Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall G Arturs Silovs

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Nah it was just funny to see Canucks "fans" complaining about ruining his confidence, why even bring him up etc.

If Canucks won in 2011, I think the "fans" would complain that it wasn't a sweep.
Canucks “fans” had fresh in their mind the memory of another promising young goalie in Mikey DiPietro abused badly in his NHL debut on a garbage Canucks team. You try way too hard for “gotchas”.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnHodgson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canucks “fans” had fresh in their mind the memory of another promising young goalie in Mikey DiPietro abused badly in his NHL debut on a garbage Canucks team. You try way too hard for “gotchas”.

Dipietro was a teenager playing junior hockey and Silovs is the nearly 22 y/o AHL starter. Fans drew a false equivalency and then overreacted to it.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nah it was just funny to see Canucks "fans" complaining about ruining his confidence, why even bring him up etc.

If Canucks won in 2011, I think the "fans" would complain that it wasn't a sweep.

I think that's a little much.

Fans are just scarred from the last decade or so of complete incompetence from the organization and almost everything going wrong. Hard to blame them.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Dipietro was a teenager playing junior hockey and Silovs is the nearly 22 y/o AHL starter. Fans drew a false equivalency and then overreacted to it.
That’s fine but the poster I quoted is not using your eye.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think that's a little much.

Fans are just scarred from the last decade or so of complete incompetence from the organization and almost everything going wrong. Hard to blame them.
I certainly think you can’t blame them. but now they can learn that the past pain is not a reliable guide to base current and future decisions.

That was then this is now.

(Thats separate from if someone thinks rebuilding or retooling is the best way forward, but dose include how they go about it)

Also Im only bumping this because I was right, and Im a little man.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
However, my assessment only works if this is a one-off. I think they need to send him back down to Abby ASAP. This was nice but to put him in front of our non-defence again isn't helpful to him IMO.

We lost to Detroit two straight, there is no limit to the depths that this defence as a team can't sink to.
This comment got 7 likes??? 😂😂

They could reward him with an NHL playcheque by having him backup and work with Clark at practice. As I said in my earlier post. Which, as usual, you cannot respond to or intentionally ignore credible arguments.

If they want to keep him up, I can't see how playing a raw rookie in one of the worst defensive environments in the NHL is good for his development.

Yessir.

You can’t see how getting NHL experience would be good for his development???

People rly just be saying stuff these days huh… anything to give a hot take.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
So is he the odds-on favorite to be back up next season? Might be about of necessity due to cap constraints.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So is he the odds-on favorite to be back up next season? Might be about of necessity due to cap constraints.

I don't think it would be prudent just yet to hand him the backup reins. He's still young and he needs starts, getting the lion's share in Abbotsford is a good thing for him.

If we run into injuries or emergency recalls, we know he can jump in, get some games, develop and do well.

Unless he thoroughly outplays all the competition in camp and makes it a no-brainer (possible), I'd still have him in Abbotsford to start next season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Always good to come back here for a laugh :)

Can easily tell who knows their stuff here and who doesn’t
Yessir.

Says the guy still going on in the main board threads about Carolina not trading Seth Jarvis for some reason.

Also says the guy who wanted to bring Seth Jones to VAN.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think it would be prudent just yet to hand him the backup reins. He's still young and he needs starts, getting the lion's share in Abbotsford is a good thing for him.

If we run into injuries or emergency recalls, we know he can jump in, get some games, develop and do well.

Unless he thoroughly outplays all the competition in camp and makes it a no-brainer (possible), I'd still have him in Abbotsford to start next season.
You're probably right but I would still try to get him 20 games in the NHL next year. There are lots of examples of 22/23 year olds (Silovs turns 22 in two weeks) that have decent NHL experience by that age. Some more recent examples include Luukkonen, Oettinger, Swayman, Skinner, and Hart.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

I think they're going to try Spencer Martin at backup first because he's on a one way deal.

If he can't cut it, we can call up Silovs. Martin as a backup should be fine. He was terrible this year but was in a starter role that he clearly wasn't prepared for.

The defense should also be improved so we should at least give him a chance so Silovs can dominate the year in Abby and be a plan B to Martin.

Reactions: MarkMM

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think they're going to try Spencer Martin at backup first because he's on a one way deal.

If he can't cut it, we can call up Silovs. Martin as a backup should be fine. He was terrible this year but was in a starter role that he clearly wasn't prepared for.

The defense should also be improved so we should at least give him a chance so Silovs can dominate the year in Abby and be a plan B to Martin.

Likely the plan. And I think it's a decently sound one. But next year I suspect they will start the transition to Silovs being the backup. Get him a bunch of games early in the AHL and back half of the season get him into 10-15 NHL games (assuming everyone is healthy). Gets him 40ish games on the year which is good. Full back up duties in 24/25.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Likely the plan. And I think it's a decently sound one. But next year I suspect they will start the transition to Silovs being the backup. Get him a bunch of games early in the AHL and back half of the season get him into 10-15 NHL games (assuming everyone is healthy). Gets him 40ish games on the year which is good. Full back up duties in 24/25.

Yup - I think this is the ideal path.

Relying on Silovs to be a backup to provide 20-25 games seems too risky right now... would be a putting a lot of pressure on the kid + pretty risky for a team gunning for the playoffs.

Hopefully Silovs plays well enough to supplant Martin in the back-half of the season and is a legitimate backup to Demko as we try for the playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there a single Canuck prospect in any league, who's come as far and as fast in one season as Arturs Silovs?

Gone from being just another prospect goalie to knocking on the door of the NHL. He has size, athleticism and is starting to read the plays before they happen.

If nothing else, the Canucks have a nice insurance policy waiting in the wings if Demko goes down again. Ian Clark looks to have done it again!

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Says the guy still going on in the main board threads about Carolina not trading Seth Jarvis for some reason.

Also says the guy who wanted to bring Seth Jones to VAN.
This is the part where you take your L and take accountability of your horrendous take instead of snooping through my profile 😂

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This comment got 7 likes??? 😂😂

Yessir.

Yeah way to cherry pick a post from his very first game. Since then the team has gotten a lot better at defending and has cut down a lot on quality chances. As a result all the goalies have performed better.

Keeping him at the NHL level if the team played the way they did around the time of the Detroit games would not have been good for his development. At this point they are sound enough that they are essentially able to shelter him. He hasn't had to make that many tough saves in his games since.

If he can get 10 games with the big club next year and put up dominant AHL numbers, that would be the ideal scenario.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Yeah way to cherry pick a post from his very first game. Since then the team has gotten a lot better at defending and has cut down a lot on quality chances. As a result all the goalies have performed better.

If he can get 10 games with the big club next year and put up dominant AHL numbers, that would be the ideal scenario.
The best way to develop is to play. The hysteria in here because they wanted to give him some NHL game action to see how he would fare is hilarious.

Defense is a tire fire… so what? Put him out there get so he can get some experience with NHL pace, NHL shot, NHL speed. People really think careers are going to be ruined if a goalie has a bad 4-5 games in his rookie year. Like what???

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The best way to develop is to play. The hysteria in here because they wanted to give him some NHL game action to see how he would fare is hilarious.

Defense is a tire fire… so what? Put him out there get so he can get some experience with NHL pace, NHL shot, NHL speed. People really think careers are going to be ruined if a goalie has a bad 4-5 games in his rookie year. Like what???
It's not that simple. Some guys don't have the mental game developed so those disastrous performances can tank their confidence and sometimes they never recover.

It can even happen to veteran goalies who have already adapted to NHL speed and pace. Look at Campbell this year.

It was the right idea to give him a game at the time of his first callup, and they subsequently sent him down. He's up again now because Delia is hurt and he is doing well. But at the same time this is a much more fruitful development environment because a couple of soft goals isn't going to snowball like it did earlier in the season.

But hey, hot takes right?

Reactions: Nomobo and Aqualung

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Keeping him at the NHL level if the team played the way they did around the time of the Detroit games would not have been good for his development. At this point they are sound enough that they are essentially able to shelter him. He hasn't had to make that many tough saves in his games since.

I dont think anybody is debating that he shouldn't have gone back to Abby after a run of games (and a healthy Demko)...It was the overreacting and negativity that occurred from bringing him up for a game in the first place.

He's done nothing but build up from that Rangers game, and Silovs growing confidence is evident in his play.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It's not that simple. Some guys don't have the mental game developed so those disastrous performances can tank their confidence and sometimes they never recover.

It can even happen to veteran goalies who have already adapted to NHL speed and pace. Look at Campbell this year.

It was the right idea to give him a game at the time of his first callup, and they subsequently sent him down. He's up again now because Delia is hurt and he is doing well. But at the same time this is a much more fruitful development environment because a couple of soft goals isn't going to snowball like it did earlier in the season.

But hey, hot takes right?

Probably because Campbell's not a good starting goalie? If they don't have the mental game to overcome 4/5 bad starts in their rookie year - they aren't made to be an NHL starting goalie anyway.

Dude had one half decent year and duped the Oilers to a long-term extension.

He was a life-long backup and had a half-decent season.

It is actually that simple.

Organization (including Ian Clark) clearly felt like he was ready to come in and get some game action. He's been great so far. The hysteria and bad takes here were just overbearing. People try to be fancy and different when it's not really the case. The most obvious answer is usually the right one.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I dont think anybody is debating that he shouldn't have gone back to Abby after a run of games (and a healthy Demko)...It was the overreacting and negativity that occurred from bringing him up for a game in the first place.

He's done nothing but build up from that Rangers game, and Silovs growing confidence is evident in his play.
JohnHodgson is trying to say that we were all clutching our pearls over it. I thought in reality there were a range of opinions both ways. That's what I'm addressing.

Reactions: tradervik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad