Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Nic Petan to two-way deal ($750,000/$450,000)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Except that wasn't how he was used at all in the preseason.

They didn't play him with Di Giuseppe/Dowling/Highmore/Dickinson types to see how he fit in the bottom-6. They put him on a top scoring line and played the living hell out of him in offensive situations all preseason. Again, he got substantially better minutes/looks than Garland did.

sometimes in life you realize that while your dad gives you plum opportunities that you haven't earned, the fact that he's not putting you the positions you could conceivably succeed in tells you that deep down he doesn't really believe in you.

oh wait, i'm on a hockey message board not my therapist's couch?

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Continues to cement what a great decision it was to let Petan soak up top-6 mins in the preseason without getting any evaluation time on younger more promising players

Best of luck in Abby regardless, looking forward to seeing more talent in the lineup there

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
sometimes in life you realize that while your dad gives you plum opportunities that you haven't earned, the fact that he's not putting you the positions you could conceivably succeed in tells you that deep down he doesn't really believe in you.

oh wait, i'm on a hockey message board not my therapist's couch?

Luckily he has a support group in Baertschi and Pouliot. Unfortunately Leipsic is also part of the group.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm no fan of Chiasson but I do acknowledge the fact that Chiasson has been an NHL player and Petan has not. I do think Chiasson is a better fit than Petan both on the PP and in the lineup given Chiasson is a big bodied right winger. Petan's value was that he can play C but so can Miller and Dowling.

Dowling ahead of Petan I totally get and predicted. Dowling on the PP makes me shake my head every time.

Chiasson is a complete liability at even-strength. His PP value isn't anything beyond "stand here with your stick on the ice" and even then, he's barely successful at that.

I guess Dowling has more "utility", but again, they're playing him on PP2 for some reason.

I'd rather have Petan in the lineup over these guys.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Has cleared waivers according to CapFriendly. A bit surprised
Why are you surprised? He’s at the age where he is what he is basically, which is a small skilled player who isn’t skilled enough for an nhl top 6 and he doesn’t really bring much to an nhl bottom 6, career ahl star

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Why are you surprised? He’s at the age where he is what he is basically, which is a small skilled player who isn’t skilled enough for an nhl top 6 and he doesn’t really bring much to an nhl bottom 6, career ahl star

have you seen Arizona’s forward lineup?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really? I'm sure as hell not. Petan sucks. Was worried he'd be the next Vey/Granlundesque coach's teddy bear. Still might be. Could see him going in for Podkolzin...not that I wouldn't take Pod over him 10/10.

Exactly. No idea why anyone would be surprised that Petan cleared waivers. Petan has been placed on waivers like 3? times in his career and cleared every single time.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really? What possibly makes you think they arent intentionally tanking now? Chychrun is like the only actual player they have.

I think Melvin is having trouble believing that a team that went out and acquired Loui, Roussel, and Beagle would be intentionally tanking.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has cleared waivers according to CapFriendly. A bit surprised
I'm not really surprised at all, he's been waiver-eligible for the past couple of seasons, and went through waivers a couple of times already in Winnipeg and TO.

He's now 26--a smallish forward who really can't play anywhere in your bottom six, and could never crack the top-six in VanCity. On the positive side, he's close to a ppg player at the AHL level, so should really help Abbotsford. And he's good depth in the organization in the event of injuries.

The only guys who regularly get claimed on waivers are depth defenders, or the odd veteran goalie. And of course young, physical forwards like Gadjovich and MacEwen always pique the interest of other NHL teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad