Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Travis Hamonic to 1-Year, $1.25M Deal with NMC

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Honestly, ..Tanev is a far superior player than Hamonic (but should Hamonic be making less than half of what Tanev does..?..I dont think so)..I like what Hamonic brings to the team, a bit of competitive edge, and feistiness...Could use more players like him.

far superior? I’m don’t see that all.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hamonic was great and we really do need a RHD like him. The issue is price. Benning should be trying to get an additional forward as well and given his track record of overpayment, it's hard to imagine Hamonic signing a small enough deal or us not overpaying a 30 year old 3rd liner such that we cant sign Hamonic. I'm pessimistic about our ability to keep him and fill out the lineup with the remaining money but if we could I'd love to see him come back.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The issue with Hamonic is that Flames fans were at the point they considered him a depth defenseman. If we go and pay him like a top4 or even more than a depth defenseman we'll end up down that same path again where a player who was once a solid top4 guy is now a depth player or 3rd pair guy and were paying him too much by yr 2 of this deal or sooner in a 82game season.

I'm not opposed to keeping Travis in fact i want him back but anything above 2 million is not gonna sit well and prevents us from improving the team where we need it most. Agree 1.25 is a pipe dream. Were not getting that cheap of a deal. The Jets could easily out bid us on that kind of offering. Hope they find middle ground and get it worked out so were not dragging this saga into free agency.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The issue with Hamonic is that Flames fans were at the point they considered him a depth defenseman. If we go and pay him like a top4 or even more than a depth defenseman we'll end up down that same path again where a player who was once a solid top4 guy is now a depth player or 3rd pair guy and were paying him too much by yr 2 of this deal or sooner in a 82game season.

I'm not opposed to keeping Travis in fact i want him back but anything above 2 million is not gonna sit well and prevents us from improving the team where we need it most. Agree 1.25 is a pipe dream. Were not getting that cheap of a deal. The Jets could easily out bid us on that kind of offering. Hope they find middle ground and get it worked out so were not dragging this saga into free agency.
2 x 1.75 as a 3rd pairing guy would be fine. I think he'd be a good partner for Rathbone and I like what he brings to the table. Plus he is better than Benn

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
2 x 1.75 as a 3rd pairing guy would be fine. I think he'd be a good partner for Rathbone and I like what he brings to the table. Plus he is better than Benn
Id be ok with this as a ceiling price, thats a lil high for a third pairing guy but my expectations are so low with Benning lol. A small loss is seen as a minor victory with this bozo :laugh:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He hard a tough start to the season but he definitely started figuring things out as the season went on. He is definitely no Tanev though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He is attacking PoM based on PoMs previous posts instead of addressing the point PoM is making.

I believe this is called an ad hominem. @I am toxic Did I get that right?

i think it was more an attempt at ironic juxtaposition, which is a valid form of argument under the rules here and worth doing if you can capture the elusive and subtle chimera that is irony. m2b went in a bit heavy.

you will need to study up on your literary devices if you want to pose as a rational actor here. nobody is going to believe a benning defender got to 7000 posts here without refining a razor sharp grasp of what ad hominem means.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He's not posing as a rational actor, he's posing as an transparently disingenuous actor.

Which is completely understandable considering how disingenuous this team has been to everyone since day 1 of Benning's reign as BEST GM IN CANUCKS HISTORY.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's not posing as a rational actor, he's posing as an transparently disingenuous actor.

Which is completely understandable considering how disingenuous this team has been to everyone since day 1 of Benning's reign as BEST GM IN CANUCKS HISTORY.

Why would you say that?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
far superior? I’m don’t see that all.

I too think Tanev is far superior. Certainly the bounce back version we saw last season and this season with Calgary is far superior.

The problem with Tanev here was that he couldn't stay healthy and had shows signs of decline. But how much of that decline was due to Green's system, his D partners, and his own decline?

I don't think Green's system is good.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think they should plan for Rathbone to play in the top 4 next season. If he comes in and steals the spot good, but to bank on him out the gate after 8 games, albeit while looking good, is foolish.

I agree but what are the options? The cheapest is to bring Edler back on a one year contract. Any decent replacement will likely require some term which is ok if you sign a defensive type to a value contract who you don't mind slotting in as your #5 later.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i think it was more an attempt at ironic juxtaposition, which is a valid form of argument under the rules here and worth doing if you can capture the elusive and subtle chimera that is irony. m2b went in a bit heavy.

you will need to study up on your literary devices if you want to pose as a rational actor here. nobody is going to believe a benning defender got to 7000 posts here without refining a razor sharp grasp of what ad hominem means.

There was no "cheerleading a gm" in PoMs post. It was based on his previous posts. The way I understood it was to discredit the argument. I could be wrong.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
2x2? Done. I wouldn't mind a limited NTC or NMC either. He's not amazing but he's worth that and might be the only defenseman willing to crosscheck someone in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad