Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Justin Bailey to 1-Year, $700K Deal (Two-Way)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Was a former Buffalo 2nd rounder.

Lots of tools - size, skating, shot - and can make occasionally highlight reel plays that are really impressive for his size. Unfortunately no tool box or hockey sense at all and couldn't turn those tools into anything resembling a top-6 forward.

Problem is that he plays like a top-6 forward and is extremely soft for his size. Not engaged, not physical, not effective defensively. If he played a heavy high-motor game probably could be a solid bottom-6 guy but just doesn't at all.

Likely 2nd liner in Utica.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
6'4", 214 lbs, hmm...

Problem is that he plays like a top-6 forward and is extremely soft for his size. Not engaged, not physical, not effective defensively. If he played a heavy high-motor game probably could be a solid bottom-6 guy but just doesn't at all.

Aw man

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
$700,000 at the NHL level according to Capfriendly.

I'm hopeful that between him, Graovac, Camper and Perron, Utica will have a much stronger team this year.

Reactions: Red

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm hopeful that between him, Graovac, Camper and Perron, Utica will have a much stronger team this year.

Keep in mind that Gaunce, Kero, Archibald/Pyatt have all left, and Gaunce and Kero are the two best AHLers in that group of players. So things look much the same.

I have few hopes that Kole Lind will be an NHLer for this team, but hopefully he can provide some quality 2nd/3rd line utility on the farm over the next two years.

Blueline is the real issue, with Sifers and McEneny leaving and no veterans coming in yet to replace them.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Would like to see a solid veteran D-man signing for Utica, but overall a big improvement in terms of taking care of farm team after absolute disaster last year.

It's such a shame that it takes multiple years of terrible results, prospects flatlining, and intense scrutiny for them to finally change something that is obviously not working. Just screams of an understaffed and out of their depth management group.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Would like to see a solid veteran D-man signing for Utica, but overall a big improvement in terms of taking care of farm team after absolute disaster last year.

It's such a shame that it takes multiple years of terrible results, prospects flatlining, and intense scrutiny for them to finally change something that is obviously not working. Just screams of an understaffed and out of their depth management group.

I still don't understand how Ryan Johnson got put in charge of Utica without any related experience. And I say this as someone who liked him as a player.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I still don't understand how Ryan Johnson got put in charge of Utica without any related experience. And I say this as someone who liked him as a player.

It's almost like former players shouldn't be managers and administrators.

Reactions: Josepho

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I mean to be fair he worked his way up to that position, started out helping out as a player development coach, got promoted to Director of player development in 2016 and given the Utica GM title in 2017. He does have Pat Conacher has his Director of Hockey Ops, doing a lot of the day to day work for the Comets too I suspect.

Reactions: sting101

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I mean to be fair he worked his way up to that position, started out helping out as a player development coach, got promoted to Director of player development in 2016 and given the Utica GM title in 2017. He does have Pat Conacher has his Director of Hockey Ops, doing a lot of the day to day work for the Comets too I suspect.
Peter principle. He didn't work his way up, they just kept giving him bigger positions. Nothing he's done in development or running the Comets shows competency.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Every year there's a new 'theme' based on what the previous Cup winner did, and it does appear that this summer's theme is BIG WINGERS.

indeed, but it's been a year now. here comes the big wing. tally ho!

duxford-wing.jpg

Reactions: daddyohsix

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Justin Bailey is a better hockey player than William Nylander right now.
You must mean 'Alex' Nylander, the other Nylander drafted by Buffalo in the first round. Both Alex Nylander and Justin Bailey played in Rochester, but obviously Bailey isn't better than 'William" Nylander of the Leafs.

The other ex-Buffalo farmhand I was wondering about was Nicholas Baptiste...still unsigned...at one time the Canucks seemed to have some interest in him.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Peter principle. He didn't work his way up, they just kept giving him bigger positions. Nothing he's done in development or running the Comets shows competency.

(Cracks Knuckles)

The Peter Principle just talks about how someone "working their way up" isn't necessarily the best as there may be skills for the new position that the person doesn't have because they didn't need them in the previous position. It basically just shows the flaws and pitfalls of having someone "work their way up".

Unless you deem "working your way up" significantly different from "promoting from within" than you're dealing with semantics.

Now back to the discussion at hand. One thing I do wonder is how much Ryan Johnson does day to day with the Comets vs how much he hands off to Pat Conacher. I also wonder how much that has changed since he took over 2 years ago too. As you said, his experience was lacking in a managerial/hockey ops role and I'm guessing that Conacher had a lot of say in the personnel decisions early on while Johnson learned the role better.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
(Cracks Knuckles)

The Peter Principle just talks about how someone "working their way up" isn't necessarily the best as there may be skills for the new position that the person doesn't have because they didn't need them in the previous position. It basically just shows the flaws and pitfalls of having someone "work their way up".

Unless you deem "working your way up" significantly different from "promoting from within" than you're dealing with semantics.

Now back to the discussion at hand. One thing I do wonder is how much Ryan Johnson does day to day with the Comets vs how much he hands off to Pat Conacher. I also wonder how much that has changed since he took over 2 years ago too. As you said, his experience was lacking in a managerial/hockey ops role and I'm guessing that Conacher had a lot of say in the personnel decisions early on while Johnson learned the role better.
Aquaman hiring practices at the Corleone empire: " Looking to hire people for high level executive positions. No experience required. Learn on the job"

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You forgot to include

"Mentorship provided."

Which is really what I'm trying to get at here.
That's too bad though the three big keyhires at the start had no such mentor on the parent club (President, GM and Head Coach). Though I do realize that Pat Quinn was supposed to be brought in as a consultant; Fredo had no backup plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad