Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Jason Dickinson to 3-Year, $7.95M Deal ($2.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather be wasting money in 22-23 when we don't have a chance at a Cup than in 24-25 or 25-26 when hopefully we do.

The ideal thing with Dickinson/Poolman would just be to package up some picks and prospects with them to get the full tickets out of here to an Ottawa or Arizona. Dickinson is useful enough that some team might take him if we give up a 3rd.

Absolutely. It's another version of the Beagle / Roussel contracts heading into this season. Like yes, they're bad, but it's over soon enough, and the team isn't contending during that time. If things go better than expected in 2023-24 and the team is a legit contender, then sure, move Dickinson at the deadline with a low pick to a floor team who will be happy to get an asset for an expiring contract.

Poolman is definitely worse because he's not a roster worthy player and he has an extra year of term (how??), so if someone is willing to take his contract now with the hopes that he can bounce back into something, then that would be great. Maybe a dumb team with a bad defense like Edmonton or Philly would bite. Or a smart team that's rebuilding, like Anaheim or New Jersey.

As has been discussed here many times, good GMs can create something out of nothing based on their team's position in the rebuilding cycle by taking on players like Poolman with any excess cap space for assets. Would've been nice if we had done that vs just signing them to bad deals, but hey.

Reactions: MarkMM and Fatass

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The whole thing with Dickinson, and the disappointment with his results this year...ultimately comes down to misguided expectations.

I don't really know why some people expected him to step in as the "anchor piece" on a 3rd line. He's never been that.

He's a useful player though. He just needs to be put in the right sort of situation like he was in Dallas. He's that "jack of all trades, master of none" Top-9 Filler "complementary forward" you keep around because he can do a little bit of anything as needed. But you don't pencil him in as a key part of anything.

Ideally, he's a sort of 3rd/4th line winger, who can telescope up and down the lineup as needed. Anywhere from the 4th line to the 1st line as a temporary fill-in. Or even move to the middle of a bottom-6 line as a stopgap Center when needed. Just don't expect him to ever "drive" any line he's on. He's the bandaid guy. The Swiss Army Knife that can get the job done in a pinch, but you probably wish you had a dedicated tool for the job instead.

Despite strong skating, he's just not a "dynamic" player at all. He's a very "safe" player, and plenty competent to pitch in with whatever scenario you need. Just not going to drive the bus or wow you in any of them. Or produce big offensive numbers, or elite defensive shutdown metrics.

His contract isn't "good"...but it's also really not "bad" either. Certainly not to the point of trying to package a pick to move him, like some are suggesting. That's insane. He's not a negative contributor eating up an untenable amount of cap space like Myers or Poolboy. He's maybe $500k over what a "utility forward" like that commands on a "market value" deal. By the time you account for the "contract premium" for playing not only in Canada, but Vancouver on top of that...it's probably more or less a market contract.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I expect him to have a good year next year. He had lots of chances but just couldnt finish. Ideally I think he would do well with someone like Hoglander or Garland where he doesnt have to drive any offense and can be the defensive staple to that line. I also dont think he has the hockey IQ to be a 3rd line C but he could definitely be a 3rd line Winger who moves up the lineup with injuries.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The whole thing with Dickinson, and the disappointment with his results this year...ultimately comes down to misguided expectations.

I don't really know why some people expected him to step in as the "anchor piece" on a 3rd line. He's never been that.

Say what?

People had high expectations because the team paid a pretty high draft pick for him, paid him like a core 3rd line guy, and talked him up as a matchup 3rd line C.

A few of us tried explaining why this was a bad deal and a bad contract. But most people just flowed with the narrative that we'd acquired a quality shutdown 3rd line C and of course they're disappointed.

If we'd traded a 6th round pick for him and paid him $1.2 million, there wouldn't be any criticism.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

He's a useful player though. He just needs to be put in the right sort of situation like he was in Dallas. He's that "jack of all trades, master of none" Top-9 Filler "complementary forward" you keep around because he can do a little bit of anything as needed. But you don't pencil him in as a key part of anything.

Ideally, he's a sort of 3rd/4th line winger, who can telescope up and down the lineup as needed. Anywhere from the 4th line to the 1st line as a temporary fill-in. Or even move to the middle of a bottom-6 line as a stopgap Center when needed. Just don't expect him to ever "drive" any line he's on. He's the bandaid guy. The Swiss Army Knife that can get the job done in a pinch, but you probably wish you had a dedicated tool for the job instead.

Despite strong skating, he's just not a "dynamic" player at all. He's a very "safe" player, and plenty competent to pitch in with whatever scenario you need. Just not going to drive the bus or wow you in any of them. Or produce big offensive numbers, or elite defensive shutdown metrics.
You described a lot of replacement level guys. Not a good trade or contract.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna

Fan expectations mean nothing. If you're drastically overpaid for what you provide, you're negative value to the team. It doesn't matter if we expect him to be a 2-way stud or a replacement level player, he's being paid 3x his value. Highmore and Lammikko both provide more at a fraction of the cost.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Put this one down to the Canucks legendary 'pro scouting' expertise. Dickinson was just another in an endless list of personnel mistakes by the previous regime. Dickinson also cost them a third round draft pick and then signed another albatross contract that will be almost impossible to get rid of.

And I suppose you can put Poolman in the same category, but at least they didn't surrender a draft pick for him. But there are so many guys acquired to valuable picks who never came close to matching their projections that you just get numb after awhile. It is what is is (was).

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to hand it to Stars GM Jim Nill.....He was crying crocodile tears about how much of a character player Dickinson was, and how they hated to trade him.

Of course all the while knowing they'd lose him in the expansion draft nothing. And even if he wasn't picked by Seattle, there's no chance Stars were going to cough up to re-sign him. So he'd have left as a UFA when Nill didn't qualify him.

So up steps Jimbo as the willing Patsy. He coughs up a third round draft pick, and then doubled down by signing him to a three year contract. GM's like NIll and player agents around the league must be in serious mourning with all the changes in VanCity.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You have to hand it to Stars GM Jim Nill.....He was crying crocodile tears about how much of a character player Dickinson was, and how they hated to trade him.

Of course all the while knowing they'd lose him in the expansion draft nothing. And even if he wasn't picked by Seattle, there's no chance Stars were going to cough up to re-sign him. So he'd have left as a UFA when Nill didn't qualify him.

So up steps Jimbo as the willing Patsy. He coughs up a third round draft pick, and then doubled down by signing him to a three year contract. GM's like NIll and player agents around the league must be in serious mourning with all the changes in VanCity.
Found photo of Benning after two hours of poor results on the draft simulator:

1652218236327.png

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He was utilized as a top 9 forward in Dallas in his last season there and was seen as a 3rd line C target. The contract he signed was also about what Dallas expected him to sign for.

He was definitely acquired to be and paid to be a core piece on the 3rd line.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It will be hard for Dickinson to be as bad next season as he was this one. He should be a player that can pressure the puck and set the tone for effort at the very least. Hopefully he gets adjusted to being a multi-millionaire over the summer and comes into camp ready to be his best self.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I posted this a couple hours after we signed him. People thought I was “being negative”
I was bang on

When we signed JD 95% of this board was so happy about it. There was this one poster who had the foresight to know better. I just wanted to bump this for him.

Guys got 25 goals in 260 nhl games. He’s a 20 point forward who’s shit at face offs. Not sure you need to go 3 years with a player you can get in FA literally every year.
Guys got 25 goals in 260 nhl games. He’s a 20 point forward who’s shit at face offs. Not sure you need to go 3 years with a player you can get in FA literally every year.

yep. The deal is just so so. Money is about right. The term is crazy for a 5 goal scorer. No need to tie up a 3 year deal. These guys are available sheet off season.

It’s very meh. Benning finally realized not to give out NMC anymore but he’s giving bums and barely NHL players 3/4 year deals. That’s insane for the Poolmans and Dickensons

Sure hope not. Cuz if so, we spent 8 million dollars for approx 20 goals in the next 3 years.

You don’t tie up 8 million dollars over 3 years for a player that scores at a level that you could get from one of your AHL players at league minimum.

you could get Dickensons 6 goals from Nic Petan or Matthew Highmore with no term and league minimum.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You absolutely were not the only poster to think it was a bad trade and bad signing.

Edit: Went through and read a about the first 7 pages or so. There's a few others who really did not like the contract or trade. You were definitely the most...persistent in your dislike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad