Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Sawyer Mynio to ELC

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i guess they see something they like in him. i am not an expert on chl prospects but he seems pretty likely to amount to nothing to me

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird. I think i liked the pick more than most, but this isn't really the sort of prospect you typically lock up early like this. His whole profile as a draft pick was basically..."projection" of him growing into his frame, getting a lot stronger and more explosive, and taking a big step with a significantly increased role. Awfully trigger happy to sign him before any of that has even had a chance to play out...if it ever actually even does.

Reactions: Jay26

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not a name i have heard mentioned a lot in the young stars or at camp. apparently he was passing under radar.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Surprised he got an ELC before Brzustewicz.

Yeah. Brew guy is much more along the lines of a prospect you might square away with a contract earlier like this. He's much closer to "he is what he is" compared to a bigtime "projection" pick like Mynio.

And we're talking about ELCs for mid round picks here. They're not going to break the bank even if you wait until they "break out".

Reactions: Jay26

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah. Brew guy is much more along the lines of a prospect you might square away with a contract earlier like this. He's much closer to "he is what he is" compared to a bigtime "projection" pick like Mynio.

And we're talking about ELCs for mid round picks here. They're not going to break the bank even if you wait until they "break out".
Elc deal is standard so not sure why the need to do this at this point in time. Not like he’s a late birthday. He was born April 2005 so not pro eligible (unless it’s the nhl) until fall 2025.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Interesting. He’s got the frame just needs to fill out but he should be Seattle’s top defenseman this season with Korchinski likely to play in the NHL and the older guys like Hanzel/Prokop aging out now.

Seems like management thinks he has real shot within the next 2-3 years. I believe his contract will slide for another 2 seasons assuming he doesn’t play an NHL game in that timeframe.

I liked this pick. His league leading +50 plus minus as well as being one of Seattle’s best shutdown defenseman during their memorial cup run is quite intriguing. Top 62 skater from his draft.

Scouts rave about his IQ and 5 on 5 play.

Reactions: Bubbles

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Elc deal is standard so not sure why the need to do this at this point in time. Not like he’s a late birthday. He was born April 2005 so not pro eligible (unless it’s the nhl) until fall 2025.

ELCs are "standard" in the sense that they're capped. But there is still a lot of room for tweaking and "customization" including with bonuses. What those amount to and how realistic or easily achievable those thresholds are. But again...we're not likely talking about a guy who is going to command maxed out everything on his ELC, no matter what kind of year he realistically has.

It's also not really a factor with his age, or Pro eligibility. This is going to slide anyway.

The only thing i can think of is, i believe there's some sort of provision for a sort of "stipend" to be paid to Juniors players in some situations? Maybe there's something they know about Mynio's financial situation where they just really want him to be able to focus on hockey and his development as a player, rather than worrying about financial stuff? This whole pick has felt like they've got some deeper personal insight from someone familiar with the kid, to firmly believe he's got this much bigger upside that it looks on the surface. Maybe that's what this is about?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Interesting. Guess the

I don’t necessarily disagree with your points but I also think the points you made could also be used to support signing Mynio first. I wouldn’t call Mynio necessary a long term project but he’s probably going to be like Woo who is going to take some time before he realistically contends for an NHL spot. If you like the guy there’s really no difference between now and later. He is likely what he is in juniors with the possibility of some offensive output. Nothing that should really change your mind about him. Plus, and it could be the key here, most scheduled bonuses are probably out of reach here so the negotiations are relatively easy.

“Brew Guy” is different. He has much higher upside but also higher bust factor IMO. He could blossom quickly and potentially reach his scheduled bonuses so this might be the hiccup here or he might have a dreadful year next season where you are questioning his NHL potential.

In the end the Canucks are probably going to sign both.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It’s an odd trend the last couple of years to sign non-1st/2nd rounders to ELCs very early. Not quite sure what the reasoning is. There’s no advantage to signing him, and Kudryavtsev, so early.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
signing kuryatsev is logical as soon as they see him as contract worthy. it heads off khl interest and keeps him focussed on a north american future. it may also encourage his family to support him playing in na, and give him an excuse not to go home all summer if he feels any pressure to do that.

not sure why mynio would be signed unless they are very excited by his recent play.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Possibly a signing bonus gives them a bit of financial security so they can quit their part time job and afford a higher quality protein shake?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Congrats to Mynio...liked his steady defensive game from what little i've seen so far.

Has a really good 1st pass is reliable and skates well enough for the pro game. They obviously liked what they saw and feel like at minimum he can be an asset for Abbotsford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad