Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign D Mackenze Stewart to ELC (MOD Warning Post #209)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can I stroke another fire?

Subban $755K per
Stewart $925K per

Source:
https://www.hockeyscap.com/teams/canucks
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/28
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

Now... likely due to the fact SUbban is more likely to actually earn that money at the NHL level, whereas Stewart is going require the full 3+ yrs in the A without a sniff of the NHL money... but still made me laugh knowing the tone of this thread..

Have at her...

Hahaha, that's insane. How Stewart doesn't get a Cederholm-type deal is nuts.

Obviously we were playing hardball with Subban. Labate and Sautner get the rookie max in the NHL as well. :laugh:

Poor Subban. The only guy Benning actually tries to negotiate with.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hahaha, that's insane.

Obviously we were playing hardball with Subban. Labate and Sautner get the rookie max in the NHL as well. :laugh:

comes down to the bonus packages...

It's obvious the 'give and take' Benning was talking about was the bonus packages...

Subban likely got close to the max bonus potential... 50% of his base salary...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
So Benning did try to hardball Subban it seems. lol.

It's becoming pretty clear that Benning has absolutely no idea how to evaluate talent.

Sbisa, Dorsett, Stewart, Miller, Vey the only good moves he's got just seemed like he lucked into them. Like Vrbata and Baertschi.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So Benning did try to hardball Subban it seems. lol.

It's becoming pretty clear that Benning has absolutely no idea how to evaluate talent.

Sbisa, Dorsett, Stewart, Miller, Vey the only good moves he's got just seemed like he lucked into them. Like Vrbata and Baertschi.

Give and take...

It seems that Subban was able to negotiate that the 3rd year of the contract is ONE way contract which means he gets the full $755K no matter where he plays... (unconfirmed at this moment)

now THAT would be a good deal for the kid!

so i think your final 2 statements are plain unfair.

May 31, 2006
If that is the case, I obviously retract my previous comments.

I still wouldn't be surprised. Remember when Stefan Schneider got a max ELC too? And Gillis was 1000x better at negotiating contracts than Jimbo, so anything is possible.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If they're fast-tracking him to the AHL (as Benning's quote says), then, yes, this is really bad. Because he's one of Benning's pets, you can bet he'll be given ice time over deserving prospects. This will hurt Utica, and it will hurt the Canucks. Travis Green may be all that stands between reason and nonsense here, and it may not be his call.

Yet another example of this regime being totally uninterested in evidence and actual evaluation. They just like a guy because of his style or past connections, so they boost his status in the organization regardless of how he actually performs (e.g. Sbisa, Dorsett, Vey). This is the precise opposite of the "Moneyball" knowledge of sports that became popular in the early 2000s. It is promoting guys with a square jaw over guys who get results. This is Hugo Chavez-style governance where ideology comes before prosperity.

It's similar to college professors who haven't kept up with the latest scientific studies and breakthroughs and are teaching completely outdated and dis-proven information to their students.

Then when someone tries to point out how the theories they're preaching have been debunked for quite some time, a random student pipes up about how "you don't know more than the professor" and "he has been teaching for over 30 years, I think he knows what he's doing."

Maybe Jim Benning would've been a good GM in the 80's, when there weren't any complicated statistics available and there was no salary cap to navigate.

But for today's NHL, he is completely out of touch and frankly unqualified as a businessman, executive and talent scout.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I still wouldn't be surprised. Remember when Stefan Schneider got a max ELC too? And Gillis was 1000x better at negotiating contracts than Jimbo, so anything is possible.

That's pretty standard for undrafted UFAs like Schneider though.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
yeah. i wouldn't be surprised if sautner had a max elc but i would be a bit shocked about labate or stewart

oh who am i kidding it wouldnt be surprising in the least

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Its awesome how easy people justify Gillis' awful moves and awful drafting.

No, some people just understand the difference between a UFA and a draft pick. Pretty much any undrafted UFA with more than 1 team interested in him can command a $900K NHL salary with a signing bonus.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
No, some people just understand the difference between a UFA and a draft pick. Pretty much any undrafted UFA with more than 1 team interested in him can command a $900K NHL salary with a signing bonus.

a wasted contract spot is a wasted contract spot, is the point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
a wasted contract spot is a wasted contract spot, is the point.

Gillis takes tons of criticism - justifiably - for his failure to make substantial changes to our scouting until his 5th year as GM. Absolutely, he allowed the influence of Delorme to lead to some terrible signings like Stefan Schneider.

Which is why it's doubly frustrating to see that lump Delorme back in a position to influence horrible signings like this after he had finally been marginalized.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Gillis takes tons of criticism - justifiably - for his failure to make substantial changes to our scouting until his 5th year as GM. Absolutely, he allowed the influence of Delorme to lead to some terrible signings like Stefan Schneider.

Which is why it's doubly frustrating to see that lump Delorme back in a position to influence horrible signings like this after he had finally been marginalized.

Exactly.

Gillis finally learned that Delorme was useless, and Benning has completely ignored all the evidence against Delorme and given him more responsibility than ever before.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although some of his moves leave you scratching your head, you have give props to Benning....The guy seems to be utterly convinced in the upward potential of the guys he drafts or trades for.....Stewart signing indicates he really believes his guy will someday be better than he's looked the past couple of WHL seasons.....same with Sbisa.....and shudder to say it, but Kyle Pettit didn't look all that bad for Erie in the OHL finals, considering how much time he's missed...guess only time will tell whether his drafts or the guys he's acquired like Baertschi, Vey, Clendening and Pedan all pan out.:huh:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Although some of his moves leave you scratching your head, you have give props to Benning....The guy seems to be utterly convinced in the upward potential of the guys he drafts or trades for.....Stewart signing indicates he really believes his guy will someday be better than he's looked the past couple of WHL seasons.....same with Sbisa.....and shudder to say it, but Kyle Pettit didn't look all that bad for Erie in the OHL finals, considering how much time he's missed...guess only time will tell whether his drafts or the guys he's acquired like Baertschi, Vey, Clendening and Pedan all pan out.:huh:

**** it,

lets judge it seconds after it reaches our eyes

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Just watched highlights of Stewart. Doesn't have much talent but he's definitely a very physical player and a great fighter. If he can put something together to become a NHL player imagine him with tough guys like Pedan, Virtanen, Dorsett, Kassian. This would be the toughest, scariest place to go into the league and I'm going off-topic but that is intimidating. Imagine trying to play against a team that has very physical players, you just can't play without thinking twice and overall you just aren't playing your type of game.

I'm all for talent because you can't win with a team full of Stewarts but it's nice to have a few guys in the line-up that play on the line rather than getting our best player punched in the face 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad