Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Picked up an assist early in Tuesdays playoff opener (BIK won 4-2), and has a PP goal so far today on a nice slap shot from the point. BIK are up 2-0 through 1.

Edit**

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I wish his skating issues could be fixed but unless you see a Horvat level change he will be in Sweden for his career. It will be a good career. The rest of his game is good to great.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
BIK (Karlsson's team) secured victory in their series vs Västerås (won 3 games to 1), and will now most likely face #3 seed Björklöven in the semi-finals (Timra being the top ranked team, gets to choose their opponent, and then BIK plays the remaining team). Karlsson was held pointless in this morning 1-0 win, but recorded 2G 2A in the 4GP.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Karlsson's team won their opening game of the semifinals in overtime this morning. Linus scored the game tying goal late in the 3rd period that sent things to overtime.
This kid's production warrants more discussion. When compared to other prospects playing in the Allvenskan such as Oskar Steen/Lundestrom. Montreal's 2nd round pick in the same draft isn't close to Karlsson's numbers.

It's too bad there's hardly any video of his play. All we need is bottom 6 players upfront and this could be one of them.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
This kid's production warrants more discussion. When compared to other prospects playing in the Allvenskan such as Oskar Steen/Lundestrom. Montreal's 2nd round pick in the same draft isn't close to Karlsson's numbers.

It's too bad there's hardly any video of his play. All we need is bottom 6 players upfront and this could be one of them.

His shot, skills, and smarts are all very good and he definitely has 3rd line upside imo, but it's all going to come down to skating and conditioning (both endurance + strength). The strength issue should improve as he matures physically, but he skates like Eriksson (the resemblance is uncanny) when it comes to explosiveness + agility. Hopefully the Canucks are working with/encouraging him to focus on improving his skating, but if he can't fix this issue...his potential will be limited to a career AHL/SHLer imo.

That said, there's still time for those improvements to be made, and I'm very much looking forward to him playing in the AHL/SHL (Hopefully he signs with a SHL team if he stays in Sweden, and his team doesn't get promoted) next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His shot, skills, and smarts are all very good and he definitely has 3rd line upside imo, but it's all going to come down to skating and conditioning (both endurance + strength). The strength issue should improve as he matures physically, but he skates like Eriksson (the resemblance is uncanny) when it comes to explosiveness + agility. Hopefully the Canucks are working with/encouraging him to focus on improving his skating, but if he can't fix this issue...his potential will be limited to a career AHL/SHLer imo.

That said, there's still time for those improvements to be made, and I'm very much looking forward to him playing in the AHL/SHL (Hopefully he signs with a SHL team if he stays in Sweden, and his team doesn't get promoted) next season.
Does he have the character (internal toughness) to play in the NHL? Sounds like you describe who won’t be a scorer, so he’s going to have to contribute by being hard on and off pucks to lay against. That Costmar kid plays that way (which I’m trying to describe as needed if not having NHL scoring skills) but does Karlsson?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Does he have the character (internal toughness) to play in the NHL? Sounds like you describe who won’t be a scorer, so he’s going to have to contribute by being hard on and off pucks to lay against. That Costmar kid plays that way (which I’m trying to describe as needed if not having NHL scoring skills) but does Karlsson?

The scouting report on him is that he's an intelligent player on both sides of the ice. Not sure about internal toughness, but unlike Costmar, Karlsson is ~6'3" so he has a good sized frame. I think it's going to be his skating that holds him back. You can think one step ahead but you got to be quick enough to get to the spots you want to get to.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If he can contribute like someone like JT Miller that would be a huge bonus

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he will be 22 later this year. he is finishing his 3rd year in the allskevan. hopefully covid has played a part in holding him back but to me it is now or never. if he does not sign an elc this offseason then he is surely done. he should be in the ahl if he is a prospect. the shl only makes sense if covid makes coming to north america impractical, but that makes him a longshot.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

Karlsson goes to the hard areas, and plays a solid two-way game. Just needs to add some strength, and quickness.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he will be 22 later this year. he is finishing his 3rd year in the allskevan. hopefully covid has played a part in holding him back but to me it is now or never. if he does not sign an elc this offseason then he is surely done. he should be in the ahl if he is a prospect. the shl only makes sense if covid makes coming to north america impractical, but that makes him a longshot.

I agree that the Canucks should sign him to an ELC, but I don't see it as a now or never situation. Swedish hockey players playing in the SHL before coming over to North America to play seems important to success.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard to know what to make of the Allsvenskan these days.....the guy Karlsson was traded for--Dahlin--is putting up McDavid numbers in the same league.

I think the best that can be hoped for at this stage, is that Karlsson graduates to the SHL next season and continues his scoring pace. I doubt the Canucks waste a contract slot on him until he proves himself in that league.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If the Canucks sign Karlsson for next season it's a 3-year ELC; the term decreases if they wait beyond next season. I don't know much about this player but it's not as though there's an overload of centre depth in the organization. If they think he might have something, might as well give him a chance rather than re-signing someone like Jasek who will turn 24 this summer and has very little chance of ever playing in the NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If the Canucks sign Karlsson for next season it's a 3-year ELC; the term decreases if they wait beyond next season. I don't know much about this player but it's not as though there's an overload of centre depth in the organization. If they think he might have something, might as well give him a chance rather than re-signing someone like Jasek who will turn 24 this summer and has very little chance of ever playing in the NHL.
I thought Jasek would be a good AHLer for life, still useful no?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

To me, I think he might benefit from playing in the SHL so I don't see a 3 year vs 2 year ELC as that big of a deal. Whatever is best for his development but under normal circumstances it would be nice to see how he fares in the AHL.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
To me, I think he might benefit from playing in the SHL so I don't see a 3 year vs 2 year ELC as that big of a deal. Whatever is best for his development but under normal circumstances it would be nice to see how he fares in the AHL.

Agreed. AHL would be my #1 choice, and SHL if that doesn't happen. If he's still in the Allsvenskan next year...things start getting dubious in terms of potential/development (he's already proven to be a top player in the Allsvenskan).

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
I read last night some positive vibes on Carson Focht, who I'd think would occupy one of the center spots at Utica. All for signing Linus Karlsson and let him gain North American experience, but wonder if two players of a similar mold (?) at Utica would work.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I read last night some positive vibes on Carson Focht, who I'd think would occupy one of the center spots at Utica. All for signing Linus Karlsson and let him gain North American experience, but wonder if two players of a similar mold (?) at Utica would work.

They may have the same 3rd/4th line C potential (though Karlsson's upside is higher imo), but they don't play similar styles. Focht is a classic high energy, North/South shoot 1st type C...while Karlsson is a more cerebral, playmaking two-way forward. I see Karlsson starting in the top 6 for Utica next season (If he signs) and Focht as a middle 6 C, so I don't think they'll overlap/block each others development.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
They may have the same 3rd/4th line C potential (though Karlsson's upside is higher imo), but they don't play similar styles. Focht is a classic high energy, North/South shoot 1st type C...while Karlsson is a more cerebral, playmaking two-way forward. I see Karlsson starting in the top 6 for Utica next season (If he signs) and Focht as a middle 6 C, so I don't think they'll overlap/block each others development.

Cool. And I guess Lind/Jasek can always be moved away from center position anyway. Let's hope we get Karlsson on this path sooner than later!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad