Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Sawyer Mynio to ELC

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don’t think management should make decisions bases on whether Mynio gets hit by the same car that hit Yann Sauve.

Anyways, my point is that I am going to assume that management likes Mynio and given the way he plays and the way he projects there isn’t going to be much that changes management’s mind over the next year or two. They could have certainly waited to sign him and that’s the same whether he is a 1st round pick or 3rd round pick.

I am not sure if Brew’s offensive game is more “developed” than Mynio’s defensive game but again they are different defensemen. If Brew struggles defensively at the AHL level it wouldn’t matter if is advanced offensively. Whereas a defensive Dman who can process the game quick enough and make a good first pass can get away with offering little offensively.

I don’t agree. I don’t see how Mynio developmentally behind. I see him as being advanced offensively.

So I do see it as whether you like the player since he seems to be a polarizing pick among fans here.

I think you're just kind of latching onto this idea that Mynio is much closer to "developed" than he realistically is (or at least, hopefully is).

Even guys who are tracking as "no offense, conservative stay-at-home" AHL defencemen, tend to track as more productive than Mynio has shown thus far. Much less guys who are tracking as NHL depth guys. Fundamentally, guys who have the smarts, vision, puck-moving ability to play even a steady stay-at-home no offense role at the NHL level, tend to stand out and pick up significant point totals at the CHL level. Just by virtue of having the skill and vision to move the puck at a level that stands above the typical Juniors player.

Like Ashton Sautner was a "no offense" AHL fringe defenceman, but even a guy like that was posting easy 50pt seasons by the time he was finished with Juniors. Mynio has a ways to go still, to enter even that sort of territory. You hope he does get there, or even exceed that. But he currently hasn't established that he's got anything like an "advanced game offensively" at that level.

I do like his chances of getting there. He has some projectable traits that could take off and get him there with more strength/speed/assertiveness and the bigger role he's slated to take on in the coming years. But it's just that. Projection. He hasn't actually done it...yet. So having that kind of certainty about him, is really just about you really liking the pick/player and imparting a bias, rather than gauging concretely on what he's actually put down on the ice thus far, relative to the way typical player development trends usually look.

It's not like, "booo i don't like the pick and he'll never amount to anything". It's just..."why couldn't they wait to watch him flourish next year and then sign him when he's really established his trajectory on that sharp upward trend you want to see"? What's the rush?

Reactions: msew27

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think you're just kind of latching onto this idea that Mynio is much closer to "developed" than he realistically is (or at least, hopefully is).
Not really but it does go to my point. There is clearly a divide in how posters here view Mynio. I assume my view matches that of management otherwise he wouldn’t have been drafted where he was and now signed to an ELC. I don’t think Mynio is a project. I think he is advanced defensively and needs to continue developing. It’s not much different from Woo or Gadjovich where they needed to continue to improve to get to the NHL. But they weren’t projects that needed to take huge steps forward in their development.

Even guys who are tracking as "no offense, conservative stay-at-home" AHL defencemen, tend to track as more productive than Mynio has shown thus far. Much less guys who are tracking as NHL depth guys. Fundamentally, guys who have the smarts, vision, puck-moving ability to play even a steady stay-at-home no offense role at the NHL level, tend to stand out and pick up significant point totals at the CHL level. Just by virtue of having the skill and vision to move the puck at a level that stands above the typical Juniors player.
I don’t think there is anything unusual. Mynio is expected to produce a lot more offensively in the WHL this season. Woo fell in the draft due to his questionable offensive upside and he didn’t have a strong draft eligible year offensively either. Woo produced offensively in his draft + 1 year but is otherwise not likely to offer much offensive at the pro level.

Like Ashton Sautner was a "no offense" AHL fringe defenceman, but even a guy like that was posting easy 50pt seasons by the time he was finished with Juniors. Mynio has a ways to go still, to enter even that sort of territory. You hope he does get there, or even exceed that. But he currently hasn't established that he's got anything like an "advanced game offensively" at that level.
But if Sautner was drafted where Mynio was Sautner would have actually showed good progress. Saunter didn’t make it as an NHL Dman but if he was drafted in the late 3rd round how many of us would take issue with the way Sautner developed?

I do like his chances of getting there. He has some projectable traits that could take off and get him there with more strength/speed/assertiveness and the bigger role he's slated to take on in the coming years. But it's just that. Projection. He hasn't actually done it...yet. So having that kind of certainty about him, is really just about you really liking the pick/player and imparting a bias, rather than gauging concretely on what he's actually put down on the ice thus far, relative to the way typical player development trends usually look.
I don’t quite understand what you are getting at here. Teams draft players based on projections. What they have done doesn’t mean much in the context of drafting the best player available.
It's not like, "booo i don't like the pick and he'll never amount to anything". It's just..."why couldn't they wait to watch him flourish next year and then sign him when he's really established his trajectory on that sharp upward trend you want to see"? What's the rush?

I can’t answer that as I was not part of the discussions. prospects do get drafted and signed immediately (regardless of where they are drafted). My point is that if they really like the player it probably doesn’t make much difference signing him now vs later. I don’t disagree that they could have waited as there is no rush.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not really but it does go to my point. There is clearly a divide in how posters here view Mynio. I assume my view matches that of management otherwise he wouldn’t have been drafted where he was and now signed to an ELC. I don’t think Mynio is a project. I think he is advanced defensively and needs to continue developing. It’s not much different from Woo or Gadjovich where they needed to continue to improve to get to the NHL. But they weren’t projects that needed to take huge steps forward in their development.

I don’t think there is anything unusual. Mynio is expected to produce a lot more offensively in the WHL this season. Woo fell in the draft due to his questionable offensive upside and he didn’t have a strong draft eligible year offensively either. Woo produced offensively in his draft + 1 year but is otherwise not likely to offer much offensive at the pro level.

But if Sautner was drafted where Mynio was Sautner would have actually showed good progress. Saunter didn’t make it as an NHL Dman but if he was drafted in the late 3rd round how many of us would take issue with the way Sautner developed?

I don’t quite understand what you are getting at here. Teams draft players based on projections. What they have done doesn’t mean much in the context of drafting the best player available.

I can’t answer that as I was not part of the discussions. prospects do get drafted and signed immediately (regardless of where they are drafted). My point is that if they really like the player it probably doesn’t make much difference signing him now vs later. I don’t disagree that they could have waited as there is no rush.

I think fundamentally, that's where we don't even really disagree here. I'm not making a commentary directly on Mynio's chances of "making it" as a prospect here. I'm making a comment on the contract signing. Why they wouldn't just wait, and sign him once he has shown that development you're projecting?

There's a big difference in "liking a prospect and drafting them" and just blindly expecting a mid-round guy to develop significantly the way you project. Handing them a contract based on a development curve they have yet to actually demonstrate.

Woo is another good example of a guy who is, and always has projected as a bit of a "no offense defensive defenceman" at the Pro level. But even he had the puck skills to put together some significant points at the CHL level. That's just a pretty natural indicator that a guy is reading the game and has the baseline puck skills to move the puck effectively and potentially contribute at higher levels. Those points almost come "by accident". That's something that Mynio has yet to actually demonstrate. Even if there's plenty of reason to hope and expect that he'll take a big jump in that respect over the next couple years.

The issue with signing him early, is...what if he doesn't take that step? What if he's still a weak, 30pt CHLer who doesn't grab that bigger opportunity by the horns? That would be...bad news, regarding his development track. Whether you liked him on draft day or not, that would not be a positive step in the right direction with his development track. Pragmatically speaking, you might not even want to burn that contract slot on him next year if doesn't make those positive strides in his D+1 year. He's certainly not some finished product who is close to the NHL right now.

I hope that's not the case. I think there's reason for optimism because he does have lots of room to grow, and should have lots of opportunity to demonstrate growth this year. But i just question why the need to rush it and not take that "grace period" to evaluate how he's moving along in his development this year? Unless there's something else behind the scenes playing into that financially for him or something. That's all.

Reactions: MS and Vector

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Maybe they signed him to anger Brzustewicz into reaching his final form.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think fundamentally, that's where we don't even really disagree here. I'm not making a commentary directly on Mynio's chances of "making it" as a prospect here. I'm making a comment on the contract signing. Why they wouldn't just wait, and sign him once he has shown that development you're projecting?

There's a big difference in "liking a prospect and drafting them" and just blindly expecting a mid-round guy to develop significantly the way you project. Handing them a contract based on a development curve they have yet to actually demonstrate.

Woo is another good example of a guy who is, and always has projected as a bit of a "no offense defensive defenceman" at the Pro level. But even he had the puck skills to put together some significant points at the CHL level. That's just a pretty natural indicator that a guy is reading the game and has the baseline puck skills to move the puck effectively and potentially contribute at higher levels. Those points almost come "by accident". That's something that Mynio has yet to actually demonstrate. Even if there's plenty of reason to hope and expect that he'll take a big jump in that respect over the next couple years.

The issue with signing him early, is...what if he doesn't take that step? What if he's still a weak, 30pt CHLer who doesn't grab that bigger opportunity by the horns? That would be...bad news, regarding his development track. Whether you liked him on draft day or not, that would not be a positive step in the right direction with his development track. Pragmatically speaking, you might not even want to burn that contract slot on him next year if doesn't make those positive strides in his D+1 year. He's certainly not some finished product who is close to the NHL right now.

I hope that's not the case. I think there's reason for optimism because he does have lots of room to grow, and should have lots of opportunity to demonstrate growth this year. But i just question why the need to rush it and not take that "grace period" to evaluate how he's moving along in his development this year? Unless there's something else behind the scenes playing into that financially for him or something. That's all.

My rule of thumb would be that you only sign a drafted player at the point where you're convinced that their *current* level of play will track straight into the AHL and that you're getting a safe bet that you won't be wasting a contract slot. For 1st round picks, you can probably sign them right away. Same with some 2nd rounders.

But Mynio is nowhere close to the AHL. He hasn't even played as a top-4 defender in the WHL yet.

In order to justify this contract, Mynio will have to have significantly more development, and there's a fairly substantial chance that development doesn't happen. Same deal as for Ty Young who has been a WHL backup with mediocre numbers.

As for Mynio vs. Brz, I'm not really liking either pick right now. Mynio is a 3rd pairing upside guy and Brz is giving me pretty heavy Adam Clendening vibes.

Reactions: TomWillander1RD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad