Proposal: Canucks Sabres post-lottery

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If we have Hughes and Vancouver wants him, the conversation starts with Pettersson.
So Jeichel Risto and J Hughes for Pettersson and Horvat?

Your proposal is REJECTED

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo wouldn't trade the 1st over all, nor the 2nd over all for that matter.
Now, if Buffalo ends up with 4th or 75th over all, Risto and the 4th/5th over all, Horvat doesn't get it done. Petterson is what gets it done imo.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Buffalo wouldn't trade the 1st over all, nor the 2nd over all for that matter.
Now, if Buffalo ends up with 4th or 75th over all, Risto and the 4th/5th over all, Horvat doesn't get it done. Petterson is what gets it done imo.

Ristolainen is not worth a 1st round pick...

Horvat is worth more than a defensively inept d-man and a player you HOPE to one day be as effective as Horvat (chances are he'll never be)

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Horvat is worth more than a defensively inept d-man and a player you HOPE to one day be as effective as Horvat (chances are he'll never be)
Risto averages 40 points a season. I think there’s only 12 other Dmen in the league who average that. He plays on a terrible team. He’s easily worth a 1st and much more.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Risto averages 40 points a season. I think there’s only 12 other Dmen in the league who average that. He plays on a terrible team. He’s easily worth a 1st and much more.
The takes on Ristolainen in this trade forum are getting absolutely embarassing. I've stopped trying to engage in conversations with these people because it really leads nowhere productive. I think he gets traded this offseason and these people will look very stupid.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Wait, so the sabres give up hughes and ristolainen, and canucks fans are saying no?
One of the problems is that the Canucks defence if awful, not even close to being good enough to support a Ristolainen type of player. So that means it's Jack Hughes for Horvat plus a high first. And Horvat is already a #1C. It's not for sure that Jack becomes a #1C (I think he will become a good first line player but it's not definite, plus he may play Wing at the NHL level while Vancouver needs a center). So why would Vancouver trade a for sure #1C for a maybe? Yes Jack has a high ceiling, but Horvat is also improving every year.

Plus Canucks add a high first in this deal, so this just doesn't make sense for Vancouver.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
3 way deal:

Canucks < 1st overall pick (Hughes)

Sabres < Boeser, Trouba

Winnipeg < Risto, Canuck's 1st round pick

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Way to complicated to evaluate this effectively.

I mean we'd be better served using a different piece (Pettersson has been mentioned) for Hughes (let's be real it's not for a first overall pick if we know who we're drafting). I don't like this idea. Straight across? Maybe in a vacuum. We're not moving Pettersson and honestly I'd say Horvat is the only other piece we wouldn't move under any realistic circumstance.

Another problem is need. We'd have to give up Horvat or Pettersson to make room for Hughes. Conversely (and feel free to call me out here) but doesn't Buffalo have a number of prime centermen in the system? I mean Eichel aside don't they have Middelstad Reinhart and Thompson? Then on top of that they actually have wingers and players developing into top six wingers? Where do our pieces fit? At least Hughes would be an upgrade (or project to be an upgrade) over anyone not named Eichel. Who does Horvat beat out of their roster long term? We need forwards. We have room to fit in another center (even if someone has to be moved to wing). The Sabres aren't in dire need.

Risto for Horvat though? A polite no thank you from this Canucks fan.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Risto is definitely worth a late 1st.......and for the "defensively inept D-Men" has been gone for a few games and we have given up 4,5,5 goals....so guess we aren't giving up goals simply because Risto is bad he just plays the most minutes on a team that can't play defense. You can stick 99% of the D-man in the same position for TOI for the Sabres in all of those years and expect a similar result.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Bo Horvat is a fine player, but he has 59 points in a career year and ranks 37th among centres in scoring.

#1c? Too good a player to risk for the #1 overall pick? Really?

Reactions: Priceless 39

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

I would take Byram and Risto over Horvat all day.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Bo Horvat is a fine player, but he has 59 points in a career year and ranks 37th among centres in scoring.

Hes a 1b C. Who can play all situations and handles all of the tough assignments against top players. He has 59 points with scrub or bottom 6 linemates as regulars. He would easily be 30+ goal scorer otherwise.

You're damn right its a risk. Canucks wont take this risk to remove likely the future captain.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Very easy no from this Sabres fan.

Risto and Horvat have similar value. Risto is a young, right handed top 4 offensive D man that can QB a PP. He’s also near the top of minutes played every year, and faces pretty much every team’s top line. His QoC numbers are near the top of the NHL last time I looked.

Risto has been in the top 30 for points among defenseman since entering the NHL, and over the last 3 years is closer to being top 20.

What in the world has Horvat done in his career so far to make him oh so valuable?
Risto has actually outscored Horvat numerous times in their careers so far, and he’s a defenseman.
Plus, it’s not like Horvat’s advanced stats or +/- have been all that great either.

A guy Risto is absolutely worth a 2C like Horvat.

So why would buffalo throw in the #1 overall pick in this scenario?
They wouldn’t.

If Canucks fans would rather have Horvat vs Risto, that’s fine. I get it. But let’s not act like Horvat carries way more value than Risto. They are about even at worst.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The only way Buffalo trades #1 to Vancouver is if the Canucks have #2. I think Buffalo would be fine with Kakko, especially if it can add more pieces in such a trade - but the Sabres would be foolish to drop any further than #2. Of course, Vancouver could try to call Buffalo's bluff that they wouldn't draft Hughes, but I think the 'Nucks would give something up to ensure they had both Hughes brothers.

Reactions: Chainshot

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

The dude plays the hardest minutes of anyone on the team and has waiver wire linemates.

Reactions: bh53

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
You know who values Risto more than most Sabres fans? An NHL GM to be named this summer. Wait and see. These idiot NHL executives fall in love with measurables and always think you can coach a player up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad