Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Conor Garland to 5-Year Deal ($4.95M AAV)

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Based on what i've read:

He can play both RW and LW but is a RHS.
He is a bit more of a playmaker but can finish plays
Good on the shootout
Very good skater
He DRIVES offense. creates chances. not a top 6 passenger type player
Has a bit of grit...maybe "determination" is a better word.
Mini-Marchand ... ive read that a few times (whatever that means)
Legit top6 forward and potential to be a first liner.

I don't know... to me, he seems like he'd be a perfect fit with Jt. Miller as his Center.

If Podkolzin comes in and is a legit top6 contributor (i know that's a big "if"), maybe we'll see
Podkolzin Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Garland Jt. Miller (whoever).

Three scoring lines..imagine not being hemmed in your own zone 45 minutes a night. Wouldn't that be something?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Based on what i've read:

He can play both RW and LW but is a RHS.
He is a bit more of a playmaker but can finish plays
Good on the shootout
Very good skater
He DRIVES offense. creates chances. not a top 6 passenger type player
Has a bit of grit...maybe "determination" is a better word.
Mini-Marchand ... ive read that a few times (whatever that means)
Legit top6 forward and potential to be a first liner.

I don't know... to me, he seems like he'd be a perfect fit with Jt. Miller as his Center.

If Podkolzin comes in and is a legit top6 contributor (i know that's a big "if"), maybe we'll see
Podkolzin Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Hoglander
Garland Jt. Miller (whoever).

Three scoring lines..imagine not being hemmed in your own zone 45 minutes a night. Wouldn't that be something?

We didnt trade for Dickenson to be a 4C or a winger.

3rd line of Pearson- Dickenson0 Podkolzin will be amazing defensivly that can chip in offence. That will be huge especially in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Indiana

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
We didnt trade for Dickenson to be a 4C or a winger.

3rd line of Pearson- Dickenson0 Podkolzin will be amazing defensivly that can chip in offence. That will be huge especially in a 7 game series.
I think you're getting hung up on titles, "4c" etc. Really good teams have players playing 4C that would be good enough to be a 3C on other teams.
I bet you they'll run three scoring lines with Jt. Miller , Petey and Horvat all being the middle pivot. There was something that came out of Canucks management that said something to this effect.
Anyways, if the Canucks get behind and need a goal, they can load up the top 6 and rely on Dickenson to play 3C like you posted above for sure.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a talented player. I wanted him badly back in 2015 and had him in the 2nd round.

He has really quick hands and plays with tempo. Silky stickhandler, good in shootouts. Not a burner but fairly shifty on his skates and able to make space for himself. Is a small guy who is slightly built.

Has some grit/jam but has never been put in any sort of high-leverage minutes. Arizona has given him some of the softest zone starts in the league so he doesn't have to defend much.

How he'll produce here will depend on usage, but he's definitely a top-6 forward.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Not as sold on Garland. His splits were horrendous basically stat padded vs the bad teams in the west

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really like Garland. He's a guy that can impact the game both offensively and defensively. It's going to be fun watching Garland, Hoglander, and Pods on the wings.

Reactions: The ultimate fan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not as sold on Garland. His splits were horrendous basically stat padded vs the bad teams in the west

Vegas and Colorado were two of top three teams in terms of GA last year, and he played Minnesota mainly toward the end of the year when they were hot. Hard to fault him too much there. Plus SJ, LA, and Ana are all going to still be bad and still be in his division next year.

Last edited:

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Interesting how management opted for a smaller player in Garland. His playstyle seems to be 'big' though, similar to Hoglander.
Fast/determined/feisty/creative forecheckers is definitely what Green's system needs and I have a feeling he'll succeed.

Hopefully our centers are up to the task of covering up whatever defensive limitations he might have but at least the top 9 feels like it should be highly competitive with the rest of the league.

Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting how management opted for a smaller player in Garland. His playstyle seems to be 'big' though, similar to Hoglander.
Fast/determined/feisty/creative forecheckers is definitely what Green's system needs and I have a feeling he'll succeed.

Hopefully our centers are up to the task of covering up whatever defensive limitations he might have but at least the top 9 feels like it should be highly competitive with the rest of the league.

Our forward acquisitions so far should improve the team defensively but our defense...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
5 year/$4.5 mil contract?

I wonder if they could get him down to closer to $4 mil on an 8 year...

I would do that 5 year deal. I would be hesitant to go too long on term for him. He's a small guy who goes to the dirty areas and takes a pounding. Hard to predict how he would age.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Probably a tad low but I would shoot for something similar to what NYR did with Goodrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad