Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Akito Hirose to 1-Year ELC

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Nice work again by the FO. Good looking high light package. Be interesting to see how his game transfers to the pros.

Have to think the Canucks will now be the most popular team in Japan as an added bonus.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
very interesting that he got a one year immediately burnt deal. i don't know what that signifies about where we see him next season, but i assume the terms of his real deal are settled and he gets some nhl salary for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Lindgren

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
They should just throw him in vs Calgary (his home town). Maybe run 11-7 for that game.

I didnt realize he’s already 24.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
No one cares if some hockey player in Canada has Japanese ancestry. The league tried that with Paul Kariya and it went absolutely nowhere.

Sure but we also had that guy last year that became the first Japanese player to score in the AHL. Pretty sure there's now Canuck flags everywhere on the streets of Tokyo.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: bh53 and madrigal77

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sure but we also had that guy last year that became the first Japanese player to score in the AHL. Pretty sure there's now Canuck flags everywhere on the streets of Tokyo.
They dont care about hockey. Especially when you have arguably the best athlete on the planet in Ohtani

• Haha
Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!......If those YouTube highlights are any indication, Hirose looks like a 'Quinn Hughes lite'.

You've got to hand it to Allvin and Canucks.....since the start of the season, no team in the league has made more trades and UFA signings.

They're trying to fix the 'talent gap'. But you can't make up for the terrible trades and poor drafting from the previous regime in just a season or two.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Wow!......If those YouTube highlights are any indication, Hirose looks like a 'Quinn Hughes lite'.

You've got to hand it to Allvin and Canucks.....since the start of the season, no team in the league has made more trades and UFA signings.

They're trying to fix the 'talent gap'. But you can't make up for the terrible trades and poor drafting from the previous regime in just a season or two.
They’ve been busy for sure. I do wish they had managed to move Boeser at the deadline, but hopefully that is some work for the off-season. They have certainly added depth though, especially on the back end.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The FO has definitely restocked the defensive cupboards, especially when you consider the improvement from the farm hands. Still have two big albatross and need to improve the middle of the lineup, but top end and depth both look solid. This signing adds to the competition within the depth, and that's great for the organization.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
They must already have an extension worked out (or pretty close). I wonder when they'll announce it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How does a guy who skates like that get undrafted? What the f***?

Skates like makar lmao

Reactions: B-rock

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
His play style reminds me of QH but skates slower and plays less dynamic. He's actually same age as QH. Will be interesting if he could maintain that play style against tougher competition.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
interesting to see how his game translates. He's not young he's the same age as Rathbone, and Rathbone was over ppg like 3 years ago in the NCAA, while Akito was still in the BCHL.

Don't think Akito has as much dynamic offensive tools as Rathbone but he's legit 6'0 instead of being 5'10 like Rathbone, and he actually thinks the game from a defensive angle. He's more poised positionally and better at winning those defensive battles in the Dzone.

I think stylistically, plays like a Hamhuis - decent skater with good hockey sense. To be clear - a poor man version, likely tops out as a 6-7 but who knows I hope he surprises me and becomes a top 4 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad