Prospect Info: Canucks select F Rodrigo Abols (7th Round, 184th Overall)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Another pick wasted the moment it was used. I was hoping this nonsense would stop once we got a "drafting" GM but it's just the same. We didn't even need to use a pick on this guy I believe. There goes Jim's "we're going to get a NHL player with every pick" strategy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Huh, guys like Quenneville, Ronning, and Soy haven't been placed on waivers 3 months after being drafted. Weird.

Huh. It's almost liked rafting a guy who was a 40-something point CHL player in his 3rd year of draft eligibility was a poor idea. Who'd have thunk?!?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has there been a guy with the name "Rodrigo' ever make it in the NHL?....He's a Latvian...maybe he can go back to Europe and play....and say, whatever happened to that other Latvian signing Ronalds Kenins?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Don't think the KHL is a good option. He wouldn't get any ice time over there.

He should go to the ECHL/ AHL if no CHL team takes him. Or a lower European pro league.

I think the "Grenier Option" might actually be a useful track for Abols. ie. When they shipped Grenier out to the Austrian league for a bit, as one of those older draft picks who didn't get a ton of CHL experience in before hitting that transition point.

Something like that would seem like a potential option for him. Gonna be really tough to find a WHL spot for Abols that's willing to eat up an overage and an import slot at the same time, on a fairly mediocre junior player.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I like this player, but not sure why we used a pick on him.
Every time I've seen him play, I wonder why he doesn't puy up points. He always seems to be involved. He's big and really uses his size well. If he ever puts on the weight he should have at his height, he might have a bit of a breakthrough

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I like this player, but not sure why we used a pick on him.

The Canucks brass liked him when he was invited to prospects camp. It's a way to make sure we have his rights. They drafted a guy they know pretty well and like. He does have some upside and for a 7th round pick, that's pretty much all that is required.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The Canucks brass liked him when he was invited to prospects camp. It's a way to make sure we have his rights. They drafted a guy they know pretty well and like. He does have some upside and for a 7th round pick, that's pretty much all that is required.

There were better prospects on the table, Abols likely wouldn't have been signed by a NHL team. So we could always sign him after the draft.

Losing Abols more important then drafting Ty Ronning? Gaudette/Hutton/Forsling shows the importance of drafting deep in the draft, we shouldn't be throwing away draft picks for players we already know have very little upside. McKenzie/Abols. If anybody should know this it's Benning who himself drafted Miller with a 5th round pick.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
There were better prospects on the table, Abols likely wouldn't have been signed by a NHL team. So we could always sign him after the draft.

Losing Abols more important then drafting Ty Ronning? Gaudette/Hutton/Forsling shows the importance of drafting deep in the draft, we shouldn't be throwing away draft picks for players we already know have very little upside. McKenzie/Abols. If anybody should know this it's Benning who himself drafted Miller with a 5th round pick.

I agree with you on the bolded, we could of had him for free probably. But all in all, from what i've seen from him while playing in the KHL and the International Stage, is that he can hold his own against men, and is a good two way player. Can't put my finger on it why the point production isn't higher, cause hes got a good shot and can see the ice fairly well.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

drafting abols is a compliment that would would encourage him to keep going. would abols have otherwise gone home and retired when portland cut him instead of looking for a gig in the q?

i think maybe benning prefers to take players he knows and believes have nhl potential over drafting those ranked higher by others. it's the same reason he took lockwood early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad