Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall G Arturs Silovs

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
JohnHodgson is trying to say that we were all clutching our pearls over it. I thought in reality there were a range of opinions both ways. That's what I'm addressing.
It was a very good move to bring up Silovs, and a good move to give him a run of games...end of story.

I definitely noticed last night, that he's obviously more relaxed..more in position..and has some extraordinary reflexes.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
JohnHodgson is trying to say that we were all clutching our pearls over it. I thought in reality there were a range of opinions both ways. That's what I'm addressing.

I'm only calling out the obvious overreactions. There were many people that were OK with it, as they should have.

Canucks fans find a way to complain about anything and everything. Complaining about getting a soon to be 22 year old goalie (who's a started in the AHL) getting some NHL game action is just mind-numbingly stupid.

Reactions: Zippgunn

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It was a very good move to bring up Silovs, and a good move to give him a run of games...end of story.

I definitely noticed last night, that he's obviously more relaxed..more in position..and has some extraordinary reflexes.

Yup.

You get a lot of flack on here but you nailed your post about Silovs on the first page. This is the perfect time to get Silovs some action... low pressure environment while the season's gone anyway.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I'm only calling out the obvious overreactions. There were many people that were OK with it, as they should have.

Canucks fans find a way to complain about anything and everything. Complaining about getting a soon to be 22 year old goalie (who's a started in the AHL) getting some NHL game action is just mind-numbingly stupid.
They will even complain about complaining, weeks after said complaints

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
They will even complain about complaining, weeks after said complaints

Exactly. ;)

Frankly, this board used to be a lot better when fans actually thought for themselves and used some critical thinking. Now they just parrot off media guys like Drance etc.

I don't like to complain about people complaining, but my god, the reaction here during the Hronek trade... it was so unbearable. People acting like they lost a family member or something.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Canuck fan 1: OMG this boat is built just like the titanic, can't you see those icebergs on the horizon, we're ALL gonna Die!

Canuck fan 2: Dude wtf are you even talking about, this is a sailboat and those white objects on the horizon are just clouds, we're fine!

Rinse and repeat, year after year. I blame Benning, unless it's all Gillis' fault.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Loved Silovs' rebound control last night. It was one thing I was concerned about from the AHL games I've watched him play. But, last night, he was almost Demko-esque how he ate pucks. The third goal was a big rebound but he was very good for the most part.

Reactions: Lindgren

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Exactly. ;)

Frankly, this board used to be a lot better when fans actually thought for themselves and used some critical thinking. Now they just parrot off media guys like Drance etc.

I don't like to complain about people complaining, but my god, the reaction here during the Hronek trade... it was so unbearable. People acting like they lost a family member or something.
What's your position with the Canucks? Because you definitely work for them.

• Haha

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
What's your position with the Canucks? Because you definitely work for them.
I wish… it’s my dream job to work for them… maybe I should pursue it seriously :laugh:

Because I’m not completely trashing the shit out of the organization and management team, it means I’m so biased that I work for them?? Haha

I have no allegiance or loyalty to current management at all. The one sided bashing here is too much… most of the times without merit.

I think they have delivered a B/B+ performance so far. I’m cautiously optimistic. I’m definitely straddling the middle… don’t feel like I need to pick a side. There’s a lot of TBD when it comes to grading current management. Their report card is going to be based off of what roster they have heading into next year. Seems like they have 3-5 major moves to make before finalizing roster.

So let’s wait until then… not in a rush to declare Allvin a total W or L

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Anyone have a sense of his range, floor and upside?
Based on his size, athleticism, form, and mental make-up at 21 years of age I see no reason why he shouldn't develop into a solid #1. All of the things that need tweaking are completely teachable and come with experience. Time will tell whether he can become more than that. The goalie controversy is still 3 years away...

Reactions: MarkMM

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Based on his size, athleticism, form, and mental make-up at 21 years of age I see no reason why he shouldn't develop into a solid #1. All of the things that need tweaking are completely teachable and come with experience. Time will tell whether he can become more than that. The goalie controversy is still 3 years away...
Demko’s contract is up in 3 years …

Reactions: iceburg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know conventional wisdom on Silovs is that he needs to head back to Abbotsford next season, to get a bulk of the starts.

Of course that assumes the Canucks can find a veteran backup goalie, not named Martin or Delia. Because frankly I don't think either guy is up to the task. Seems that every time they play, it's a 'guaranteed loss night'.

Assuming Demko stays healthy then the backup in Vancouver probably gets 30-35 starts. I'd really like to see Silovs in that role, despite his youth. Playing games in the NHL and working with Ian Clark at every practice, would do as much or more for his development than playing more games in the AHL.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I wish… it’s my dream job to work for them… maybe I should pursue it seriously :laugh:

Because I’m not completely trashing the shit out of the organization and management team, it means I’m so biased that I work for them?? Haha

I have no allegiance or loyalty to current management at all. The one sided bashing here is too much… most of the times without merit.

I think they have delivered a B/B+ performance so far. I’m cautiously optimistic. I’m definitely straddling the middle… don’t feel like I need to pick a side. There’s a lot of TBD when it comes to grading current management. Their report card is going to be based off of what roster they have heading into next year. Seems like they have 3-5 major moves to make before finalizing roster.

So let’s wait until then… not in a rush to declare Allvin a total W or L

Buddy you are so far from straddling the middle it's funny you say that. And that's not to say I don't enjoy your posts. I think you're good for this forum - you do bring a lot of sensibility and you call out over-reactions to a tee; But straddle the middle? I don't think I've seen you disagree with a single move this management has made.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Buddy you are so far from straddling the middle it's funny you say that. And that's not to say I don't enjoy your posts. I think you're good for this forum - you do bring a lot of sensibility and you call out over-reactions to a tee; But straddle the middle? I don't think I've seen you disagree with a single move this management has made.
That’s a fair take given that I basically been trying to add some sensibility to this forum but definitely gives off defending management vibes.

Here’s what I haven’t liked so far:

- shoulda fired Bruce earlier but who knows what went on behind the scenes

- Boeser extension was understandable at the time but then adding Mikehyev right after just didn’t make sense in terms of allocation of dollars to the lineup. I personally hoped Boeser to be traded even if it was for a discounted value. Been on the trade Boeser train ever since his hurt his back and was never the same.

- JTM should have been traded at last deadline… even if that reported offer was not up to par at the time (chytil, lundqvist 1st). They obviously didn’t want to “lose” the trade and shot themselves in the foot. Let’s see if they can redeem this whole fiasco this summer but it’s looking like we’re stuck with him but he’ll still be able to contribute on a retool

- probably should have went harder after Marino… tough to say though since we’re not in the war room

- in hindsight, probably should have tried to trade the pick last year instead of drafting another winger… a Romanov-esque deal would have really accelerated the retool

- too much talking from JR. Old head needs to STFU. Glad they fixed this.

We’d be much further along our retool if we had Chytil as our 2C and Lundqvist + 1st to use as trade chips for young, cheap players. JTM still a great player but we would be in much better position if they didn’t let their egos get in the way.

B/B+ is fair given what a bad situation Benning left them in.

A grade is definitely too biased- missing the JTM trade means they’re not even close to that grading. C grade is just ridiculous considering how well the pro scouting has shown so far (Joshua, Kuz, Mikheyev, Aman, Wolanin, Bear, PDG, Beau, Dries). Even the ones that didn’t work out (Stillman, Lazar) were parlayed for picks/prospects.

This offseason is absolutely massive and could turn the tide in a major way. They need to address/fix like five major situations. Myers, OEL, Garland, Boeser, JTM.

Petey, Beau, Hronek are also eligible for extensions. It’s going to be a MASSIVE offseason.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Surprisingly good.

Being our 4th string I thought he was going to be scorched but so far he's shown he's a nhl goalie. I do feel he should start next year as the abbotsford number 1 and let him continue his development.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That’s a fair take given that I basically been trying to add some sensibility to this forum but definitely gives off defending management vibes.

Here’s what I haven’t liked so far:

- shoulda fired Bruce earlier but who knows what went on behind the scenes

- Boeser extension was understandable at the time but then adding Mikehyev right after just didn’t make sense in terms of allocation of dollars to the lineup. I personally hoped Boeser to be traded even if it was for a discounted value. Been on the trade Boeser train ever since his hurt his back and was never the same.

- JTM should have been traded at last deadline… even if that reported offer was not up to par at the time (chytil, lundqvist 1st). They obviously didn’t want to “lose” the trade and shot themselves in the foot. Let’s see if they can redeem this whole fiasco this summer but it’s looking like we’re stuck with him but he’ll still be able to contribute on a retool

- probably should have went harder after Marino… tough to say though since we’re not in the war room

- in hindsight, probably should have tried to trade the pick last year instead of drafting another winger… a Romanov-esque deal would have really accelerated the retool

- too much talking from JR. Old head needs to STFU. Glad they fixed this.

We’d be much further along our retool if we had Chytil as our 2C and Lundqvist + 1st to use as trade chips for young, cheap players. JTM still a great player but we would be in much better position if they didn’t let their egos get in the way.

B/B+ is fair given what a bad situation Benning left them in.

A grade is definitely too biased- missing the JTM trade means they’re not even close to that grading. C grade is just ridiculous considering how well the pro scouting has shown so far (Joshua, Kuz, Mikheyev, Aman, Wolanin, Bear, PDG, Beau, Dries). Even the ones that didn’t work out (Stillman, Lazar) were parlayed for picks/prospects.

This offseason is absolutely massive and could turn the tide in a major way. They need to address/fix like five major situations. Myers, OEL, Garland, Boeser, JTM.

Petey, Beau, Hronek are also eligible for extensions. It’s going to be a MASSIVE offseason.
Off topic a bit, but everybody would have shit themselves if the Canucks had traded their 1st round draft pick last season..That would have been trading 3 out of 4..Not that it might have necessarily be wrong idea, but it would have put the new management on a serious wrong foot as far as the fanbase/media was concerned.

Look at the fallout/reaction from trading this years (surplus) 1st..?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Of course that assumes the Canucks can find a veteran backup goalie, not named Martin or Delia. Because frankly I don't think either guy is up to the task. Seems that every time they play, it's a 'guaranteed loss night'.
Erm, OK I guess. Looks like Delia has won 7 of 13 games this year whereas Demko has won 5 of 18. Even Martin was better than Demko in win % with 11 wins out of 29 games. But Demko is described here as "Vezina quality" constantly. Go figure.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Off topic a bit, but everybody would have shit themselves if the Canucks had traded their 1st round draft pick last season..That would have been trading 3 out of 4..Not that it might have necessarily be wrong idea, but it would have put the new management on a serious wrong foot as far as the fanbase/media was concerned.

Look at the fallout/reaction from trading this years (surplus) 1st..?
Yup that's why I said in hindsight.

Using that first for someone like Romanov on a cheap contract would have been way better value/timeline than drafting another winger.

Probably should have taken a centre if they had plans on trading one of Miller/Horvat. Didn't need another winger.

If he's truly the BPA, guess we'l have to see but it's not trending well.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Erm, OK I guess. Looks like Delia has won 7 of 13 games this year whereas Demko has won 5 of 18. Even Martin was better than Demko in win % with 11 wins out of 29 games. But Demko is described here as "Vezina quality" constantly. Go figure.

Vezina quality this year? No. Last couple years? Yes. The guy was consistently excellent on a team with some of the worst defensive play I've ever seen. He led the league for most of last year in 5 on 5 save percentage AND high danger chances against. His GSAA has also been good for 2 seasons. This year he just wasn't at that level out of the gate and that was a big part of the team losing leads and not getting carried by goaltending as before.

He can be a potential vezina winner in the next few seasons and one of the best in the game the last few and also have been bad to start the year. Those can both be true. Also wins are a team stat not a goalie stat.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Vezina quality this year? No. Last couple years? Yes. The guy was consistently excellent on a team with some of the worst defensive play I've ever seen. He led the league for most of last year in 5 on 5 save percentage AND high danger chances against. His GSAA has also been good for 2 seasons. This year he just wasn't at that level out of the gate and that was a big part of the team losing leads and not getting carried by goaltending as before.

He can be a potential vezina winner in the next few seasons and one of the best in the game the last few and also have been bad to start the year. Those can both be true. Also wins are a team stat not a goalie stat.
Demko has certainly come back very strong so far but I still think that he's ridiculously overrated as an NHL goalie. I find that the Canucks fanbase are desperate for another hero goalie like Luongo (another hopelessly overrated goalie IMHO) so every negative thing about Demko gets attributed to the team being bad but any positive thing about the backups is attributed to the team being good. Again IMHO Silovs is already at least as good as Demko and anybody who lumps Martin and Delia together simply haven't watched the games; Martin was appalling and Delia was relatively solid bar a couple of real bad (team) games. I would definitely be looking at any offers for Demko in the off season because I think he won't make any difference in our immediate future; that seems to be when we find out what Silovs is really made of. I could easily live with a Silovs/Delia tandem moving forward...

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Demko has certainly come back very strong so far but I still think that he's ridiculously overrated as an NHL goalie. I find that the Canucks fanbase are desperate for another hero goalie like Luongo (another hopelessly overrated goalie IMHO) so every negative thing about Demko gets attributed to the team being bad but any positive thing about the backups is attributed to the team being good. Again IMHO Silovs is already at least as good as Demko and anybody who lumps Martin and Delia together simply haven't watched the games; Martin was appalling and Delia was relatively solid bar a couple of real bad (team) games. I would definitely be looking at any offers for Demko in the off season because I think he won't make any difference in our immediate future; that seems to be when we find out what Silovs is really made of. I could easily live with a Silovs/Delia tandem moving forward...

Not many would agree with you on that, and for reasons obvious to most. If one takes small sample sizes as gospel then Martin was excellent last year too. Silovs has been great but it's always hard to evaluate goalies when they are fresh and not fully scouted and gameplanned for by the opposition. A longer track record would be required to say Silovs is as good as Demko. I hope to see Silovs develop and play at this level consistently but to assume he will is definitely pushing it.

I don't think many people are solely blaming teamplay for Demkos start. The team was bad in front of him but they hadn't played defense in front of him for years (as evidenced by the advanced stats amd eye test). He was strictly worse than he was previously, whether it was physical or mental is up for debate but he played worse to start the year.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Do you have any specifics as to why you think Demko is overrated? I mean from a technical standpoint, not from a "fans are bad so Demko is bad" kinda thing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of all the players in Abbotsford, the biggest 'movers' amongst legitimate Canuck prospects have been Silovs and Bains. Simply different players than they were at the start of the season.

Both guys may need another year in the AHL--but have definitely inserted themselves into the conversation for full time duty with the parent Canucks.

Not bad for two guys; one a goalie drafted out of Latvia in the 6th round; and Bains, who was signed as an undrafted UFA out of the WHL.

When you've flushed as many draft picks as the Canucks have over the years, it eases the pain a bit when you hit on a couple of unexpected guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad