Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Pascal Pelletier from Utica

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think Grenier deserves a shot and the reasoning that he's a Canucks prospect and young so he should get called up is what I was disagreeing with. If being young and being a prospect means you should play, then why not just call them all up?

I'm lost the staemaent i had issue with was "Grenier doesn't deserve a shot. Bring Jensen up to play with the twins." I argued if Jensen is playing worse than Grenier and he doesn't deserve to come up, why in the world would Jensen be rewarded for his inferior play?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm lost the staemaent i had issue with was "Grenier doesn't deserve a shot. Bring Jensen up to play with the twins." I argued if Jensen is playing worse than Grenier and he doesn't deserve to come up, why in the world would Jensen be rewarded for his inferior play?

It's more of an impatience thing, as a fan base. Jensen was a higher round draft pick than Grenier, and has been compared to Saad a lot in terms of development curve. Everyone was super high on him after his good season in Europe. I think that people want to see Jensen 'get it' in the NHL so that they feel better about the team's direction regarding a youth movement.

Just my 2 cents.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Or maybe give him a shot In the top the 9? Theirs only a couple of games before the Olympic break, give the kid a shot

Canucks are trying to win so call up the best player. If the Canucks were out of the playoffs sure call up Grenier.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
It's more of an impatience thing, as a fan base. Jensen was a higher round draft pick than Grenier, and has been compared to Saad a lot in terms of development curve. Everyone was super high on him after his good season in Europe. I think that people want to see Jensen 'get it' in the NHL so that they feel better about the team's direction regarding a youth movement.

Just my 2 cents.

I feel like some people around here are way too into Jensen.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

They were being sarcastic and riffing on the poster that was saying that Grenier should be called up because he is young and Pelletier isn't.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't think someone should receive a callup just because they're a Canucks prospect, that's why I don't think Grenier should get one. His play isn't deserving of it. Just like Jensen in that regard (even though Grenier is doing better)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think someone should receive a callup just because they're a Canucks prospect, that's why I don't think Grenier should get one. His play isn't deserving of it. Just like Jensen in that regard (even though Grenier is doing better)

So basically we agree. Neither "deserves" a call-up based on their on-ice performances. Draft position, free agency, etc. sholud have no impact on reasoning.. You get the call because they need the best you have at the moment.

On the other hand, if management wants a look for themselves, that's up to them.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I hope the organization is patient with Jensen. I think different players mature at different rates and I'm willing to bet that as he gets bigger and stronger, he'll turn out ok.

I just wish there was more talent on the team for him to play with.

I'm ok with being patient with the prospects so using Pelletier as a call up is fine with me

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I hope the organization is patient with Jensen. I think different players mature at different rates and I'm willing to bet that as he gets bigger and stronger, he'll turn out ok.

I just wish there was more talent on the team for him to play with.

I'm ok with being patient with the prospects so using Pelletier as a call up is fine with me

Yeah there's not much point in giving up on him yet. He's got 2 years on his deal yet as far as I can tell, and as long as he doesn't decide to go to Europe, you keep playing him. By the time he's 22 we should jave a better idea of what we have. Someone like Niklas Hagman makes sense. Didn't do much until he was 22 and didn't become a consistant 25 goal scorer until he was 28-30.

With Jensen's start in the SHL, people's eyes grew and we started talking about Jeff Carter-lite potential. Despite his junior numbers not being that impressive and some attitude concerns arising. Then came this season which has been a nightmare for him and tempered fans' expectations. We may be able to develop a 20 goal scorer at the NHL level now. The fact of the matter is that impact players hardly play in the AHL, and if they do, they generally dominate. That's not what we have in Jensen, and for a 29th overall pick, it's not the end of the world either. If he can develop over the next couple years into a player that can contribute at the NHL level, it's still a solid pick in that range.

Detroit has a few good examples in Grand Rapids. Teemu Pulkkinen barely played in the AHL last year and at 22 leads the Griffins in scoring. Or even Calle Jarnkrok who at 21 is having a decent season in the AHL, but nothing spectacular. Still expected to be an NHL contributor and likely has a very good season in the AHL next year at 22.

Basically we have to change our approach on Jensen's development and expectations at this point. This is not a future 40 goal NHL scorer. But could he pan out to be a decent 20 goal winger with size in a couple years? Potentially. But it would be silly to not at least give him that chance now.

Part of accepting his new development path is understanding that guys like Pelletier are going to be called up before Jensen. Because they deserve it and Jensen is no longer the prospect he looked to be that gets the benefit of the doubt. He's a long-range guy now and they will be patient, as long as he doesn't decide Europe is a better place for him. Pelletier is leading Utica in scoring at a PPG and the obvious choice for a call-up right now, Jensen has a lot of work to do before he should be considered.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Yeah there's not much point in giving up on him yet. He's got 2 years on his deal yet as far as I can tell, and as long as he doesn't decide to go to Europe, you keep playing him. By the time he's 22 we should jave a better idea of what we have. Someone like Niklas Hagman makes sense. Didn't do much until he was 22 and didn't become a consistant 25 goal scorer until he was 28-30.

With Jensen's start in the SHL, people's eyes grew and we started talking about Jeff Carter-lite potential. Despite his junior numbers not being that impressive and some attitude concerns arising. Then came this season which has been a nightmare for him and tempered fans' expectations. We may be able to develop a 20 goal scorer at the NHL level now. The fact of the matter is that impact players hardly play in the AHL, and if they do, they generally dominate. That's not what we have in Jensen, and for a 29th overall pick, it's not the end of the world either. If he can develop over the next couple years into a player that can contribute at the NHL level, it's still a solid pick in that range.

Detroit has a few good examples in Grand Rapids. Teemu Pulkkinen barely played in the AHL last year and at 22 leads the Griffins in scoring. Or even Calle Jarnkrok who at 21 is having a decent season in the AHL, but nothing spectacular. Still expected to be an NHL contributor and likely has a very good season in the AHL next year at 22.

Basically we have to change our approach on Jensen's development and expectations at this point. This is not a future 40 goal NHL scorer. But could he pan out to be a decent 20 goal winger with size in a couple years? Potentially. But it would be silly to not at least give him that chance now.

Part of accepting his new development path is understanding that guys like Pelletier are going to be called up before Jensen. Because they deserve it and Jensen is no longer the prospect he looked to be that gets the benefit of the doubt. He's a long-range guy now and they will be patient, as long as he doesn't decide Europe is a better place for him. Pelletier is leading Utica in scoring at a PPG and the obvious choice for a call-up right now, Jensen has a lot of work to do before he should be considered.

too bad many people dont see it this way...they just expect every prospect to develop the same way.....either progress without having a single down year or just stat watch and if they look good, progress! if not, bust!

It's all about being patient whether they r first rounders or 7ths...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, Jensen still could pan out for sure. It's not like he's Sauve, who aside from some short blips has shown no improvement. Jensen made some good and some bad progress last year, then struggled to start this year, and is starting to adjust his game and have some success now.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It was pointed out on Dan Russell's show last night that a "visibly defeated" Jordan Schroeder was given a pep-talk by Pelletier on the bench at one point during the Bruins game.

I didn't see it on the broadcast, but there you go.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It was pointed out on Dan Russell's show last night that a "visibly defeated" Jordan Schroeder was given a pep-talk by Pelletier on the bench at one point during the Bruins game.

I didn't see it on the broadcast, but there you go.

Yeah. I know what he was referring to. Schroeder looked like he was down on himself for not burying a chance and picking up a rebound shot when it came back to him and you can see Pelletier say something that left Schroeder grinning a little

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
u sure it wasnt D Sedin? :sarcasm:

No, it couldn't possibly have been Pelletier. What would he know? Of course it could have been Pascal. He is just as capable of offering a guy a foot up as anyone else. He won't stay with the big club, but he will do his best while you have him. Encouraging a younger guy is part of his job in Utica and he will do the same job in Vancouver. Nice to see.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
No, it couldn't possibly have been Pelletier. What would he know? Of course it could have been Pascal. He is just as capable of offering a guy a foot up as anyone else. He won't stay with the big club, but he will do his best while you have him. Encouraging a younger guy is part of his job in Utica and he will do the same job in Vancouver. Nice to see.

i was referring to Pellets giving it to Sedin instead of Schroeder :p:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

For a late 1st round pick, a 20G scorer is not bad. I think by now we should learn to be more patient with prospects that has shoulder injury. Look at Rodin and Schroeder and how their development got delayed because of shoulder problems.

Still hoping for Rodin to come back next season.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah. I know what he was referring to. Schroeder looked like he was down on himself for not burying a chance and picking up a rebound shot when it came back to him and you can see Pelletier say something that left Schroeder grinning a little

Pelletier has been a very good veteran leader for us in Utica and it's a credit to him that he continues to try and encourage the young guys even here in the NHL. Fully deserving of a callup and I have no problem with it. You have to reward veterans like him for their hard work.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Other than that one chance he was invisible.

The fact he was invisible isn't a bad thing, he wasn't called up to produce. He was called up to not **** up, which he did a decent job at. Whoever was getting a call-up wasn't going to get significant minutes, even if Jensen or Grenier were working their bags off (which they aren't) it doesn't benefit them whatsoever to play 4th line minutes. Jensen did nothing and was a liability against San Jose last season in Top 6 minutes, he wouldn't be getting them now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad