Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign and recall Darren Archibald

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is this a good move? Is Archi NHL material? Is he the answer for Dorsett? I'm going to stay right out of what I've been reading here. I will offer my assessment of the player currently coming in and say that his performance in Utica since the 2014-15 season has earned him this chance before now, particularly last season and this year's preseason in Vancouver.

Archi is a disciplined hockey player, tough forechecker, and can dish out some brutal hits. He keeps a cool head vs agitators, but will step in to keep people off the other 4 guys he's out with at any time. That doesn't mean the gloves come off and he wades into the opponent. AHL players have a deep respect for him and not many actually want to go with him. He is a threat to score goals and most of them come from in front or below the dot off the rush.

He returned 12/29 from a 7 week hiatus after suffering a fractured cheek bone on a hit that crashed him into the boards on 11/8 and required facial reconstructive surgery to repair it. He's played 16 games since his return. This accounts for only 25 GP. The full shield only came off recently. He rightfully had no intention of swapping fists while he was wearing the full shield. His PIM in that time span has been very low and his season total as mentioned is only 15 total. He is very disciplined while being very physical.

In those 16 games he has recorded 6 goals and 5 assists as well a shootout winning goal. He is regularly used on the PK, 1st PP unit with Boucher/Goldobin/Holm/ and whatever center Cull puts out there among Chaput, Cassels, and Darcy. Archi is the guy in the crease. Holm is very appreciative of Archi's screens that have led to many of his 7 PP goals.

The biggest hardship facing Archi is the same problem the rest of the forwards have and that's the lack of a quality center. It has had a direct effect on the goals scored by the Comets. They have scored 129 goals in 47 games which is 2.74 GPG. Considering they have scored 41 of those on the PP that means they have only managed 88 ES goals for the season and a 1.87 GPG. That AHL #5 PP is keeping the Comets in the race. The lack of centers results in all of the forwards scratching for ES goals.

All I can say is Congratulations Archi and hope he makes the best of the situation. He knows Green and more importantly Green knows Archi and the 2 know exactly what Archi is supposed to do. Let's see if the Vancouver faithful are satisfied with what that will be. The last thing Green wants from him is a Sestito clone. Green didn't like him at all, and he was out of here almost as fast as he arrived.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Really happy for Archie. Kind of a straight line player similar to Gaunce from what i remember. Looking forward to him trying to carve out an NHL career after being buried doing great work in Utica for a long time. Will be nice to see us win a few more board battles. We got absolutely worked by Florida.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I am worried that his recent injury might have taken a bit of the fire out of his game but I'm happy for him and for us. His style of play guarantees that he will be cut even more slack by the fans than Virtanen (if that's possible) but I hope that he can have some success here. This may well be his last chance at an NHL career.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I think Green was pushing for this so I'm sure he will get a decent look.

I'm curious to see if they scratch a guy like Eriksson to send a much needed message or if they do the predictable thing and scratch one of the younger forwards.

I hope they scratch Eriksson. That would send an actual message that you have to come to work hard every game or your not getting into the lineup. Erkisson played great a few weeks ago against LA where he was skating well and looked like he was trying. Since then he has been invisible and looked lazy. Replace him with Archibald, someone who is actually works hard and plays with some emotion

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I hope they give him a big boy number rather than the AHL bubble boy number 49 he wore last time.

Maybe Markstrom gives up his #25? :confused:
Need to stop recycling numbers as well. Went from Kesler to Vrbata to Dowd with 17. Garrison to Sbisa to Pouliot with 5. Gudbranson using Bertuzzis number bothers me.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Great news.

Happy to see Archibald get his due.

I’m also glad that the Canucks started him Utica this year to give him more playing time, as opposed to him coming here and getting limited minutes.

Archibald isn’t a young guy anymore, but he’s paid his dues and flat out earned his way on the big club.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I think 28 Belongs with 11

If I was Maki's family I would insist that they give that number to a deserving strapping young lad who would do it justice. As it stands, Mark Messier is the last Canuck to wear the #11. That's a piece of our history I think we all, including Maki's family, could do without.

(sorry for the derailment mods... I could go on about numbers all night...)

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
If I was Maki's family I would insist that they give that number to a deserving strapping young lad who would do it justice. As it stands, Mark Messier is the last Canuck to wear the #11. That's a piece of our history I think we all, including Maki's family, could do without.

(sorry for the derailment mods... I could go on about numbers all night...0
I want goalies to be able to use 0.

Lets go Archi

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
If he can just bring some energy and life, this will be worth it. Hustle, finish checks, all that good stuff that is his bread and butter.

Who's he? I thought we were talking numbers here? :sarcasm:

24 is as close as we can get to 25, and we haven't had a significant one since Cooke.... unless you consider Hordichuk significant.

Much better than 49... we'll see.

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016

(sorry for the derailment mods... I could go on about numbers all night...)
If the number ever gets used again it deserves to go to a burrows type player who fought hard to get to where he is someone you think of when you think Canuck you know?

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Another re-hash. No offence to Archibald because he's proven to be a good foot soldier for this team and its Farm but my god how is it we're stuck relying on this guy seemingly year after year?

If young, tough, big, guys with almost no hands are a dime a dozen in the draft and free agency why can we not get any? Seems ridiculous that this is our best option 3/4 into a season. This GM and President has whined and bitched and fawned over Ferland for like 4 f***ing years yet can't get anything remotely resembling him on this team #masterdrafter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad