Canucks sellout streak

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
The sell-out streak is nothing more than a marketing invention.

Yep. It's all about perception with the streak.

In any case, a team that sells out consistently and has a waiting list tells me that tickets are actually underpriced if the goal was to maximize revenue. It's theoretically possible for a 3/4 full building to be more profitable than the same building selling out, depending on how elastic demand is.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It's theoretically possible for a 3/4 full building to be more profitable than the same building selling out, depending on how elastic demand is.
You also have the other cases where a team literally gives away tickets to inflate attendance (eg., two for one ticket sales, uber cheap ticket sections, etc.,) like Tampa Bay used to do a number of years back (have no idea if they continue to do this).

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Sell out streak will continue for at least 1/2 the year. Tickets that aren't sold will likely be donated as mentioned to keep the streak (and hype) alive. Then it completely depends on the team. If the team is winning, then games will continue to sell out. If the team is losing, there will be a point where management will stop trying to hype up the team and stop buying/donating tickets.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don't know why people keep saying ticket sales are way down because they aren't. They had a small 5% drop in season ticket renewals but:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+sales+goal/10179086/story.html#ixzz3DPxaDSq6

Demand is down, yes, but in terms of actual sales, the sell-out streak should have no problem carrying through the year.

Our building was getting pretty empty last year, there was a big deal with the team trying to keep fans coming and they've done a lot of sucking back up to the fans, don't believe everything the media tells yeah as I'm sure our owners have a lot of them in their pocket. The fact is at the end of last year Canuck tickets were dropping and were easily available and the building was looking pretty empty, this doesn't add up to a small issue or small drop off, I don't believe there's a waiting list anymore and this time last year there was like a 5 year waiting list, this is a massive blow to the demand.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are rich. They can afford to give away as many tickets as they need to, for as long as it takes to maintain the illusion of giant demand for tickets. They could even keep the sell-out streak going if they wanted to make a point. So, whatever.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It's called supply vs demand... At one point the demand was way way higher than the supply which increased the prices a good bit but now the supply is greater than the demand, this is what determines a price. Try and get a great cell phone plan well asking one of Telus, Rogers or Bell to give you a nice new shiny iPhone 6... Not happening as the demand is way too high that they can cash in on charging its customers $90+ a month, when the supply gets greater this will ease up and lower prices will come up for both contract and the phones subsidy price will drop. Our owners can hold on to asking the moon for Canucks tickets for a team that's not fun to watch or all that great but he won't be selling out the place and could do more harm. See if he lowers the price to the point where he can sell it out and give the average fan a chance to see the Canucks live more often he can strengthen his fan base and his product well the team picks it's self up again.

I understand the basic concept of supply and demand, (That principle is not the only factor in economics however) but all I want to know is an example of a sports team that has decreased its ticket prices because the team has started to suck (or perceived too)

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I understand the basic concept of supply and demand, (That principle is not the only factor in economics however) but all I want to know is an example of a sports team that has decreased its ticket prices because the team has started to suck (or perceived too)

Well, no team would ever come out and say they are lowering prices because of poor play. Supply and demand is the only reason for lowering prices. Buffalo, for instance, finished last place last year, but they did not lower their prices because the demand is still there. Edmonton has missed the playoffs 7 years in a row, yet they continue to raise prices because supply is there.

So basically, no team will ever lower prices simply based on poor play alone.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
What gets me. Is the fact that our Alberta brothern. Both teams have sucked for some time and the worse of the bunch who have higher ticket prices and have sucked for 6 years have also been selling out. The fact we are talking about this after missing only one playoffs is sad

How is it sad that we are not stupidiotic enough to drop thousands of dollars on a product that isn't worth it?

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
You also have the other cases where a team literally gives away tickets to inflate attendance (eg., two for one ticket sales, uber cheap ticket sections, etc.,) like Tampa Bay used to do a number of years back (have no idea if they continue to do this).

And to inflate spending at concessions.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Well, no team would ever come out and say they are lowering prices because of poor play. Supply and demand is the only reason for lowering prices. Buffalo, for instance, finished last place last year, but they did not lower their prices because the demand is still there. Edmonton has missed the playoffs 7 years in a row, yet they continue to raise prices because supply is there.

So basically, no team will ever lower prices simply based on poor play alone.

Supply and demand is not the ONLY thing that dictates ticket prices, people are talking like it is the only market factor in economics... also people expect the Canucks to lower prices because they think the team sucks. But in what sporting franchise in the world has that happened? It would be pretty obvious if it happened since people would be able to see it happening...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad