Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Christian Wolanin to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($750K AAV)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wolanin might have been one of the best blueliners tonight, but of course since most of the other guys were Abby Canucks, that's not saying much.

He probably still ends up in Abbotsford. But he's dramatically outplayed both Dekeyser and Poolman, who've basically been terrible throughout the pre-season. If there's any justice he'd stick as maybe the 7th d-man. But doubt it will happen.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He impressed me tonight, not in a “he should be on the team” type of way, but he could be serviceable as a call-up when multiple injuries inevitably hit the blueline.

Reactions: mossey3535

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He doesn't stick over Burroughs, but he should be first in line for a callup IMO.

I think he gets 1 more game here

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He doesn't stick over Burroughs, but he should be first in line for a callup IMO.
I think he gets 1 more game here
Wolanin and Burroughs are tied IMO.

Burrs got more snarl. Wolanin’s got more finesse.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Given Dermott's injury I think he has a legitimate shot at making roster out of training camp. If he plays one more game and is solid like last night, they will have a hard time keeping him off the roster.
He has arguably outplayed the rest of the D, albeit with the veterans in preseason, don't care, mode.

Looking back on his pro career, it has actually been quite decent. Strong numbers in the AHL. It's probably just unfortunate for him that he has played so few games in the last 3 years right when he was poised to become a regular NHLer..

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if he doesn't make the roster i think he doesn't clear waivers. lots of teams out there need a cheap 7th dman

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
if he doesn't make the roster i think he doesn't clear waivers. lots of teams out there need a cheap 7th dman
You could be right.......they'd be better off putting Poolman on waivers because with his contract, he'd clear for sure.

At one time Wolanin was considered one of the Sens better blueline prospects, but injuries have derailed his career. This training camp might be the first time in a number of seasons where he's been healthy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been pretty won over, personally. My ideal D is now

Hughes - Schenn
Ekman Larsson - Myers
Wolanin/Dermott - Burroughs

... given what we have. Rathbone has been really borderline.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and Lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he had a great period and a half last night. looked at times like a young oel. he faded as the minutes added up, but was poised and useful most of the time. a little too high event for real hockey but had himself a game.

if dermott is out, i can see him making the team. with limited minutes he could impress and work himself into something.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I've been pretty won over, personally. My ideal D is now

Hughes - Schenn
Ekman Larsson - Myers
Wolanin/Dermott - Burroughs

... given what we have. Rathbone has been really borderline.
As krutov says, its been a small sample size as far as viewing Wolanin..What struck me ,was that Wolanin appears to have good hockey sense on the offensive side of the puck..He was a bit negligent on an Oiler goal against, where he lost position...but overall, he stood out from the rest.

I have to agree with you that Rathbone is still not kicking the door down,..I'm still seeing him struggling.. being out of position, and having difficulty containing players down low.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As krutov says, its been a small sample size as far as viewing Wolanin..What struck me ,was that Wolanin appears to have good hockey sense on the offensive side of the puck..He was a bit negligent on an Oiler goal against, where he lost position...but overall, he stood out from the rest.

I have to agree with you that Rathbone is still not kicking the door down,..I'm still seeing him struggling.. being out of position, and containing players down low.
Even in the games he's played with the veterans, not just this one, I've felt that he was one of the better/more poised defenders, though everyone else really sucked in those.

I was pretty impressed by how he dealt with McDavid at times.

Reactions: Ozone

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And then you have a guy like Cal Foote who is now saddled with a U.S. tax-filing burden for the rest of his life just because the franchise moved before his birth year and he was born in Colorado instead.

Some real Butterfly Effect stuff.

Huh? The guy is free to renounce his US citizenship. But he's living in the states and earning money in the states so there's no disadvantage for him at all.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Huh? The guy is free to renounce his US citizenship. But he's living in the states and earning money in the states so there's no disadvantage for him at all.
Yeah obviously, I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek (because I am saddled with this too), but I'm just pointing to accidents of history, as Adam Foote was a Canadian playing in Quebec not long before.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah obviously, I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek (because I am saddled with this too), but I'm just pointing to accidents of history, as Adam Foote was a Canadian playing in Quebec not long before.

NOW THE REASON YOU CHEER FOR THE MARINERS COMES OUT YOU FILTHY AMERICAN! TRAITOR!

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Actually American; live in Ottawa. You've probably never even been to Vancouver!

:P
Dude, every time I go back there is something different (a SkyTrain to the airport? Rogers Arena is now a condo tower? You can't drive along the waterline in Kits anymore?) and yet I still find it more natural driving in Vancouver than Ottawa, where I have been a licensed adult far longer!

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Dude, every time I go back there is something different (a SkyTrain to the airport? Rogers Arena is now a condo tower? You can't drive along the waterline in Kits anymore?) and yet I still find it more natural driving in Vancouver than Ottawa, where I have been a licensed adult far longer!

This is way too relatable...

Reactions: Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad