Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Dane Fox of the Erie Otters (MOD WARNING POST #53)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
The Dirty Fox

scores, assists, fights and gets under the opponent skin

Thank you Mike Gillis !!!!!

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I have a sneaking suspicion that since the Canucks signed Fox, Bettman has been working behind the scenes to have the OHL suspend him because he "MUST be up to something."

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
I recall Hansen playing LW on a line for a little bit with Wellwood and Bernier back in 2008-09. Though as you said, with Fox's skillset he seems to project more as a winger than center at the pro level.

Hansen's also played his fair share of LW back in Denmark with the Rødovre Mighty Bulls (and also during his year with the Portland Winterhawks). I can also recall him lining up on the left side with Denmark's national team (and some Danish websites still list him as a LW).

So he's well capable of playing either wing.

I think a big reason why he's played mostly RW with the Canucks is this team's strong preference to play wingers on their natural shooting sides whenever it's possible (and the overall shortage of RH shots that's been a factor over several seasons, most notably in their PP schemes).

That said, Jensen is also very capable of playing either side (and he shoots LH).

As to Fox, I agree that his skillset suggests that he'll probably be used as a winger as a professional. However, I have somewhat reconsidered that position after seeing Fox display a more complete game than I'd earlier thought (as evidenced by some of his game usage over the past several weeks).

I still think he'll probably end up playing mostly wing (to most effectively take advantage of his shot) but he could possibly become an effective C/W hybrid in the NHL.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Not even a 3 PPG pace... bust.

I think with Dane because he went undrafted and we get him for free us Canuck fans have fairly low expectations of Dane, I am hoping he can surprise the lot of us in training camp next fall

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think with Dane because he went undrafted and we get him for free us Canuck fans have fairly low expectations of Dane, I am hoping he can surprise the lot of us in training camp next fall

I agree. If he were drafted in the 1st round, we'd be saying he has 1st line potential. But because he's an undrafted free agent, he's likely a 3rd liner.

I haven't seen enough of him to know where he'll fall. It's funny tho.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think the NHL is all that different than the NBA, in principle: you win in one of two ways:

i) you have excellent front line players (by front line I mean elite, of course). Two can do it, but three would be ideal. Then you get a reasonable supporting cast. Think Pittsburgh, a reasonable bet to be a candidate for the Cup every year, while they have Crosby and Malkin. Anaheim too, similar deal. Chicago: Kane, Toews, and Keith, with Sharp a VERY useful top second tier player.

ii) you have a strong / deep top 6, or even top 9. Think Boston Bruins, over the last few years.

I suspect that ii) is the kind of team that is easier to build.

I don't think Dane Fox is going to be elite. Over agers flatter to deceive, more often than not.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
i dont think this is true

It's at least disingenuous to say he doesn't have second line potential. It's clear that he's likely a third liner if he makes the NHL, having puck skills and playing the right type of game, but he REALLY has some puck skills, a killer shot, and thinks the game well. He has top 6 forward potential for sure.

He was supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder before he ran into some off-ice issues, and those were enough to scare teams away. Assuming those are past him, he's a free 2nd-3rd rounder that's progressed well in the interim time.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
It's at least disingenuous to say he doesn't have second line potential. It's clear that he's likely a third liner if he makes the NHL, having puck skills and playing the right type of game, but he REALLY has some puck skills, a killer shot, and thinks the game well. He has top 6 forward potential for sure.

He was supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder before he ran into some off-ice issues, and those were enough to scare teams away. Assuming those are past him, he's a free 2nd-3rd rounder that's progressed well in the interim time.

To compare, I think Cole Cassels will be dominating junior next year, like Fox has at a year older.

EDIT - I think Fox will be a great Sedin line mate. /EDIT

Two very good 3rd round picks?

In the next few years, this is what our youth movement looks like:

Jensen
Kassian
Horvat
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Cassels
Fox

Corrado
Hutton
Subban

Lack
Markstrom
Eriksson

And we have this year's draft, and potential returns of our tradable assets.

Add that to our veteran core, and I'm pretty satisfied with this team's direction, personally.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
To compare, I think Cole Cassels will be dominating junior next year, like Fox has at a year older.

I think the historic number show that no, Cassels will not dominate to that degree (though he would be dominant). Fox had something like 37% more goals than the second place goal scorer.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
I'm a little puzzled at how most on this board are rating Dane Fox into the future. I get it that he is a 20year old but look at his numbers and his overall game. He is scoring goals at a crazy pace. He puts up as many assists. He is a nasty, chippy guy to play against and is a willing fighter. I haven't heard he has skating issues. So other than being a twenty year old, Dane Fox would seem to have elite skills.
Could he be the pure shooter the Sedins need ? He seems to have top six potential and yet most on this board don't seem to think so.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm a little puzzled at how most on this board are rating Dane Fox into the future. I get it that he is a 20year old but look at his numbers and his overall game. He is scoring goals at a crazy pace. He puts up as many assists. He is a nasty, chippy guy to play against and is a willing fighter. I haven't heard he has skating issues. So other than being a twenty year old, Dane Fox would seem to have elite skills.
Could he be the pure shooter the Sedins need ? He seems to have top six potential and yet most on this board don't seem to think so.

I think most of us are just trying to temper our hopes and expectations while secretly assuming he'll be the next coming of Bobby Hull. :sarcasm:

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

For me its cautious optimism. It hard to gauge just how much of his success is from being an overager. Tempered expectations for a solid third liner and anything beyond will just be gravy. Hearing that he plays well away from the puck what makes me think that he will be a player.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
If anything Dane Fox could be a tougher Alex Burrows?

Just found this LOL

Yep look at that celebration its Burrows jr.

This guy gets open and has a sick one timer.

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
He's sure giving reasons for optimism. That's all you can really ask out of your undrafted prospects. Here's hoping he just hit puberty or something

Patchey*

He's sure giving reasons for optimism. That's all you can really ask out of your undrafted prospects. Here's hoping he just hit puberty or something

He was supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder but he had so called off ice issues that led him into being undrafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad