Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Justin Bailey to 1-Year, $700K Deal (Two-Way)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks have close to $11m tied up under the salary cap for Eriksson, Beagle and Schaller. Just think who they could sign with that money freed up. Jake Gardiner or maybe a Marcus Johansson and Michael Ferland, or maybe all three of them. What an upgrade that would be.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Bailey is a player you think should be more noticeable but somehow isn't. Saw him in games vs. the Comets and he never seemed an obvious factor although he did score a little. Don't think he uses size to much effect and plays more of a skill game.

However another decent piece to Utica but his NHL career has more or less flat lined.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Was a former Buffalo 2nd rounder.

Lots of tools - size, skating, shot - and can make occasionally highlight reel plays that are really impressive for his size. Unfortunately no tool box or hockey sense at all and couldn't turn those tools into anything resembling a top-6 forward.

Problem is that he plays like a top-6 forward and is extremely soft for his size. Not engaged, not physical, not effective defensively. If he played a heavy high-motor game probably could be a solid bottom-6 guy but just doesn't at all.

Likely 2nd liner in Utica.
Sounds like a Taylor Pyatt clone

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bailey is a big boy and he can skate.... Pretty excited about this guy......

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Bailey is also from Buffalo, only a few hours west of Utica.

I don't mind him. Adds a righty and someone with more offensive abilities than Guance.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Justin_Bailey.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports he has all the tools but lacks the toolbox. Not sure at 24 how much upside there might be. But a guy who stands 6'4" and 215 and can skate the way he can, gets my attention.

Was considered a 'bit of project' when the Sabers drafted him 52nd overall in 2013. A decent scorer at the AHL level, who'll help Utica for sure.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well at least we're actually getting players for Utica this year, kudos. It only took literally years but better late than never.

Are we?

All we’ve done is swapped Kero, Gaunce and Pratt for Perron, Graovac, and Bailey which is a wash at best. And lost the team’s most experienced two defenders and replaced them with nothing as yet.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Are we?

All we’ve done is swapped Kero, Gaunce and Pratt for Perron, Graovac, and Bailey which is a wash at best. And lost the team’s most experienced two defenders and replaced them with nothing as yet.

Treading water furiously always finds a few fans.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Are we?

Fair enough but IMO that is better than periods in the past when players would leave and nobody would take their place. Like you know, with goalies....

I'm trying to be even-handed and stuff here, stop ruining it! ;)

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I still don't understand how Ryan Johnson got put in charge of Utica without any related experience. And I say this as someone who liked him as a player.

Awesome... more dead end vets to keep the future of the Canucks from developing in UTICA. Ryan Johnson's and GMJB's need to win in UTICA has to be stopped, let the kids play for the love of H-E-double hockey sticks.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Awesome... more dead end vets to keep the future of the Canucks from developing in UTICA. Ryan Johnson's and GMJB's need to win in UTICA has to be stopped, let the kids play for the love of H-E-double hockey sticks.

You obviously have little knowledge of how good of a league the AhL is. It's not like the Canucks have some can't miss prospects.
What few prospects they have are major projects and without proper support around them will get killed.....

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Solid player for the Comets.

Kero Gaunce Archy/Pyatt Dahlen Gaudette Sifers McEneny Demko so far replaced with Bailey Camper Graovac Perron Lind(in a bigger role) Rafferty Tevez Eliot(may end up in the ECHL) McIntyre/DiPietro.

Hopefully Juolevi Sautner Chatfield can be healthy on defense and some stability down the middle. Losing Gaudette all year did not help nor the stupidity with Gagner.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well at least we're actually getting players for Utica this year, kudos. It only took literally years but better late than never.
It only feels like Utica was depleted last year is because so many bodies disappeared as the season went on. Leipsic, Carcone, and Dahlen were all traded (or claimed) for nothing back to Utica. Gagner didn't go to Utica, he went to the Marlies. Baertschi, Sutter played less than 30 games, they might as well not even be counted as players. That's 6 players that disappear from the depth chart for nothing coming back.

The good thing with these signings is we're getting more offensively talented players back. Bailey, Graovac, Camper better players than Kero/Gaunce/Carcone. They distribute the puck better than Carcone and Gaunce especially. But, the trade for J.T Miller adds a player and will push Motte/Goldobin/Schaller down the line-up. The top of the line-up is important because the bottom 6 are dime a dozen players usually at the AHL level. Guys like Hamilton, Bancks, Woods.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The good thing with these signings is we're getting more offensively talented players back. Bailey, Graovac, Camper better players than Kero/Gaunce/Carcone. They distribute the puck better than Carcone and Gaunce especially. But, the trade for J.T Miller adds a player and will push Motte/Goldobin/Schaller down the line-up. The top of the line-up is important because the bottom 6 are dime a dozen players usually at the AHL level. Guys like Hamilton, Bancks, Woods.

I don't think you can say we're getting more offensively talented players back. Kero, I think, is the best player of the bunch. If you compare NHL totals, Kero is better than Graovac and Gaunce is certainly a better puck distributor than Bailey. Camper is an AHL pro.

Reactions: MS

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't think you can say we're getting more offensively talented players back. Kero, I think, is the best player of the bunch. If you compare NHL totals, Kero is better than Graovac and Gaunce is certainly a better puck distributor than Bailey. Camper is an AHL pro.
I compared the last 2 seasons of all players in the AHL because that is hopefully where they will play. Camper has the best PPG followed by Kero, Gravoac, and Gaunce. Gaunce, Kero, and Graovac are tied in GPG.

Stats don't tell the story, Kero and Gaunce are better two-way forwards who can step into the NHL better. Camper looks like a great fit for Lind/Jasek/Gadjovich to play with though. Camper was keeping up with Strome and Crouse in playoff scoring 2 years ago.

Rochester has a few disappointing prospects like Nylander, Cornel, and Asplund. I think Bailey has some potential, he's a good checker for a big guy and skates well.

Point totals obviously aren't the best measure, but I know Gaunce and Kero got top forward minutes and PP minutes. I don't know if that was the case for Bailey or Graovac.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad