Canucks sellout streak

kes20

Nov 6, 2006
Vancouver
What game ends the official sellout streak (although unofficially it ended a few years ago).

The Canucks are reporting that approximately 16,500 season ticket packages have been sold which isn't too far off last seasons 17,000 cap. Of course, the entire waitlist is now gone. Those lower bowl tix will be almost impossible for the Canucks to sell at their current single-game prices, especially vs. teams like Nashville and Arizona.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It doesn't matter if there are butts in the seats if the seats are paid for, and with that season ticket base I'd be surprised if we failed to officially sell out in every game this year.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Sellout streak won't end this year. Season ticket holder base is likely going to be the same as last year. (Around 17,000). Pre-season tickets are going to be sold off super cheap by the Canucks and will sellout.

And the first 2 home games by the Canucks are both Saturday games (1 week apart). So the Canucks will easily sell those Saturday games out.

By then, Canucks will be off to a good start (hopefully winning 5 of the first 7) and momentum will build up, tickets will start to sell, etc.

The Canucks organization will buy up excess tickets in advance (if there's too many tickets available) and donate them to charities or youth hockey teams.

So my prediction... streak continues!

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The sell-out streak is nothing more than a marketing invention. The team bought tickets to keep the streak going.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
They could still have a sellout if they adjusted the price for the product on ice, trying to sell tickets at the same price of the good years when it's the bad years isn't a good deal for the fans and why many aren't renewing their season tickets, I sure wouldn't pay those prices to watch what we seen last year and what we have to ice this year.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Brokers said that tickets sales had plummeted...
And he has a lot of tickets left.

Even if the team buys tickets...
I really doubt Francesco Aquilini can afford to keep the sellout streak up...
And it will break at some point this season.
I guess it will be sooner rather than latter.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Brokers said that tickets sales had plummeted...
And he has a lot of tickets left.

Even if the team buys tickets...
I really doubt Francesco Aquilini can afford to keep the sellout streak up...
And it will break at some point this season.
I guess it will be sooner rather than latter.

Of course they "plummeted" these brokers are comparing coming off a Presidents trophy/Stanley cup to a season of not making the playoffs. I'd bet the demand is just as good as it was 3 years before 2011.

Moreover I hate ticket brokers. If they didnt hoard all the tickets we wouldnt see as many empty seats as we do and then people would stop complaining that we dont actually sell out because we have so many empty seats.

Youd probably also see more kids in the stands as people are more comfortable buying the tickets from ticketmaster.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Of course they "plummeted" these brokers are comparing coming off a Presidents trophy/Stanley cup to a season of not making the playoffs. I'd bet the demand is just as good as it was 3 years before 2011.

Moreover I hate ticket brokers. If they didnt hoard all the tickets we wouldnt see as many empty seats as we do and then people would stop complaining that we dont actually sell out because we have so many empty seats.

Youd probably also see more kids in the stands as people are more comfortable buying the tickets from ticketmaster.

I don't think it is... The prices have gone up so much because of all the money the team was making from 2011, prices are hgh for the team their icing. Prices have gone up a lot more than it was before the lockout and mix a declining team and stupid high prices no wonder why there is a big drop off in ticket sales.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Gee what a shock.

I have 4 tickets in the best location in the building. they cost a small fortune; thankfully i have group that buys them. Happy to see Aquawiener getting worried, he has gouged every penny he could out of the fans.

We have had our seats since day 1, we will keep them. But pissed that they are so expensive. Have heard of a lot of people who are dropping their tickets and splitting tickets with others and taking less games. they want a part, but they know that can't sell the games they can't make (or don't want) are now possibly a liability.

hope the canucks turn it around, but aquaman ain't there for fans he's there for the money.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Gee what a shock.

I have 4 tickets in the best location in the building. they cost a small fortune; thankfully i have group that buys them. Happy to see Aquawiener getting worried, he has gouged every penny he could out of the fans.

We have had our seats since day 1, we will keep them. But pissed that they are so expensive. Have heard of a lot of people who are dropping their tickets and splitting tickets with others and taking less games. they want a part, but they know that can't sell the games they can't make (or don't want) are now possibly a liability.

hope the canucks turn it around, but aquaman ain't there for fans he's there for the money.

Aquaman losing lots of money these days. We can speculate that the following things are probably happening/have happened:

- Coach buyouts
- GM buyouts
- Player buyouts
- Massive arena upgrades
- Canadian dollar plunging in value
- Increased marketing costs to sell tickets
- No increase in ticket prices (fans wouldn't allow it)

Amazing how much a financial position can change in just a few years. The Canadian dollar dropping is especially hard hitting, because all the play salaries are in USD and revenues are in CDN. Every Canadian club faces this, but not with all the other compounding issues at the same time.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
They could still have a sellout if they adjusted the price for the product on ice, trying to sell tickets at the same price of the good years when it's the bad years isn't a good deal for the fans and why many aren't renewing their season tickets, I sure wouldn't pay those prices to watch what we seen last year and what we have to ice this year.

Is there an example of this happening, anywhere in sports, with regular season ticket prices rising and falling based on the perceived ability of the team? (on ice product)

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Aquaman losing lots of money these days. We can speculate that the following things are probably happening/have happened:

- Coach buyouts
- GM buyouts
- Player buyouts
- Massive arena upgrades

Amazing how much a financial position can change in just a few years. The Canadian dollar dropping is especially hard hitting, because all the play salaries are in USD and revenues are in CDN. Every Canadian club faces this, but not with all the other compounding issues at the same time.

We don't have access to the Canucks books and we have no idea how their accountants are spinning this. Some of those debts could be written off.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
The sell-out streak is nothing more than a marketing invention. The team bought tickets to keep the streak going.

What gets me. Is the fact that our Alberta brothern. Both teams have sucked for some time and the worse of the bunch who have higher ticket prices and have sucked for 6 years have also been selling out. The fact we are talking about this after missing only one playoffs is sad

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

- Coach buyouts
- GM buyouts
- Player buyouts
- Massive arena upgrades

good analysis. probably pretty close. as posted before, I have casual acquaintance with people on the edge of the inside. their take: Gillis was a great guy, worked hard, liked by almost everyone. Aquaman: slimy, scummy and not a nice guy. Will screw anyone for money or good (or mediocre i suspect) sex.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Is there an example of this happening, anywhere in sports, with regular season ticket prices rising and falling based on the perceived ability of the team? (on ice product)

It's called supply vs demand... At one point the demand was way way higher than the supply which increased the prices a good bit but now the supply is greater than the demand, this is what determines a price. Try and get a great cell phone plan well asking one of Telus, Rogers or Bell to give you a nice new shiny iPhone 6... Not happening as the demand is way too high that they can cash in on charging its customers $90+ a month, when the supply gets greater this will ease up and lower prices will come up for both contract and the phones subsidy price will drop. Our owners can hold on to asking the moon for Canucks tickets for a team that's not fun to watch or all that great but he won't be selling out the place and could do more harm. See if he lowers the price to the point where he can sell it out and give the average fan a chance to see the Canucks live more often he can strengthen his fan base and his product well the team picks it's self up again.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
It's called supply vs demand... At one point the demand was way way higher than the supply which increased the prices a good bit but now the supply is greater than the demand, this is what determines a price. Try and get a great cell phone plan well asking one of Telus, Rogers or Bell to give you a nice new shiny iPhone 6... Not happening as the demand is way too high that they can cash in on charging its customers $90+ a month, when the supply gets greater this will ease up and lower prices will come up for both contract and the phones subsidy price will drop. Our owners can hold on to asking the moon for Canucks tickets for a team that's not fun to watch or all that great but he won't be selling out the place and could do more harm. See if he lowers the price to the point where he can sell it out and give the average fan a chance to see the Canucks live more often he can strengthen his fan base and his product well the team picks it's self up again.

I think demand is still there, but the money isn't. People are broke in Vancouver. Doesn't matter if you *OWN* a house and *OWN* a car... you broke. You don't actually own that house, cause it's got 80% mortgage payments left, and you got a loan on the car to pay, etc, etc. Vancouver is too expensive of a city. No disposable income. IMO that's why people can't afford Canucks tickets.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
demand might not be as great from the rich folk but all the icepacks in he upperbowl minus a few single seats are gone.

Edit: one pair/triple in 305. Go get it!

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think demand is still there, but the money isn't. People are broke in Vancouver. Doesn't matter if you *OWN* a house and *OWN* a car... you broke. You don't actually own that house, cause it's got 80% mortgage payments left, and you got a loan on the car to pay, etc, etc. Vancouver is too expensive of a city. No disposable income. IMO that's why people can't afford Canucks tickets.

You just agreed with me... Prices are too high and they need to lower them to get the demand back.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
No way the Canucks are losing money. They make $25m in local TV alone. Even if they don't sell out all their games, they will be close, and have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. They control their own stadium. I'd bet they make at least $20m in profit this year.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
No way the Canucks are losing money. They make $25m in local TV alone. Even if they don't sell out all their games, they will be close, and have some of the highest ticket prices in the league. They control their own stadium. I'd bet they make at least $20m in profit this year.

Canucks are losing money from the years of 2011, I don't think anyone is saying their losing money to the point it's not profitable, but Canucks are losing money from loss sales due to the price and on ice product.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I agree that the Canucks would probably make more money if they priced their tickets lower this season but let's not make sweeping statements about their finances. We don't have access to their books, and we have no idea how they structure their finances, so therefore we don't know what side of the ledger they are on.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I agree that the Canucks would probably make more money if they priced their tickets lower this season but let's not make sweeping statements about their finances. We don't have access to their books, and we have no idea how they structure their finances, so therefore we don't know what side of the ledger they are on.

Who is saying this? What we know is ticket sales are way down and season ticket holders aren't renewing and that 5 year waiting list seems to have disappeared, the demand has quickly gone down and it seems that the tickets that are selling are the cheaper ones, which says a lot. I don't think anyone has said the team is losing money that its not profitable but their not as profitable as they were in 2011 or those good years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad