Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign and recall Darren Archibald

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Whew. Glad the extensive search for the organization's number one priority - find a Dorsett replacement - has been resolved. Hopefully they'll realize that they've probably found an upgrade and can now focus on other things, like trading pending free agents. Or finding a new President and GM. Whatever comes up first.
He's not an upgrade on Dorsett but the Canucks don't need one right now. The last thing this club needs is to see Jim trade away another good pick on a toughness plug to play out the last 30 games of dead season. Archibald is quite capable of holding the fort fit a couple of months, then they can re-evaluate.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Small sample size, duffferent coaching staff and that was a long time ago.

There’s a reason Utica fans call him the heart and soul of the team.
He has 57 career fights in 655 games. He's not that great of a fighter, even for a middleweight. Dale Weise?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Echo, your multiple question marks and add a few more.

"...stuck relying on this guy seemingly year after year." HUH???????

Darren Archibald played his last game for the Vancouver Canucks in 2013-14 under then Head Coach John Tortorella and that brought his grand total of NHL games played to 16. What an amazing stint of proven reliance.

Vancouver never "relied" upon Darren Archibald for anything! He hasn't even been Vancouver property since the end of the '14-15 Comets playoff run in which he only played 6 games because he suffered a season ending shoulder injury. Due to the inability to determine if his injury was serious enough to limit his playing ability and the fact that Benning had no future plans for him Vancouver released him.

He rehabbed his injury that off season and due to his relationship with Kalamazoo, where he had played games in 2011-12 and 2012-13, he was able to sign a free agent contract with the Wings.

After 6 games with the Zoo and proving his shoulder was capable of playing hockey, Utica signed him to an AHL SPC.

He signed the same contract a year later with the Comets where he set a single season record for goals scored by a Comet and was the teams leading point getter. Still not worthy of a contract.

This season he was on a 3rd consecutive AHL contract until Jimbo finally ceded and gave him a limited pro rated 2-way that expires at season's end. He will receive a pro rated $200,000 salary upon return to the Comets. I believe wholeheartedly that this promotion was instigated by Travis Green and supported by Trent Cull and, I would hope, was fully supported by GM Ryan Johnson.

I don't think we can find a single AHL team whose top scorer for a season would be described as a plug. I have seen that label attached in a few posts in the 4 short pages of posts related to this signing. He may prove not to be an NHL player, but a plug he is not. Sestito was a plug.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Archibald has always been underwhelming in the NHL. I wish a player like him would come out like Biega and play aggressive, but every time we call up a depth player they skate around aimlessly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Chaput and Megna were worth one-year, one way contracts last spring I can't see any reason not to sign Archibald this year....if they have to send him out to Utica again, he'd easily clear waivers, so little risk.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I could see why his agent is telling him to look elsewhere if he is looking for NHL time next season, but he is one of the few guys who can play his role for the Canucks. He looked good! Like an NHLer!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad