Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Travis Hamonic to 1-Year, $1.25M Deal with NMC

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Will hopefully be a Hoffman deal where he signs when training camp official opens and Ferland goes on LTIR
Travis Green and Bim Jenning to talk to media tomorrow

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Excellent news so long as there isn’t any absurd term attached to the eventual signing.

Very low risk and high reward. Struggled with the Flames, but who knows... a change of scenery might reignite him and if we see even a shade of his past Islander self it’ll be a terrific signing.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Much as I wanted Vatanen, this does make more sense given who we've already got on the back end. Maybe I can dream that they'll get both somehow.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Finally some (possible) insurance for the defense. Have to feel a lot better about it now going into the season.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Happy to hear this.

We really needed a last minute and PK guy to replace Tanev. Hamonic has slowed but will fill a gaping hole and when playing well can elevate to a shut down role with some heaviness.

Quality person also.....Welcome to Vancouver Travis
Upgrade over Benn. Solid risk free addition.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wonder if Hamonic for Stecher is a saw off? Stecher seemed to be trending up and Hamonic down but injuries a big factor here. A healthy Hamonic might well be on a par with Stecher. Lose a little offensively but likely Hamonic is better in his own end.

Worry, again, is about getting damaged goods. Been there too many times before with Benning.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wonder if Hamonic for Stecher is saw off? Stecher seemed to be trending up and Hamonic down but injuries a big factor here. A healthy Hamonic might well be on a par with Stecher. Lose a little offensively but likely Hamonic is better in his own end.

Worry, again, is about getting damaged goods. Been there too many times before with Benning.

Hoping Hamonic can rebound a bit, but last season his reputation for defensive ability seemed pretty unearned.

Stetcher's card for reference, where he did a fantastic job eating up his minutes.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I do think Hamonic has more name value than on ice ability which is par for the course for this management team. However if it’s on a one year contract preferable to have Hamonic over what we currently have (some combo of Juolevi, Benn and Rathbone)

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Knew this would happen and was dreading it. I think he is a great person with a hell of a heart but Im guessing itll be a bad fit. Needed someone for depth I guess and as long as its a 1 year deal only itll be fine

Reactions: mossey3535

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a coup for the Canucks if it comes to fruition. Hamonic is exactly the sort of defenceman this group was missing. A steady Top-4 RH shot "stay-at-home" presence with some size and a bit of physicality, to complement Hughes. Excellent opportunity to someone like Hamonic to capitalize on some collateral points like Tanev did playing with Hughes last year too, while he just does what he does. So it works both ways. Plus a "Western Canada" destination that has a more credible track record than most of the Prairies on Covid responsibility.

I really genuinely thought that after opting out of the "bubble", Hamonic was gonna sit this season out. But i'm so happy to be wrong, if this pans out.

Have to imagine it's really just a matter of moving cap around and getting things situated before an actual contract is signed. Ferland to LTIR, some other cap albatross guys like Louie and Sven to the minors to shave a bit, and whatever other little maneuvers are necessary to clear the space for a 1-year deal for Hamonic at a "picked his spot" discount.

But someone like Hamonic is precisely what the Canucks D Corps was missing.

Edler-Schmidt
Hughes-Hamonic
Benn-Myers

That's actually legitimately a better defence corps than last year...if this Hamonic thing comes to pass. Pretty excited actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad