Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign and recall Darren Archibald

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If he comes up, gets into some games, and doesn't look out of place... you gotta think that they send Virtanen down. I think the only thing keeping him up is the idea that Green thinks the team is too soft without him.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Justin Bourne wrote this back in September:

With top prospects elsewhere, is the Canucks' farm growing...

"There was a time after my first season as video coach with the Toronto Marlies that a staff member asked a serious question: “Hey Dubas, can you do me just one favor this summer? Sign Darren f***ing Archibald so we don’t have to play him anymore?”

With the Maple Leafs not seeing Archibald in their plans, we were stuck dealing with him again on opening night just months later. The guy killed us every time. At 6-foot-3 and 212 pounds he was a beast on the forecheck who delighted in obliterating defensemen. He had also scored double digit goals in four different AHL seasons, which left me wondering why the Vancouver Canucks never gave him much of a shot given their scarcity of depth.

Last season, he led the Utica Comets in scoring with 23 goals and 47 points (their offence, um, struggled, but those are still nice numbers for a bulldozer not exactly deployed like an offensive juggernaut).
Often, an organization will know a lot more about their guys than even the most ardent viewers. Between scouting and playing them, I probably saw the Canucks' farm team play 40-50 times from 2015-2017, yet I still feel like a guy nowhere near their prospect radar (Archibald is too old for that now anyway) was their most effective player."

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think Green was pushing for this so I'm sure he will get a decent look.

I'm curious to see if they scratch a guy like Eriksson to send a much needed message or if they do the predictable thing and scratch one of the younger forwards.

Lmaooooo how is this even a question for you

Eriksson granlund gagner will never ever be scratched if they are healthy.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If he comes up, gets into some games, and doesn't look out of place... you gotta think that they send Virtanen down. I think the only thing keeping him up is the idea that Green thinks the team is too soft without him.
Virtanen will get more minutes in the final 30 games not less. Archibald will draw in ahead of Dowd now that Gagner is hurt...
#allpartoftheplan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Justin Bourne wrote this back in September:

With top prospects elsewhere, is the Canucks' farm growing...

"There was a time after my first season as video coach with the Toronto Marlies that a staff member asked a serious question: “Hey Dubas, can you do me just one favor this summer? Sign Darren f***ing Archibald so we don’t have to play him anymore?”

With the Maple Leafs not seeing Archibald in their plans, we were stuck dealing with him again on opening night just months later. The guy killed us every time. At 6-foot-3 and 212 pounds he was a beast on the forecheck who delighted in obliterating defensemen. He had also scored double digit goals in four different AHL seasons, which left me wondering why the Vancouver Canucks never gave him much of a shot given their scarcity of depth.

Last season, he led the Utica Comets in scoring with 23 goals and 47 points (their offence, um, struggled, but those are still nice numbers for a bulldozer not exactly deployed like an offensive juggernaut).
Often, an organization will know a lot more about their guys than even the most ardent viewers. Between scouting and playing them, I probably saw the Canucks' farm team play 40-50 times from 2015-2017, yet I still feel like a guy nowhere near their prospect radar (Archibald is too old for that now anyway) was their most effective player."

Yup - this is something that should have happened a year ago.

Archibald didn't look out of place in his 16-game audition back in 2014 back when he was only an AHL 3rd liner. He had a massive breakthrough in the AHL last year and the organization (as usual) was slow to pick up on things and update their evaluations of this player.

Reactions: duplo

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Virtanen will get more minutes in the final 30 games not less. Archibald will draw in ahead of Dowd now that Gagner is hurt...
#allpartoftheplan

Maybe, but can you say that his play of late is worth keeping up in the NHL? He looks lost most nights playing his allotted 10 min a game. Last time we can send him down without waivers too.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Great for archibald but let’s be honest this doesn’t stop benning from doing benning things and trading away a pick for toughness

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Maybe, but can you say that his play of late is worth keeping up in the NHL? He looks lost most nights playing his allotted 10 min a game. Last time we can send him down without waivers too.
Virtanen has the skill and size to be an effective NHLer. His hockey IQ needs to improve and that will increase his consistency. That is the area that the coaches need to work on with him. Then there is the reality that the depth on the team sucks and Virtanen is a better option than almost half the forwards. These are two separate issues.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
For a tough guy, he only had 0 PIM in his 16 games as a Canucks back in 2013-14.

Surprising to say the least...

CRDragon

Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Small sample size, duffferent coaching staff and that was a long time ago.

There’s a reason Utica fans call him the heart and soul of the team.

Define small sample size in this case? If you're supposedly a tough guy, you'd be bound to get some penalty minutes here or there. It's a game by game basis, not something you would say based on some "sample size"

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Define small sample size in this case? If you're supposedly a tough guy, you'd be bound to get some penalty minutes here or there. It's a game by game basis, not something you would say based on some "sample size"
He’s played what? 5 AHL seasons and averaged over a PIM per game. A lot of those with Green as his coach.

Versus his first 16 games 5 years ago in limited minutes in a new league under a new coach.

Which numbers do you put more stock into? He’s not gonna be a Sestito if that’s what you’re hoping for.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He needs to do more face punching if he wants to stay in NHL because his skill is not NHL level.

He still plays a heavy game, for what it's worth, it's just that now he's shown that he has more than a vague idea where the opposing net is. He's been a stalwart of Utica's first line for the last couple of seasons... and not just as a nuclear deterrent.

CRDragon

Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
He’s played what? 5 AHL seasons and averaged over a PIM per game. A lot of those with Green as his coach.

Versus his first 16 games 5 years ago in limited minutes in a new league under a new coach.

Which numbers do you put more stock into? He’s not gonna be a Sestito if that’s what you’re hoping for.

If you want to take the conversation off track than my original comment was meant for then this convo stops here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad