Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign C Max Sasson to 2-Year ELC

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
max-sasson-2023-7065.jpg

i am going to need the moneyball scouts' take on whether that jawline outweighs the mild ambylopia.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Given Sasson's rep as a high-motor defensive guy I'm curious to see if he'll be a fit as a C for a similar-style player in Bains in Abbotsford to close out the year. John Stevens has been playing the 2C spot for the last several games since returning from injury and has been an absolute black hole.

Reactions: Vector

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
free prospect, but sasson is a middling player at a middling program. i've seen him play a couple of times but don't remember anything good or bad about him
Sounds like he will fit in nicely with the Canucks then eh?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Given Sasson's rep as a high-motor defensive guy I'm curious to see if he'll be a fit as a C for a similar-style player in Bains in Abbotsford to close out the year. John Stevens has been playing the 2C spot for the last several games since returning from injury and has been an absolute black hole.

Given his college career, it seems like they'd be a good fit as well. A few reports that he lacks in offensive ability but since he does all the hard work and gets into position he can get results. That's perfect for a guy like Bains who is also doing all the dirty work but is showing himself to be a skilled playmaker. Could be a fun combo that can, hopefully, develop quick chemistry and climb the ranks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes but free asset you can't lose no risk.
Contract slot matters. Take Molino. In Molino's case, I'm glad that we burned a year off his ELC.

His skating looks pretty quick in the limited highlights I’ve been able to find.

But he also has quite a hunched-over posture and looks much smaller than his listed 6’1.

He's probably between 6'0 to 6'1". He does idolize Zetterberg so that can explain his hunched over style.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems reasonable.

Has shown a nice development curve in 2 NCAA years, plays a high-value position, and is a late 2000 birthday instead of all these 1998 and 1999 guys.

Seems ideal he’s headed to Abbotsford and we can get a good read on what he is pretty quickly.
He would have been 2018 draft eligible. If he was a chler he’d be finishing his ELC this season. Doubt he has enough offence at the nhl level to be a scorer. See if he has an overall game that allows him to stick as a bottom 6 guy.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'll be happy if Sasson turns out to be a decent AHL centre. Not every signing has to be some hidden gem bound for the NHL.

Reactions: MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'll be happy if Sasson turns out to be a decent AHL centre. Not every signing has to be some hidden gem bound for the NHL.
The big NCAA UFA fish is Livingstone, and he's turning 24 in April. Guys born when he was are normally done their NCAA eligibility back in 2021. He started in the NCAA at the age a Senior would have.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was looking into Aatu Raty's season and noticed that Sasson has pretty good numbers for Abbotsford too. Is there something to see in him in terms of NHL potential?

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Was looking into Aatu Raty's season and noticed that Sasson has pretty good numbers for Abbotsford too. Is there something to see in him in terms of NHL potential?
He's a good player in the AHL; the more I see of him, the more I like him. He has NHL wheels. He's 23 so it's questionable in terms of how much improvement is still available, but he's got a chance.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sasson's speed through the neutral zone is becoming a serious offensive weapon for Abbotsford. He's one of the few guy who can back up the d-men and easily gain the blueline.

It's such an advantage to have a center with that kind of speed and vision. We see it all the time against the parent Canucks, where fast centers like McDavid, Barzal, Barkov and even Crosby give the blueline fits.

Not saying Sasson is any comparison to those players, but the Canuck really don't have center like him anywhere in their system right now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Excellent rookie AHL season for Sasson. Looks very much like a player who is projecting as a checking C down the road. Love his wheels and 200ft game has some good transitional skills and can be dangerous off the rush.

20pts in his last 20 games
last 10 = 5g 8a 13pts +12.....kids on a heater

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Excellent rookie AHL season for Sasson. Looks very much like a player who is projecting as a checking C down the road. Love his wheels and 200ft game has some good transitional skills and can be dangerous off the rush.

20pts in his last 20 games
last 10 = 5g 8a 13pts +12.....kids on a heater
Yeah…the biggest reason to have some hope (aside from the wheels) for him as a potential bottom 6 guy is that he’s never lost defensively.

The numbers a guy puts up in junior/college and then the AHL mean absolutely nothing if a coach can not trust the player to not be missing assignments on the defensive side.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
A defensive minded center that is fast is pretty much a lock to be an NHL player.
Wouldn't say that he's a lock to be a regular in the NHL; he'll get a look or two at some point and hopefully he'll be able to run with the opportunity. I think NHL physical battles might be rather challenging for him. But he's clearly improved as the season has progressed and in my opinion has caught up to Bains as a prospect, perhaps even passed him. Pretty good NCAA signing who'll be a viable call-up option at the least.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He has 4th line centre upside. Biggest defining trait is his work ethic. Does everything else pretty well, though. He'll be 24 years old at the start of next season so he pretty much has to make the jump next year.

Watching his interviews, and Raty shares this trait, he's very intelligent. Gives long and interesting answers to questions.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I can see them penciling him in as a replacement for Blueger next season.
No not yet.

They haven’t even trusted him with a call up yet. They like to let their young guys marinate slowly in the AHL.

I think a successful season for him is he’s called up when needed and looks solid enough that they feel comfortable enough allowing him to compete for a bottom 6 full time gig in 2025.

Blueger is a really important player in Tocchet’s system. It’s already been rumored management views him as a priority UFA re-sign this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad