+
1st Nucks

Vs

Rosto
+
1st Oa

SO bottom line

Horvat + Byram vs Risto + Hughes
Pre-lottery the Canucks are sitting at what 9th overall? They aren't getting Byram and in all likelihood Buffalo isn't getting the 1st overall pick either. "If" Buffalo lands the 1st overall pick it won't be moved.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I thinking having Pettersson and Horvat making up our top 6 centres is more we’ll rounded and better than Pettersson Hughes, personally I’d pass as I’d rather have Pettersson Horvat

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Guess you failed to realize he was saying

Horvat
+
1st Nucks

Vs

Rosto
+
1st Oa

SO bottom line

Horvat + Byram vs Risto + Hughes

I understood what he was saying, I was confused by the wording of

"Horvat is worth more than a defensively inept d-man and a player you HOPE to one day be as effective as Horvat"

The swap in your quote is reasonable to say no to, but the wording made it seem like you were saying Horvat was worth more than both which is what I disagreed with.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The only way Buffalo trades #1 to Vancouver is if the Canucks have #2. I think Buffalo would be fine with Kakko, especially if it can add more pieces in such a trade - but the Sabres would be foolish to drop any further than #2. Of course, Vancouver could try to call Buffalo's bluff that they wouldn't draft Hughes, but I think the 'Nucks would give something up to ensure they had both Hughes brothers.

A sane take as always. Thank you for being a beacon of reason in the storms.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As an outside fan looking in, I think it would be a mistake for Vancouver to focus on having another "brothers" combo. You're not going to get another set of Sedins magic, and it isn't fair for the Hughes kids to be put into that type of category. You want to set up your kids for success...not unrealistic expectations from the fanbase.

Reactions: Cogburn

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Something they both suck at lol, Horvat has the 38th worst career +/- of any active NHL player

A: +/- is a terrible stat.
B: Horvat has played on the worst team in hockey over the last four years. Of course his +/- will be bad.

If we have Hughes and Vancouver wants him, the conversation starts with Pettersson.

HAH. Hughes will likely be very good, but find me any situation in which a team trades the Calder winner for the first pick the following year.

Bo Horvat is a fine player, but he has 59 points in a career year and ranks 37th among centres in scoring.

#1c? Too good a player to risk for the #1 overall pick? Really?

As of last week, he had 21 goals from his wingers total. He'd easily have well over 60 points with a competent winger.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well Vancouver has a strong tradition of trading for brother combos. Nylanders, Reinharts, Schenns, Tkachuks....oh wait, it's just the Sedins.

And they were drafted the same year.

And they expressed that they may not stick in the NHL if they were split up.

And they were identical twins.

And not even all identical twins made a point of playing together (see the Lundquists).

I don't think we should be over paying to move up for Hughes just for the brother narritive, especially if it costs us other prime assets.

Buffalo shouldnt be trading a chance at another game breaker for lesser pieces.

I went into team logic and needs earlier.

Can we stop this?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
BUF needs help everywhere and doubt they would trade the pick. There is a greater chance if the AVs win the lottery to get 1st OA.

VAN is not trading any of their core NHL roster players to unite the Hughes brothers. If there is any deal to be made, it'll be swapping their 1st OA (approx 9th) and/or + prospects. They could just send prospects/picks for Barrie and not bother with uniting the brothers.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Horvat shouldn’t be off the table in a deal like this one. I love Horvat, but if I can get Risto and Hughes for Horvat and a 1st I do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad