Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign defenceman Troy Stecher (post #194, #443)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

VANCOUVER - Troy Stecher wouldn't mind coming home.

The defenceman for the University of North Dakota is getting ready for the NCAA Frozen Four tournament this week in Tampa, Fla., but win or lose will soon have to make a big decision.

A junior with the Fighting Hawks, Stecher is on of U.S. college hockey's most sought-after undrafted free agents and could sign with an NHL team once North Dakota's season ends.

He also has the option to return to school for his senior year, but if Stecher decides to ink a professional contract, the native of nearby Richmond, B.C., says the Vancouver Canucks are on his list of potential suitors.

"My dad used to have season tickets to the Canucks with his old company," Stecher said in a phone interview Monday. "When I was a little kid I dreamed about playing for the Canucks."

Stecher, who will turn 22 on Thursday when North Dakota meets the University of Denver Pioneers in one of two national semifinals, has eight goals and 20 assists in 41 games this season.

At five foot 11 and 191 pounds, he was passed over in three straight NHL drafts from 2012 to 2014, but started to turn heads as a sophomore while helping North Dakota to a second straight Frozen Four appearance.

A smooth-skating defender who can jump into the rush, Stecher is finally getting noticed after being overlooked numerous times in his career.

"You're not drafted (to the NHL) so you're pretty disappointed," he said. "Now you're finally starting to get a lot of interest from different teams, so you feel excited.

"It can be distracting, but at the same time I'm trying to live in the moment. We're in a great place right now."

Stecher was a late-round pick of the WHL's Portland Winterhawks in 2009, but chose instead to play three seasons with the Penticton Vees of the second-tier BCHL to get stronger and hone his game before eventually committing to North Dakota.

In his three years with the Fighting Hawks, Stecher has 13 goals and 39 assists in 117 games and was named an assistant captain for the 2015-16 campaign.

The Canucks — who selected Brock Boeser, a winger with North Dakota, 23rd overall at last June's draft — are a club in rebuild mode that is thin on defence prospects.

But Stecher said that, while tempting, the chance to play in front of family and friends in Vancouver won't impact his decision.

"At the end of the day it's a business and you kind of have to look past that factor of it being your hometown," he said. "It's a place I'm interested in and at the end of the season I'm going to have a tough decision whether I want to sign with one of the teams or if I want to come back (to North Dakota)."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...her+dreamed+about+playing/11829269/story.html

Troy Stecher's stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=139295

A couple of good articles on him:
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects/troy-stecher-staying-at-und-is-added-value/
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/nch...oy-stecher-becoming-a-top-free-agent-prospect

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Stetcher is hard to evaluate. How good is he actually? I dont think he could play top 4 minutes as early as next season..

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Take it from somebody who actively watches UND games:

I hope to god we get Stecher he's really damn good.

Basically carried UND in their last 2 games. He's a prospect on the same level as Jordan Subban, but better in the defensive zone.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Not familiar with the College UFAs but sign him if we can. Defense has been our weakness for a few seasons, get depth and find the diamonds in the rough.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He also has the option to return to school for his senior year, but if Stecher decides to ink a professional contract, the native of nearby Richmond, B.C., says the Vancouver Canucks are on his list of potential suitors.

[...]

But Stecher said that, while tempting, the chance to play in front of family and friends in Vancouver won't impact his decision.

"At the end of the day it's a business and you kind of have to look past that factor of it being your hometown," he said. "It's a place I'm interested in and at the end of the season I'm going to have a tough decision whether I want to sign with one of the teams or if I want to come back (to North Dakota)."
So to recap, the Vancouver Canucks are an NHL team, making them a possible destination for Stecher as a hockey player, with no edge on 29 other NHL teams.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Have no faith in the ability of the Canucks to sign top rated NCAA free agents. Believe Smyl was the point man on this and he has mostly miserably failed. Don't trust Benning with anything.

Only reason we got Tanev was due to a close association with then player development guy Gagner.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Stetcher is a big, strong guy, who can skate, and has good offensive instincts when it comes to jumping into the play, also really strong along the boards. I think he'll be a good player, but evaluating older college players gets hard. He needs time in the AHL for sure, but I don't think he is an impact player at the NHL level next season, but I could be wrong. Still think he will be an NHL talent, though. I think he will go to Vancouver, I have friends that go to UND and see him wearing a Bure jersey around to certain parties.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
well Benning will be down there this week. let us see what goodies he comes away with. Could possibly make Utica a lot more fun to watch next year.

BearCheese

Dec 28, 2015
Burnaby
There's no downside to signing him is there? I don't recall us being too close to contract limits with the number of UFAs we have coming up so it's not like we have to choose between people. Might as well try and pick up a free prospect who projects to have a shot at the nhl considering the number of defensive prospects we've thrown away these past two years

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Stetcher is a big, strong guy, who can skate, and has good offensive instincts when it comes to jumping into the play, also really strong along the boards. I think he'll be a good player, but evaluating older college players gets hard. He needs time in the AHL for sure, but I don't think he is an impact player at the NHL level next season, but I could be wrong. Still think he will be an NHL talent, though. I think he will go to Vancouver, I have friends that go to UND and see him wearing a Bure jersey around to certain parties.

Stetcher is 5'11. I would not call him big, especially for a d-man.

That said, he's not soft.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
There's no downside to signing him is there? I don't recall us being too close to contract limits with the number of UFAs we have coming up so it's not like we have to choose between people. Might as well try and pick up a free prospect who projects to have a shot at the nhl considering the number of defensive prospects we've thrown away these past two years

nope we have lots of space. doesn't hurt to add dmen who are RH either.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
So to recap, the Vancouver Canucks are an NHL team, making them a possible destination for Stecher as a hockey player, with no edge on 29 other NHL teams.

It's just lip service, he can't say anything else haha

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Yes please. He has a spot on this team next to Tryamkin. Make it happen.

They both play the right side... so no he won't be beside Tryamkin. However I do like our depth going forward if we sign him and perhaps draft someone like Jakob Chychrun.

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Tryamkin
Hamhuis - Stecher
Chychrun - Larson
*Pedan

I'd likely keep Pedan around and give Chychrun another year or two in the minors.

I'd keep Hamhuis around if this was the route we'd take. His leadership and the amount he could teach a largely very young defensive core would be very valuable for years to come.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
They both play the right side... so no he won't be beside Tryamkin. However I do like our depth going forward if we sign him and perhaps draft someone like Jakob Chychrun.

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Tryamkin
Hamhuis - Stecher
Chychrun - Larson

Tryamkin can play either side.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Tryamkin can play either side.

That remains to be seen. Thus far, he's played on the right side about 95% of the time he's been here.

For the 4 years he played in the KHL, he played the vast majority of his time on the right side.

When he was playing in Jrs in Russia, he also played on the right side.

The fact that he's physically able to actually be on the left side doesn't mean he's good at it or comfortable there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad