Pre-Game Talk: Canucks @ Red Wings 7:30 ET

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I don't think Holland is lying. He doesn't seem to.

But if there's a trade in the works I'm sure he tellsBlash "sit this guy" or "play this guy to showcase him." I don't feel that's what's happening here though.

Yeah, I can only remember one time when it seemed Holland broke that rule and then it was to get the rookie (Nyquist IIRC) in the lineup, not out. This is on Blashill until someone proves it isn't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I can only remember one time when it seemed Holland broke that rule and then it was to get the rookie (Nyquist IIRC) in the lineup, not out. This is on Blashill until someone proves it isn't.

Holland did the exact opposite of this.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Holland did the exact opposite of this.

No, Holland kept Nyquist in Grand Rapids longer than he should have been but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about. When the rookie is actually on the Red Wings roster, as Sproul is today, the only time he has been involving himself in who plays and who sits in the pressbox to my knowledge is when he stopped Babcock from pressboxing the rookie.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That 3rd line has some sizzle

That line on paper makes me happy. Helm sets a good example of working hard and benefits from AA's talent. Bertuzzi may be a lucky charm have no problem with him on the 3rd and Sheahan on the 4th.

Why the switch for Nielsen and Zetterberg? 24 minutes last game wasn't enough for Z?:laugh: May be they feel Nielsen isn't carrying his own weight or he could spark some chemistry with Tatar?

We got a heavy dose of Blashill's "tinkering" last game. Ended up winning but reverting to his neurotic juggling is not a healthy strategy. Leave these lines alone.

Kronwall on the 2nd pair, curious how does being sheltered less.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No, Holland kept Nyquist in Grand Rapids longer than he should have been but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about. When the rookie is actually on the Red Wings roster, as Sproul is today, the only time he has been involving himself in who plays and who sits in the pressbox to my knowledge is when he stopped Babcock from pressboxing the rookie.

Had a different interpretation of what you were trying to say. Was unaware of Holland ever saying Nyquist can't go in the pressbox.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Had a different interpretation of what you were trying to say. Was unaware of Holland ever saying Nyquist can't go in the pressbox.

It's not so much Holland saying that as it was Babcock trying to pressbox Nyquist and mysteriously ending up playing him anyway. There's no smoking gun evidence that it really was Holland who forced his hand (though I personally think it was), but then there's no evidence at all to suggest he has ever involved himself the other way.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Nucks are easily the most garbage franchise in the league.

Hopefully the Wings win.

Well that's not very nice.

Good luck to you guys tonight, hard to know what to expect out of our team but most of our fanbase thinks Willie is on his last legs.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
We need these points. Draft wise, this would be one of the worst years to get a high pick and/or find ourselves sellers at the deadline.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need these points. Draft wise, this would be one of the worst years to get a high pick and/or find ourselves sellers at the deadline.

It might be one of the worst years to have a 1-4 pick, but not sure it is a bad draft for an 8-12 pick. Doubt we would finish worse than 8-12 range, to be honest.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Zetterberg centering the first line. Took 1/5th of the season.

LMAO.

Cut his minutes. Yeah okay. This guy is so scared it's hilarious:laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Zetterberg centering the first line. Took 1/5th of the season.

LMAO.

Cut his minutes. Yeah okay. This guy is so scared it's hilarious:laugh:

I have to wonder how much the weight of playoffs is in his mind, and if that's because of Holland.

I have to assume that coaches get mandates from GMs like "this is an off year, no pressure, just get the kids to a good place and make the transition to the new core" or "make the playoffs or else."

It sure seems like Blash got the latter. We know from his time in GR he's fine with utilizing kids but he seems almost allergic to it.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Assuming it's like that: Would the weight of playoffs really speak in favor of playing Z on the 1st line that early and that much?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have to wonder how much the weight of playoffs is in his mind, and if that's because of Holland.

I have to assume that coaches get mandates from GMs like "this is an off year, no pressure, just get the kids to a good place and make the transition to the new core" or "make the playoffs or else."

It sure seems like Blash got the latter. We know from his time in GR he's fine with utilizing kids but he seems almost allergic to it.

Zetterberg as your 1st line center is a bad idea if either of those goals are being asked of you.

We gave up on Larkin at center waaaaaaaay too early. Should be him and Nielsen.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
They need to not take Vancouver lightly. They just gave the Rsngers a down to earth asskicking the other night. It's good they're riding Jimmy. Go with the hot hand. We need to win at home. We're better than this. Still no Sproul ugh!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Zetterberg as your 1st line center is a bad idea if either of those goals are being asked of you.

We gave up on Larkin at center waaaaaaaay too early. Should be him and Nielsen.

I still trust Z at 1C way more than Larkin. I did not like what I saw from Larkin as a C. I agree he needs more time, but during that time we're going to struggle and it seems clear Blashill is not willing to struggle.

The question then becomes whether it is even close to sustainable to have Z there for any extended period of time. Because I'm sure I'm not alone in doubting that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad