Proposal: Canucks Sabres post-lottery

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Canucks biggest need: youngish minute-munching RH defenceman
Sabres biggest need: youngish responsible 2nd line centre
Canucks dream: uniting the Hughes brothers.

If the Sabres won the lottery, what are the chances of a Ristolainen Horvat trade where the team’s swap top picks so the Canucks can take Jack Hughes? Who adds what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
If sabres won the lottery and you wanted Risto in the deal it would certainly start with Petterson. Or if the goal is to unite the brothers maybe we can work a Risto, the Hughes brothers wouldn't be in Vancouver though.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Canucks biggest need: youngish minute-munching RH defenceman
Sabres biggest need: youngish responsible 2nd line centre
Canucks wet dream: uniting the Hughes brothers.

If the Sabres won the lottery, what are the chances of a Ristolainen Horvat trade where the team’s swap top picks so the Canucks can take Jack Hughes? Who adds what?

Not interested in any deal around Horvat for risto

Would love Hughes but if we can’t get him, we’re more in need of d and wing prospects anyways

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So buffalo trades 1OA and Risto for Horvat ?

OP says swap, so Vancouver's 1st rounder (currently 8th pre-lottery) would be included; OP also was asking which side would add but that would be the main part of the trade. Moving 1st overall picks is tough, I think Buffalo would just take Hughes/Kakko and figure it out from there.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Risto has the worst +/- in the league by A LOT. If he was in the ballpark with others could be fine, but so far ahead doesnt sound like something wed want. Not to mention Horvat is a frickin beast out there so...

Trade proposal REJECTED

Reactions: bh53

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Horvat is off the table.

Even if we dont get Hughes, we will still get a promising player for the future with our own pick.

In what universe is there an NHL GM who would rather have Horvat than Hughes?
"Gee, we need a 2C, but this kid projects as a 1C!" (What an awful, awful problem that would be.)

I think these quotes answer each other quite well.

I also think fans who minimize how much Horvat would help Buffalo or Risto would help the Canucks don’t really watch the other team much.

The trade would be something like
Hughes and Risto for Horvat and Boldy/Cozens/Byrum/Turcotte/Dach

I’m not surprised that Canuck fans might be a tad unreasonably attached to Horvat, or that Risto opinions are all over the map. I am surprised that only one post has focused on Hughes.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Outsiders view, Buffalo should trade Risto for a 2nd before entertaining this proposal. Assuming they win the lottery over Ottawa/Colorado or whoever.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Sabres fans delusionally overvalue Risto, but even with that being the case there’s no way they trade the 1OA and give up the chance to have a young core of Hughes, Eichel, and Dahlin for years to come.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In what universe is there an NHL GM who would rather have Horvat than Hughes?
"Gee, we need a 2C, but this kid projects as a 1C!" (What an awful, awful problem that would be.)

Horvat is a 1b center who plays in all situations. Canucks pass esp when the prospect is unproven.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Buffalo realistically wouldn't trade 1OA but realistically there's no way Vancouver would trade Horvat. He is a strong, speedy, defensive centre who plays against the other teams top players and is tasked with shutting them down day in, day out who can still put up 60 points. He's a legit #1C, he's signed at a discount price, and he gets better every year. He's simply not on the table.

If Vancouver really wanted to reunite the Hughes bros, they might offer their first this year plus their first next year for the first overall pick this year. But that would be risky for both teams.

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
I know people think that the Canuck fans overvalue Horvat, but he is arguably their most important player. Yes Pettersson is the more skilled player. Horvat has taken nearly 1300 more face offs than Beagle, who is second on the team. He is on the ice for at least 50% of their face offs every single game, the faceoffs he doesn’t take, he is still on the ice for. I understand Hughes could very likely be the better player, but at this stage in my opinion I wouldn’t move Horvat for Risto. The Canucks have their highly skilled #1 in Pettersson, Horvat makes his minutes easier.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Risto has the worst +/- in the league by A LOT. If he was in the ballpark with others could be fine, but so far ahead doesnt sound like something wed want. Not to mention Horvat is a frickin beast out there so...

Trade proposal REJECTED
Something they both suck at lol, Horvat has the 38th worst career +/- of any active NHL player

Reactions: paulmm3

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Something they both suck at lol, Horvat has the 38th worst career +/- of any active NHL player
Thats true Ed and all Canucks fans would agree up til this year Horvats defense was his weakness and among fans around the league was overrated defensively. This year his improved his d tremendously which for us makes him a far more efficient beast.

I dont mean to exaggerate tho, he has a lotta work to do on his defense still, that CANT be denied

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad