Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Akito Hirose to 1-Year ELC

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
As I expected, they gave him as much of his salary as possible in a signing bonus, 95k. He basically gets that now and it's not prorated.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
As I expected, they gave him as much of his salary as possible in a signing bonus, 95k. He basically gets that now and it's not prorated.
So he's going thrifting? Or buying a ton of funko pops? Or just paying his tuition, he somehow acquired while presumably having a full ride?

I don't know what college kids would spend money on.

I'd have gotten supremely, dangerously drunk, but I also wasn't a pro athlete when I was that age.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His play style reminds me of QH but skates slower and plays less dynamic. He's actually same age as QH. Will be interesting if he could maintain that play style against tougher competition.

Yeah, the skating really pops but looking like Quinn Hughes as an old NCAA player against younger competition at a low level isn't exactly the same as doing it in the NHL. But I think there's reason to think he skates and transitions the puck well enough to have NHL potential.

Question will be how he holds up defensively, and while it's nice to have a couple nice active sticks and gap controls in a highlight video, it's really hard to figure that out until you see a reasonable sample size of full games.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Akito's brother, Taro, is 3 years older and signed as a NCAA free agent with Detroit. He has played 1 NHL game this season.

Edit: Smaller than his younger brother, he signed 5 years ago and has played NHL games in each of the last 5 seasons. I wonder why Detroit did not have an inside track on Akito and why Vancouver never signed Brandon Tanev.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Akito's brother, Taro, is 3 years older and signed as a NCAA free agent with Detroit. He has played 1 NHL game this season.

Yeah, Taro was the 'Big NCAA UFA' in the spring of 2019 and hit the ground running with 7 points in 10 games to close out that season with Detroit before stumbling the following year and eventually establishing himself as a good AHL player/NHL callup depth.

Reactions: mossey3535

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So he's going thrifting? Or buying a ton of funko pops? Or just paying his tuition, he somehow acquired while presumably having a full ride?

I don't know what college kids would spend money on.

I'd have gotten supremely, dangerously drunk, but I also wasn't a pro athlete when I was that age.
Probably renting an apartment, setting aside a bunch for taxes and budgeting for the offseason.

Reactions: jd22

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

He is listed as 5’10, 162lbs.

Unless you are a skilled player getting offensive zone starts and plenty of space on the powerplay—you probably aren’t big enough to stick in the NHL at that size.

Akito is at least 10lbs heavier and 2 inches taller. Hopefully with some time in Rick Tocchet’s gym he can fill out to the level he needs to be at to be an NHL defender.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Yeah, the skating really pops but looking like Quinn Hughes as an old NCAA player against younger competition at a low level isn't exactly the same as doing it in the NHL. But I think there's reason to think he skates and transitions the puck well enough to have NHL potential.

Question will be how he holds up defensively, and while it's nice to have a couple nice active sticks and gap controls in a highlight video, it's really hard to figure that out until you see a reasonable sample size of full games.
Hoping Quinn Hughes could give him some tips.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He’s wearing #36. I wanted Hog to go back to this number from his rookie season :popcorn:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
17 and 36 being the recent jersey numbers for our blueliners is probably the worst thing about this season

Agreed.

Though Wolanin's 86 is worse and I'm not letting Bear off the hook for 74.

What a numerical mess back there.

Reactions: bh53

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Big fan of this signing

Theres a lot of pressure to be NHL ready now, but its a free lottery ticket and the equivalent of a good pick from 2018-19

Surprised he didnt go with #2

Agreed.

Though Wolanin's 86 is worse and I'm not letting Bear off the hook for 74.

What a numerical mess back there.
They gave Lekkerimaki 4 too! Whats that all about

Reactions: B-rock and m9

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He is listed as 5’10, 162lbs.

Unless you are a skilled player getting offensive zone starts and plenty of space on the powerplay—you probably aren’t big enough to stick in the NHL at that size.

Akito is at least 10lbs heavier and 2 inches taller. Hopefully with some time in Rick Tocchet’s gym he can fill out to the level he needs to be at to be an NHL defender.

How does his game compare to Stecher's? Stecher was heavier and was quite far along in terms of physical development. Stecher was also able to defend with his skating and smarts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
what are you guys, lou lamoriello wannabes? who cares. 88 rules. 74 is unique.

I'm fully on board with ol' Lou.

- goalies may only wear 1, 30, 31, 35
- 2,3,4,5,6 are for defenders.
- forwards may wear numbers between 7 and 29.
- numbers in the 30s (excluding goalie numbers) are for callups.
- numbers should only be retired in extreme circumstances.

High numbers suck. And I'm sticking to this. *Shakes fist at cloud*

Old uniforms and old highlights looked so much cleaner and stylish compared to 74 passing to 86 passing to 40.

Reactions: theKRAKhouse and m9

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
what are you guys, lou lamoriello wannabes? who cares. 88 rules. 74 is unique.
i dont mind high numbers but 86 17 and 36 are forward numbers

74 i dont mind. that would look weird on a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad