Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Adam Cracknell (1-Year, 2-Way Deal - $575K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Now Anaheim's 4th line is great.

Santorelli will likely see time on every line there. A multi-faceted, multi-position player capable of putting up solid ES numbers from lower lines at under $1m is exactly what smart management groups do, but I guess Anaheim already has players to carry culture and lead.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Santorelli will likely see time on every line there. A multi-faceted, multi-position player capable of putting up solid ES numbers from lower lines at under $1m is exactly what smart management groups do, but I guess Anaheim already has players to carry culture and lead.
Santorelli is a career journeyman who is forever due to bounce around team to team every year. He's not the player you are dreaming up.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Santorelli is a career journeyman who is forever due to bounce around team to team every year. He's not the player you are dreaming up.

Sure, hes bounced around. Doesn't change the fact hes produced at a fringe top-6 rate the past 2 years.

I don't know how this can be viewed as anything but a good, depth move for Anaheim...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I guess that's one of the downsides of trying to project fringe NHL'ers at times. Nowadays you can just sign a legitimate top 9 forward for peanuts and have that luxury spill over onto your 4th line - Lee Stempniak for instance, who's still unsigned, went for 900k last season and looks to do the same again this year. Likewise with Santorelli.

Yeah, there's a huge market inequality there.

Veteran 3rd line types who don't do anything flashy are severely under-rated by the market right now. A team on the ball can moneyball their way to ridiculous depth this way.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I guess you're inferring "McCann isn't much bloody good at hockey", since that seems to be the only place Benning actually used that expression?

I don't think that's what he thinks of McCann...
You know.. in reference to the one time he's ever used the phrase.

I was using the obviously overused phrase to comment on Benning's supposed plan for the team, where players like Dorsett, Sbisa, Sutter and Prust are acquired and/or signed to contracts based on things other than actually being good at hockey.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Handy system guy to have as a 14th-15th forward and callup. Looked good for St. Louis late in the season a couple years ago and like he might be able to stick in the NHL full-time, but foundered a bit in Columbus last year. Basically replaces DeFazio's spot in the system and in the Utica lineup.

Local guy also, although he was born in Saskatchewan he grew up in Victoria.
When did he move. There was an Adam Crack Nelly that played in sask and is the same age as this guy

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i joked a little bit but honestly this is a good depth signing. NHL experience, can add some grit, and shouldn't be a liability if he gets into the lineup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Santorelli has evolved into a Chris Higgins type player. A good signing with the Ducks.

Anyways, the Canucks are simply in a different position than the Ducks. The Ducks are filling their team with NHL players who will take up roster spots. The Canucks' roster is pretty much set with room for guys like Baertschi and Corrado penciled into the lineup.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Veteran 3rd line types who don't do anything flashy are severely under-rated by the market right now. A team on the ball can moneyball their way to ridiculous depth this way.

We could've been doing that too and selling them off to contenders at the trade deadline as rentals in return for picks if we're out of the playoff race... if this regime actually knew what moneyball was.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Another reason why quality over beats quantity in trades. You can easily re-acquire any depth lost in a trade.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
We could've been doing that too and selling them off to contenders at the trade deadline as rentals in return for picks if we're out of the playoff race... if this regime actually knew what moneyball was.

I've been advocating this strategy since the SJ 1st round sweep. Toronto did it perfectly with Winnik and Santorelli last year. They gave David Booth a shot as well but nothing gained, nothing lost while they essentially just bought draft picks by signing Winnik/Santorelli and flipping them.

Fantastic strategy to re-tool if the goal isn't to bottom out from day 1.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I remember Dallas doing the same with Jagr a few seasons ago as well. I've always wanted us to do that, the closest I can think of is signing Sturm and trading him after 5 games or so for Booth (that still isn't a very good example though).

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
If Van was to buy picks like the Leafs have done, it means they'd be developing their youth with a bunch of guys who aren't really dedicated to the team, just playing to get traded or for a paycheque.

From my own experience, it's damn frustrating to be all in while some other teamates don't really have their heart in it. If we're out of the playoff race then hell yeah we should move expiring contracts that aren't re-signing, but on the other hand, what does that do for the identity of the team and the development of youth? I think management has a good point when you look at what playoff experience can do for a young player. Would the returns on Matthias/Richardson/Stanton outweigh the development of Horvat down the stretch and into the playoffs? I'm not so sure that's an easy decision. Rebuilding the team faster vs developing youth in a better environment. Then again, it's a WAY different scenario this season, with names like Vrbata and Hamhuis that could potentially return 1st round picks.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Cracknell, another bruiser added to the roster. Even the depth he is adding is physical and gritty. Does Benning really want to rumble in the bronx or what?

Remember Gillis adds guys like Krog to the AHL. Benning is adding Cracknell to the roster to surround Cassels. And you just know Cracknell will play on the Canucks when injuries hit.

Talk about getting tougher and more physical this season. These are all guys who forecheck and hit:

- Dorsett
- Prust
- Kenins
- Cracknell
- Burrows
- Hansen
- Virtanen
- Horvat

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Didn't Santorelli quietly sign with the Ducks this year ? I recall it was for peanuts. Like, less than 900K.

:laugh: There it is.

The thing with Santorelli is that he's a guy who is going to eat up a surefire NHL spot. He's going to be...on your roster, playing offensive minutes that i'd much rather see going to a young player like Baertschi for example. Nothing against Santorelli per se...he is what he is, and for a team like the Ducks...great pickup as NHL depth. But as a guy the same hockey age as Cracknell...they're guys in two wildly different "roles" on a team.

Santorelli is...a 30 year old guy who is going to eat up prime minutes and do pretty alright with them for maybe half a season and then disappear. The sort of minutes a "rebuilding" team ought to be opening the door on for young players to take.

Cracknell is...a 30 year old guy who has shown that he can traverse waivers without real incident. And a very different sort of player.

Thus...Cracknell is a "superb AHL signing", while a guy like Santorelli is a "mediocre NHL signing even at that bargain price". It's about laying an organization...not just collecting all the "best players" like Pokemons. If Santorelli could slide up and down from Utica all season long this year...that would be something to consider. But that doesn't appear to be the case. Different niches entirely.

If Van was to buy picks like the Leafs have done, it means they'd be developing their youth with a bunch of guys who aren't really dedicated to the team, just playing to get traded or for a paycheque.

From my own experience, it's damn frustrating to be all in while some other teamates don't really have their heart in it. If we're out of the playoff race then hell yeah we should move expiring contracts that aren't re-signing, but on the other hand, what does that do for the identity of the team and the development of youth? I think management has a good point when you look at what playoff experience can do for a young player. Would the returns on Matthias/Richardson/Stanton outweigh the development of Horvat down the stretch and into the playoffs? I'm not so sure that's an easy decision. Rebuilding the team faster vs developing youth in a better environment. Then again, it's a WAY different scenario this season, with names like Vrbata and Hamhuis that could potentially return 1st round picks.

Well said.

Doing the whole, "sign mercenary player ---> flip for pick" thing sounds great on a "wow the value" level. It's almost like free picks for nothing!!! :laugh: But as an actual team exercise, it's unlikely to go over so well. Awfully hard to have your "interns" buy into a culture when a bunch of the "staffers" are all..."hey man, i'm just here to punch a time card and collect a cheque until i can get transferred somewhere else".

Cracknell, another bruiser added to the roster. Even the depth he is adding is physical and gritty. Does Benning really want to rumble in the bronx or what?

Remember Gillis adds guys like Krog to the AHL. Benning is adding Cracknell to the roster to surround Cassels. And you just know Cracknell will play on the Canucks when injuries hit.

Talk about getting tougher and more physical this season. These are all guys who forecheck and hit:

- Dorsett
- Prust
- Kenins
- Cracknell
- Burrows
- Hansen
- Virtanen
- Horvat

Yeah, i don't know if it's so much about adding RAWR so Bruising to the roster strictly speaking. He's added plenty of non-bruisers as well.

But the bolded is the key for me. It's about getting a guy like Cracknell who has a solid rep for wearing his heart on his sleeve, hustling all over the ice, playing a hard-nosed physical game with energy and still being able to play hockey (and even notch some real points at the AHL level). It's a guy who brings the right attitude to the rink...AND looks like a great complement to what we have in Utica right now. Seems like an outstanding linemate for a guy like Cassels there while he's learning the ropes and making the transition. Or whoever he ends up with...a physical (AHL level) scorer who works hard, is going to be a nice fit on most any line with some skilled young kids. It shows management isn't just going out saying, "hey, lets sign the guy with the most points and best corsi"...it's about finding "fits". And it's about adding a guy as "depth" for the Canucks who can play in Utica...but when called upon, can be a high quality 4th line player in the NHL with the right situation as well.

I mean, you've got a guy who lives and breathes AHL hockey and knows the league inside and out like Brendan Burke speaking pretty highly of the guy...it can't be all bad right? :laugh:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
There is no reason Santorelli "needs" to eat prime minutes. Insinuating that a worse player is better because he's worse is simply fallacious reasoning.

I have no problem with this signing BTW.

Last edited:

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Something doesn't add up. Can any of the Santorelli pushers state a realistic reason as to why he would have remained unsigned for so long as a UFA, then sign for relatively dirt-cheap and only 1 year at a time if he is really as good as many here are claiming? His value on HF >>>>> his value in real life. Are all GM's clueless? He's treated like a depth/replacement level player by all 30 teams... but somehow only Benning is the moron.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Something doesn't add up. Can any of the Santorelli pushers state a realistic reason as to why he would have remained unsigned for so long as a UFA, then sign for relatively dirt-cheap and only 1 year at a time if he is really as good as many here are claiming? His value on HF >>>>> his value in real life. Are all GM's clueless? He's treated like a depth/replacement level player by all 30 teams... but somehow only Benning is the moron.

Yes cracknell is a good depth signing. Santorelli is also a good depth signing. You sure are angry for some reason.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Great post.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

- Dorsett
- Prust
- Kenins
- Cracknell
- Burrows
- Hansen
- Virtanen
- Horvat

I wouldn't classify Burrows, Hansen or Horvat as guys who are "physical" and hit. Virtanen hasn't played a game in the NHL so he doesn't much count either.

So that's Prust, Dorsett, Kenins and Cracknell.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

"Santorelli pushers" is kind of a misnomer. We had him in the lineup for half a season where he looked like a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener and was on pace for 47 points before injury. He then went to Toronto and did the same thing ending up being a deadline trade asset for them, though he didn't play particularly well in Nashville.

Santorelli isn't the only decent vet not getting the contract he wants, and it's because of the salary cap and league depth. There are always players like him that get left without a contract by training camp and have to accept low pay or a tryout. The whole point of ever bringing him up is that he was a cheap asset that was discarded while way payed to acquire other assets that either aren't much better (Bonino) or inferior (Vey).

Simple enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad