Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign D Luke Schenn to 2-Year, 1-Way Deal ($850K AAV)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The more I think about it, he’s getting a major tax increase by playing here so I wouldn’t be surprised if this figure ends up in the 7 figure mark and protection like Hamonic’s deal.

If it’s in that 750k range with no protection, I welcome it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I, for one, would love to have Schenn back. Really liked him during his time here and how he stood up for Quinn and was generally unpleasant to play against.

What would be his role? He will be turning 32 and not fleet of foot to begin with. As long as his contract could be buried I don’t mind him as a depth option.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What would be his role? He will be turning 32 and not fleet of foot to begin with. As long as his contract could be buried I don’t mind him as a depth option.

One key thing is he plays the right side. That’s a pretty glaring need for the team right now.

I think he plays on the third pairing with Rathbone, unless we are able to acquire a superior player - in that case, he’d probably be our No. 7.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
One key thing is he plays the right side. That’s a pretty glaring need for the team right now.

I think he plays on the third pairing with Rathbone, unless we are able to acquire a superior player - in that case, he’d probably be our No. 7.

He'd be a good fit with Rathbone. I like the way you think Canucklehead.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The more I think about it, he’s getting a major tax increase by playing here so I wouldn’t be surprised if this figure ends up in the 7 figure mark and protection like Hamonic’s deal.

If it’s in that 750k range with no protection, I welcome it.
700-800k with a no trade clause would be fine (with the farm in Abbotsford, even if he's assigned to the minors, he wouldn't have to relocate from his family).

Reactions: sting101

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
For once a drop of good news. Really wanted Schenn to stick around last time, but I can understand a player choosing to sign in Tampa over here.

For cheap depth, I'd have him back easily...if only certain other transactions were taken care of first. Yes, even for someone as cheap as (hopefully) Schenn, it matters.

Reactions: bossram

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
2nd year might make him more likely to clear waivers. I mean if he couldn't crack our top 7, probably not too many teams going to look to claim him when he's got some term on his deal.

Reactions: Nazzlind

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If it wasn't a mirage how well he played with Quinn a couple of years ago, this would be a very good move. Adds character, toughness and class to the team. Has gradually evolved into a fairly solid NHLer after hitting a low spot a couple of years ago. Minutes would be reduced b/c if played with Hughes only being out in 5 on 5 situations. Hope this transaction gets made although something got to give with the cap.

Hate the recapture penalty.

Reactions: Hit the post

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He was a regular on Tampa's 3rd pairing so I don't think we'd have to worry about him "cracking our top 7". Barring a big step of course.

Would be a solid addition.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Good teamate - sticks up for his team mates.... that is a skill that the canucks are very short on.

i say sign him for a 1 yr deal. More truculence will be helpful . Protect the kids a bit more.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I really don't think Schenn and Canucks ended on a sour note before either.

Schenn had an option to go to Tampa to chase rings in his prime, and the Canucks could not match that opportunity no matter the $.

Off season home in Kelowna, Canucks AHL team in Abbotsford. Canucks making moves to be taken seriously. I'm sure these are all factors in which Schenn decides to come back.

If he loses his spot on the roster, he doesn't have to move his family. The man has 2 rings, and I think now family considerations have moved up a lot on his priority.

I like this.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I really don't think Schenn and Canucks ended on a sour note before either.

Schenn had an option to go to Tampa to chase rings in his prime, and the Canucks could not match that opportunity no matter the $.

Off season home in Kelowna, Canucks AHL team in Abbotsford. Canucks making moves to be taken seriously. I'm sure these are all factors in which Schenn decides to come back.

If he loses his spot on the roster, he doesn't have to move his family. The man has 2 rings, and I think now family considerations have moved up a lot on his priority.

I like this.

He really enjoyed his short time in Vancouver. So for him coming here close to family has pretty much sealed the deal.

I’ll be happy if he does come, more depth.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This is where I'm at.

No problem bringing him back, but if your expecting to be anything more than bottom pair depth that's not good.

He was bottom pair on cup winning teams, I don't think he will have an issue here.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
2 years seems really weird.

I didn't mind him here but the player has mostly been replacement level his entire career. It'll be hilarious if we're overpaying for rings.
I dunno man, I think I may be laughed out by now from all the funny stuff our team does

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
This is where I'm at.

No problem bringing him back, but if your expecting to be anything more than bottom pair depth that's not good.

Similar to a bullpen in baseball, that is not an unimportant position. You don't want Chatfield in that spot next year. I like that he's experienced a winning environment and can bring that leadership and experience even if he sits out a game or three.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Would think at this point he's at best a #7, probably more likely a veteran in Abby that can be called up.
Still if at a cheap price (in exchange for given a two year deal instead of one year contract) and he's around the same as the last time he wore a Canuck uniform, I'd support this acquisition. At the very least, be useful for our farm club (can call him in in an emergency).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad