News Article: Canucks Second Line Worries

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think Kassian is going to take a huge step next season. He's in the gym 5 days a week and looks to be in great shape. He's focused on getting stronger and faster. I see the second line being Vey - Bonino - Kassian.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I think Kassian is going to take a huge step next season. He's in the gym 5 days a week and looks to be in great shape. He's focused on getting stronger and faster. I see the second line being Vey - Bonino - Kassian.

So Matthias or Richardson centers the third line and Burr or Hansen (not Higgy) are relegated to the 4th? I don't really buy it, but we'll see.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
To me, an article by some supposedly aware blogger that fails to mention Kassian, while chewing over Higgins and Burrows on the second line, is basically out to lunch. Forgot he was on the team? See ya pal.

Not that Kassian is necessarily a lock for second line RW, but he's without question a very likely candidate. The article had to include his name in order to be credible. He wouldn't be conflicting with Burrows' "natural position" because Burrows shoots left and began his career on that side.

Between Kassian, Burrows, Higgins, Vey, Matthias, and even Shinkaruk, Gaunce, or Fox, there may well in the end be a decent, if not flashy, pair of wingers to flank Bonino.

Alot of people seem to forget Mr. Higgins these days. Who can be counted on for at least 16 goals this season. I think a second line of Burrows, Bonino, Higgins is a good second line. Burrows and Higgins can play a good mix of physical and skill. Our second line is in better shape than people give it credit for. Also remember that if someone falters, Kassian can be brought up and cause mayhem in second line minutes.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
So Matthias or Richardson centers the third line and Burr or Hansen (not Higgy) are relegated to the 4th? I don't really buy it, but we'll see.

If we're serious about rolling 4 lines it would be great to have those guys in the bottom 6.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Kassian
Higgins Richardson Burrows
Dorsett Matthias Hansen
Sestito

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The 2nd line can't be any worse than last year. And with 'I forgot how to pass' Kesler gone, maybe some chemistry will develop.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
To me, an article by some supposedly aware blogger that fails to mention Kassian, while chewing over Higgins and Burrows on the second line, is basically out to lunch. Forgot he was on the team? See ya pal.

Not that Kassian is necessarily a lock for second line RW, but he's without question a very likely candidate. The article had to include his name in order to be credible. He wouldn't be conflicting with Burrows' "natural position" because Burrows shoots left and began his career on that side.

Between Kassian, Burrows, Higgins, Vey, Matthias, and even Shinkaruk, Gaunce, or Fox, there may well in the end be a decent, if not flashy, pair of wingers to flank Bonino.

Sure Kassian is an option on the 2nd line but wouldn't it be a better long term strategy to "showcase" burrows and then try to trade him for something at the trade deadline?

Also Burrows is a 4.5 cap hit to Zack at 1.75, it might not be fair but the Canucks are going to need to try burrows in the top 6.

the article laid it out pretty well, our 2nd line is a huge question mark going into enxt season as is our 1st line.

the 3rd and 4th lines should be good, probably better than average but how much value is there in that when our top 6 is arguably in the bottom 1/3 of the league and closer to 30 than 21?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
No way Burrows is going to start out on the second line. He's gotta earn that spot again. Vrbata needs to be the second line stud that the Canucks build around.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I predict that the 2nd line will be much better because on offence, getting rid of Kesler is addition by subtraction. Vrbata generated more offense (51 points) and has nearly matched Kesler's assist production every year ... as a winger.

Bonino playing with superior players means he is probably a lot more used to playmaking and helping out his linemates than Kesler has been for four years.

No way Burrows doesn't bounce back this year. So that gives us two great wingers to split time between the 2nd and 1st. And assume Kassian will make the 2nd line.

Our real problems are if this coach somehow decides Hansen should be let anywhere near the Top-6.

But yeah the 3rd line is the real issue, but I hope it will be a relatively youth laden line with Vey and a prospect.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Read the first half of the first paragraph, searched for the word 'Kassian' in the article and nothing popped up so I stopped.

Kassian on the RW, finally gets his shot to consistently perform in the top 6 with Burrows probably playing LW, where he played before he was put on a line with the Sedins. You could slot in Higgins there or even Vey depending on who's on a hot streak.

Second line worries... lol, seems pretty simple to me. I know it's not the best but what did you expect for a retooling team?

Next!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
No way Burrows is going to start out on the second line. He's gotta earn that spot again. Vrbata needs to be the second line stud that the Canucks build around.

He's done so much for this team for cheap, I don't see why you don't give him a little respect and start him in the top 6. It is possible to demote people to lower lines ...

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

I would completely agree with you expect I think the OP solved the major issue of who can take our hard minutes away.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata <- the usual easy O starts
Horvat/xxxx - Vey - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows <- 3rd line but will play more ES minutes than the 2nd

The Ducks had the same set-up with Getz-Perry being eased into their role with Pahlsson eating up major matchups.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You forgot about the owners are jerks, Rogers is a crappy place, tix are too much, it's too damn hot today, Miller lost in 2010 and Sbisa is a cap dump.

While you raise a series of valid points they aren't affecting the second line.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
If we're serious about rolling 4 lines it would be great to have those guys in the bottom 6.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Kassian
Higgins Richardson Burrows
Dorsett Matthias Hansen
Sestito

If that 2nd line could click I wouldn't be so worried. We could start the 3rd/4th lines for every defensive zone draw of the season. Problem is that Vey can play C/RW and he is supposedly not very good on the wing at all. It was LA's centre depth that forced them to move him because they didn't want to push him on to the wing. So putting him on his off wing is setting him up to fail.

That leaves Burrows, Jensen (also not so good on LW), Higgins or a long shot of one of the rookies to make it. Benning has already said that he sees Burrows on the 2nd line so I think we will see him and Kassian flank Bonino. I think this line will be able to put up decent numbers but it relies on Burrows having a bounce back year.

The real question mark is who is going to take the tough assignments on the team.

Sedin line? No we tried that last year, let's leave them for offense.

Bonino line? Kassian and Bonino aren't our best shut down options, Burrows is great but this line could be in tough. We also need this line to be putting up points to help out the Sedins.

Vey line? Saddling a rookie centre with a heavy load is scary although he will be flanked by two great third line wingers either way you slice it. It might just work.

Richardson/Matthias line? Yes this line will be able to play defense but they should only be playing 12 minutes a night at most.

I just want the season to start. It's like a box of chocolates: sometimes you get stuck with one of those orange ones.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Burrows will be on the top line with Sedins, again.

Kassian, Bonino, Hansen. Speedy, skilled and tough.

Doubtful.

Vrbata seems to have signed here because of, iirc, some assurances that he'd play with the Twins.

This is what I think the 2nd line may be comprised of, and then the rest of the forward group.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata.
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows(Kassian)
Vey - Mathias - Kassian(Burrows)
Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen
Sestito

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I get the feeling that if one of the kids look ready to make the team Burrows is on his way out.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I love Higgins but he is not a second liner.
Put Burrows and Kassian on that line with Bonino :)

Higgins is a reliable 2nd liner at this point, burrows need a huge bounce back after 2 years of decline (last year even with the injuries he really fell off a huge cliff) and Zack could take the next step or level out, still big question marks.

2 big questions remain though,

1) Will we ever get a PP here

2) Which line plays the heavy MPG against the other teams top line? If it is the Sedins and Vrbata then it's going to be a very long season.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
My biggest worry is the DJ situation @ Rogers Arena. Has DJ Dave been fired yet?

Lots of uncertainty around this team. I honestly have no idea what to expect. Some players could have breakout seasons and we could surprise like we did in 06/07. Or this team could seriously bomb. On paper, our 2nd line looks meh.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I love Higgins but he is not a second liner.
Put Burrows and Kassian on that line with Bonino :)

If Burr bounces back like the poster below you said, then yeah, I could also see a scenario where we see Higgins on the 3rd instead of Burr.

I put that lineup together according to players playing in their more natural spots, aside from Burr who could essentially play either wing and fitting in the new guys(Bonino, Vey, Dorsett) as well, according to their natural playing positions and not upsetting or juggling the lineup too much.

The tough part is what to do with the bottom 6 if Burr actually has a top 6 worthy season again.

I think a part would have to be moved then.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Cause last year's second line was so amazing????
Higgins was the 24th highest (iirc) scoring LW in the league at ES.

Santo's pro rated ES production was 43 points.

I'll be ecstatic if they can replicated last year's 2nd line at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00