Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenceman Troy Stecher (post #194, #443)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He should. But I would never expect it from Tanev. Semantics.

Well, if you think that Chris Tanev 'should' be a top-10 ES offensive defender in the NHL while playing hard-as-nails shutdown minutes with 30% offensive zone starts ... then it's pretty easy to see why you find his completely average and solid offensive performance to be 'nothing' and so disappointing.

If Tanev could produce at that level offensively while doing what he does defensively, he'd be winning Norris Trophies. Your perception of ES scoring for NHL defenders is just completely out-of-whack.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Well, if you think that Chris Tanev 'should' be a top-10 ES offensive defender in the NHL while playing hard-as-nails shutdown minutes with 30% offensive zone starts ... then it's pretty easy to see why you find his completely average and solid offensive performance to be 'nothing' and so disappointing.

If Tanev could produce at that level offensively while doing what he does defensively, he'd be winning Norris Trophies. Your perception of ES scoring for NHL defenders is just completely out-of-whack.

Not much else to discuss if you perceive the way Tanev plays the game outside of the dzone as "solid offensive performance".
I think his play leaves a lot to be desired offensively.. you think he's solid... great..
back on topic...

Would love to roll with an Edler-Stecher pairing to start the season..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not much else to discuss if you perceive the way Tanev plays the game outside of the dzone as "solid offensive performance".
I think his play leaves a lot to be desired offensively.. you think he's solid... great..
back on topic...

Would love to roll with an Edler-Stecher pairing to start the season..

Then your eye test is flawed. The numbers don't lie and he consistently outproduces Edler at ES for a reason.

He isn't flashy but the fact that he consistently makes such strong decisions with the puck and good outlet passes facilitates offence for the team.

Again, the guy is consistently a ~20 ES point/82 GP defender, which is league average for a top-4 defender. His offensive performance is solid and your perception of it is incorrect.

Anyhow, yeah, Stecher is impressive. If they do the Edler pairing, it should mean Gudbranson is the guy shuffled to babysitting Sbisa on the 3rd pairing, not our best defender (and arguably best player) in Tanev.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Then your eye test is flawed. The numbers don't lie and he consistently outproduces Edler at ES for a reason.

He isn't flashy but the fact that he consistently makes such strong decisions with the puck and good outlet passes facilitates offence for the team.

Again, the guy is consistently a ~20 ES point/82 GP defender, which is league average for a top-4 defender. His offensive performance is solid and your perception of it is incorrect.

No. I disagree. His offensive ineptitude on the PP is also pretty good reflection of what kind of player Tanev is the ozone.
You can keep quoting 20 ES point rate all you want... He's a disappointment offensively.

Anyhow, yeah, Stecher is impressive. If they do the Edler pairing, it should mean Gudbranson is the guy shuffled to babysitting Sbisa on the 3rd pairing, not our best defender (and arguably best player) in Tanev.

I would rather Tanev not drag down Hutton's blossoming offensive ability... Put him with Sbisa.. give em all non-ozone starts... let Edler-Stecher and Hutton-Gudbranson ride.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No. I disagree. His offensive ineptitude on the PP is also pretty good reflection of what kind of player Tanev is the ozone.
You can keep quoting 20 ES point rate all you want... He's a disappointment offensively.

When a guy produces average ES offensive numbers for 3 straight years while playing very difficult defensive minutes, he's solid offensively. Sorry. Despite what your flawed eye test says.

How is he managing to out-produce 'offensive guy' Edler at ES every year? Black magic? Bribing the scorekeepers?

'Offence' for defenders isn't just the flashy things and shot they show in the o-zone. It's how well they manage to outlet the puck through the neutral zone and facilitate offensive zone play for their team. And Tanev is very good at this, and his production reflects it.

I would rather Tanev not drag down Hutton's blossoming offensive ability... Put him with Sbisa.. give em all non-ozone starts... let Edler-Stecher and Hutton-Gudbranson ride.

:whaaa?:

Are you serious?

Tanev would 'drag Hutton down' but Gudbranson - who is substantially worse than Tanev at both ends of the rink - is a great partner for Hutton?

You have a bizarre bias against Tanev and are just completely off in outer space here. Using your best defender as a #5 babysitter for Sbisa is ridiculous.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
This has just gotten sad. Tanev would be an anchor for Hutton but the 9 point Erik gudbranson is just what he needs for his offense.

Jesus Christ.

Quit while you're behind, dl44. Digging your heels in harder and harder is just painful to watch.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

:facepalm: :laugh:

So our best defenseman somehow is going to suppress an offensive defenseman's offensive ability? Really?

Please explain how Tanev is worse for Hutton than Gudbranson is.

This is gold Jerry, gold!

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
:facepalm: :laugh:

So our best defenseman somehow is going to suppress an offensive defenseman's offensive ability? Really?

Please explain how Tanev is worse for Hutton than Gudbranson is.

This is gold Jerry, gold!

I think it will allow Hutton to shine offensively, he will be counted on to bring the puck up ice, something he does very well and he at least has some creativity that Tanev doesn't have.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
In terms of what makes the most sense, Stecher has to go down and he will benefit from playing under Green for 1 year with top line minutes.

Pedan can be waived, Tryamkin should develop into at the very worst a solid 3rd pairing defenceman that gives provides size and steady D.

Larsen provides offence, has years of experience, and didn't sign with the Canucks to be sent down.

final D roster should be

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin-Biega

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In terms of what makes the most sense, Stecher has to go down and he will benefit from playing under Green for 1 year with top line minutes.

Pedan can be waived, Tryamkin should develop into at the very worst a solid 3rd pairing defenceman that gives provides size and steady D.

Larsen provides offence, has years of experience, and didn't sign with the Canucks to be sent down.

final D roster should be

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin-Biega

Why does sending Stecher down make sense? He could benefit from playing 18 minutes per night in Vancouver, while receiving PP time (possibly even being the PP1 QB).

I don't care what Larsen signed here for. He isn't very good. Stecher has outplayed him.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Why does sending Stecher down make sense? He could benefit from playing 18 minutes per night in Vancouver, while receiving PP time (possibly even being the PP1 QB).

I don't care what Larsen signed here for. He isn't very good. Stecher has outplayed him.

I'm starting to figure this out, you convince yourself that something is true then it becomes fact in your mind and you cannot be swayed. You say this about this player and have not yet watched him play, basing this off his stat line and what you read on a forum.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

final D roster should be

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin-Biega

I agree with this.

I'll say this. At least we actually have something resembling depth this time. It's not very good, but it's better than the last two years.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Tanev is better than Gudbranson offensivly & defensivly. FFS what the are you arguing about.

Gudbranson has never scored more than 13 pts in NHL, in 5 seasons. Chris Tanev has never scored less than 17 pts in a full season. If anything Tanevs defensive abilty would let Hutton play even more offensivly

I know you like Benning but this is an embarrasing post.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Tanev is better than Gudbranson offensivly & defensivly. FFS what the are you arguing about.

Gudbranson has never scored more than 13 pts in NHL, in 5 seasons. Chris Tanev has never scored less than 17 pts in a full season. If anything Tanevs defensive abilty would let Hutton play even more offensivly

I know you like Benning but this is an embarrasing post.

Obviously Tanev wouldn't 'drag down' Hutton offensively any more than Gudbranson... figure i'd try some hyperbole.
Nor am I a Benning fan.

The WHOLE point.. get Edler into an offensive role... If Stecher is the partner for that, I would like to see it.
I don't care for Tanev's offensive game.. greatly appreciate his defense...
Would be more interested in seeing Edler-Stecher, Edler-Larsen before falling back to the more than capable, safe top pairing of Edler-Tanev.
Think it would benefit the depth of the D greatly if one of those pairings worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad