though. As long as that's where he stays, barring a wash of injuries or other unfortunate proceedings with the NHL team.

I think he's a lock to be the top center in Abbotsford. I wouldn't rule out him getting a few games in injury relief with the big club at some point (We are all Canucks - Injuries are going to happen). But he should be a marquee guy for Abbotsford.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think he's a lock to be the top center in Abbotsford. I wouldn't rule out him getting a few games in injury relief with the big club at some point (We are all Canucks - Injuries are going to happen). But he should be a marquee guy for Abbotsford.
It's interesting.....Hockey DB lists Petan as a 'center' and it would be intriguing to see him left in the middle for the Abby Canucks. Seems to me that his struggles in the NHL were the result of his size, and the fact that Winnipeg and TO tried to make a winger out of him. Pretty tough to play in the NHL as a 5'9", 175 pound winger, unless you're exceptionally talented.

He's definitely a candidate to light it up in Abbotsford, and could see him coming up as an injury fill-in for the parent Canucks.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Definitely felt for Petan and his family after what happened with his father. Glad he can play close to home in front of friends and family, and hopefully impress.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Good signing for our AHL team in Abbotsford. Petan will likely be our top line stud, and I imagine will likely be one of the first callups due to injury. It would be cool if the hometown native could find his game in the NHL.
Pretty neat that Benning and Co signed so many local players to play for their professional hometown teams.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't get why Petan got so many pre-season opportunities. Is it some sort of lip service? Like hey we gave you every chance to make the team and you did because Boeser was injured.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't get why Petan got so many pre-season opportunities. Is it some sort of lip service? Like hey we gave you every chance to make the team and you did because Boeser was injured.

I don't get it either. If the plan was to send him down the whole time, why base the entire preseason around Petan in a top-six role? Why not try somebody else?

And I'd still legit rather have Petan on the roster than Chiasson.

At the very least, if Petan is going to be in Abbottsford, please play him with Klimovich.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It was really weird. It wasn't like it was a 'someone had to get the minutes' thing - he was consistently playing higher up in the lineup than Garland, and there was one game where he got 20+ minutes on the top line while Garland was on a 3rd line with Dowling and Di Giuseppe.

As someone noted in the other thread, you wonder if this wasn't an in-fighting thing with Green and Benning, where Green wanted the player on his team and Benning absolutely did not.

Green's comments in the preseason sure seemed to indicate he thought he was an NHLer, and I doubt Petan could have played any better than he did.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think petan was competing with dowling for the motte slot and lost in the end.

this move plus the chiasson move from 1st line to bench makes me think personnel assignments are more structured this year, and maybe not green's exclusive call. in the past i would have expected chiasson to have slipped gradually down the lineup at the expense of whoever in the bottom six was playing least well.

and if you want to get conspiracy theory, the fact dowling was on the 2nd pp might be because green was planning to put petan there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think they experimented with Petan to see if he was an option for the third-fourth lines, or in a penalty killing role.

But his track record is that he has to be a top-six forward to be effective, and without any vacancies there, he's not a guy who can play down the lineup. Hence guys like Highmore, Chiasson and Dowling were deemed more versatile guys.

But Petan will be welcomed with open arms in Abbotsford.....based on my two games of viewing, this Abbotsford team is seriously offensively challenged. Petan will get the top line minutes he needs to be effective.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think petan was competing with dowling for the motte slot and lost in the end.

I think they experimented with Petan to see if he was an option for the third-fourth lines, or in a penalty killing role.

Except that wasn't how he was used at all in the preseason.

They didn't play him with Di Giuseppe/Dowling/Highmore/Dickinson types to see how he fit in the bottom-6. They put him on a top scoring line and played the living hell out of him in offensive situations all preseason. Again, he got substantially better minutes/looks than Garland did.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't get it either. If the plan was to send him down the whole time, why base the entire preseason around Petan in a top-six role? Why not try somebody else.

And I'd still legit rather have Petan on the roster than Chiasson.

At the very least, if Petan is going to be in Abbottsford, please play him with Klimovich.

I'm no fan of Chiasson but I do acknowledge the fact that Chiasson has been an NHL player and Petan has not. I do think Chiasson is a better fit than Petan both on the PP and in the lineup given Chiasson is a big bodied right winger. Petan's value was that he can play C but so can Miller and Dowling.

It was really weird. It wasn't like it was a 'someone had to get the minutes' thing - he was consistently playing higher up in the lineup than Garland, and there was one game where he got 20+ minutes on the top line while Garland was on a 3rd line with Dowling and Di Giuseppe.

As someone noted in the other thread, you wonder if this wasn't an in-fighting thing with Green and Benning, where Green wanted the player on his team and Benning absolutely did not.

Green's comments in the preseason sure seemed to indicate he thought he was an NHLer, and I doubt Petan could have played any better than he did.

Ya. Unless Green was trying to employ Garland as some sort of secret weapon. Play him as a left winger on the 3rd line then BAM! Garland on the right of Horvat.

this move plus the chiasson move from 1st line to bench makes me think personnel assignments are more structured this year, and maybe not green's exclusive call. in the past i would have expected chiasson to have slipped gradually down the lineup at the expense of whoever in the bottom six was playing least well.

and if you want to get conspiracy theory, the fact dowling was on the 2nd pp might be because green was planning to put petan there.

Dowling ahead of Petan I totally get and predicted. Dowling on the PP makes me shake my head every time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Except that wasn't how he was used at all in the preseason.

They didn't play him with Di Giuseppe/Dowling/Highmore/Dickinson types to see how he fit in the bottom-6. They put him on a top scoring line and played the living hell out of him in offensive situations all preseason. Again, he got substantially better minutes/looks than Garland did.

they have more than six top 6 or aspiring top 6 players so the third line is a hybrid. as of this morning, miller is their 3c and podz is the other winger. i think they experimented with either having a top 6 guy play down to the motte slot or a bottom 6 guy play up to motte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad