Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Christian Wolanin to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($750K AAV)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wolanin was a big prospect for Ottawa coming out of North Dakota (where he was a teammate of Boeser for 2 years). Good size, skilled, excellent skater.

Had a great rookie pro season in 18-19 split between the AHL where he dominated and Ottawa where he was playing 20 minutes/game to close out the year. Looked like a long-term important piece there.

Then he blew out his shoulder in training camp in 2019 and it’s been a mess for him since. Barely played for 2 years. Has been nowhere near the player he was before.

At this point he’s AHL depth. Bowey replacement.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Love it tbh. He's one of the obscure "depth signings" i would've pursued myself.

I still think this guy can be a solid NHL depth Defenceman. He's got plenty of tools. He's big and can skate well. He's even shown brief flashes of putting those things together at times. Not completely lacking a hockey brain. He's not that far removed from Sens fans thinking he might be part of their future team. He's "old" now, but he's had one of those really weird development paths that's full of bumps and redirections. Ill-timed injuries and getting lost in the shuffle of a crowded bottom-of-depth-chart as a result. He's not going to be a Top-4 guy, but as a #6/7 guy, i wouldn't be upset with that.

But at worst, he's a solid AHLer.

Absolutely the sort of guy i'd take a flyer on any day.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Love it tbh. He's one of the obscure "depth signings" i would've pursued myself.

I still think this guy can be a solid NHL depth Defenceman. He's got plenty of tools. He's big and can skate well. He's even shown brief flashes of putting those things together at times. Not completely lacking a hockey brain. He's not that far removed from Sens fans thinking he might be part of their future team. He's "old" now, but he's had one of those really weird development paths that's full of bumps and redirections. Ill-timed injuries and getting lost in the shuffle of a crowded bottom-of-depth-chart as a result. He's not going to be a Top-4 guy, but as a #6/7 guy, i wouldn't be upset with that.

But at worst, he's a solid AHLer.

Absolutely the sort of guy i'd take a flyer on any day.
was hoping to get him last year through waivers when Hunt was struggling.

well said exactly my thoughts

Reactions: biturbo19

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Hopefully Christian doesn't turn the puck over like this

haha first thing that came to my mind too.

the urban legend is after that horrible giveaway (not his first of those playoffs) patrick roy went to crawford and demanded that he never have to play behind wolanin ever again. and he never did.

wolanin never dressed another minute that playoffs and was traded away in the offseason. colorado went 11-2 the rest of the way, and those two losses were to the monster detroit team that won the next two cups.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wolanin was a big prospect for Ottawa coming out of North Dakota (where he was a teammate of Boeser for 2 years). Good size, skilled, excellent skater.

Had a great rookie pro season in 18-19 split between the AHL where he dominated and Ottawa where he was playing 20 minutes/game to close out the year. Looked like a long-term important piece there.

Then he blew out his shoulder in training camp in 2019 and it’s been a mess for him since. Barely played for 2 years. Has been nowhere near the player he was before.

At this point he’s AHL depth. Bowey replacement.
Thanks for the background.....I was always impressed whenever I watched Wolanin in Ottawa. Always wondered why his career hit the skids.

Big guy, who could skate and handle the puck. But injuries appear to have taken their toll. Still, a good depth signing for Abbotsford and could be called up if a rash of injuries were to hit the big club.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I get such a kick out of non-Québécois guys like Wolanin and Paul Stastny who were born in Quebec City because their dads were playing for the Nordiques. In Wolanin’s case, just weeks before the team moved, too. And then you have a guy like Cal Foote who is now saddled with a U.S. tax-filing burden for the rest of his life just because the franchise moved before his birth year and he was born in Colorado instead.

Some real Butterfly Effect stuff.

Reactions: Lindgren

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I actually didn't mind Wolanin when he was a Sen.

He's 27. Maybe he's figuring it out again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad