Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Pascal Pelletier from Utica

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't see any issue in rewarding Pelletier with a shot. He's been Utica's best offensive player for the majority of the season, Conacher has sang his praises for quite a while, and you attract good AHL talent and vets for the farm by rewarding them once in a while.

My bigger concern is who is hurt, and how long they're going to be out.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
The kid hasn't earned a shot. Why not bring up Jensen and play him with the twins? Why not emergency recall Subban? I mean, they're young so it would be a youth movement which is what Gillis said he wanted.
Grenier has made great improvements since last season and has been actually scoring goals. Giving him a game or 2 over Pelletier isn't the end of the world. Gives him a taste of the NHL as well. IMO he should have been called up. But I'll take tiranis's and your word that he isn't even worthy of a call up

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
"Need to get younger" ********. Grenier still doesnt get a chance. All we do is call up ahl lifers. Classic Canucks

Grenier is younger, but not better. Until he gives you a game of more than 2 or 3 full shifts, you don't want him on Vancouver ice. With Tortorella's history of working with young guys, one game of Grenier's current style would doom him to the minors for life.

Look at his treatment of guys like Kreider and Boyle in N.Y. just to mention two of many. They are key cogs for the Rangers now. Torts was constantly benching, scratching or demoting them and other Grenier type players for their lack of 100% output. I think this would be an oil and water mix at this stage in Grenier's career.

I hope I'm wrong because he would logically be the next call-up.

Your comment also screams to my current theme running through various Vancouver threads. The larder in Utica hasn't got much to help the parent club. Pitt replaced 14 different starters throughout the season (as many as 7 at one time) and kept on a major winning streak. Why? Because their farm system is burgeoning with young talent (a thought not to cause much happiness throughout the rest of the NHL). Vancouver's injury woes have been filled in with guys normally scratched or Comets call-ups. That has not worked so well. The Canucks are spinning out and with the number of teams clustered in the lower mix, the playoff picture may become dim very soon.

Don't all hit me at once, but the Canucks are not serious contenders even without the injuries. Other teams continue to infuse great youthful talents into their lineup who make big impacts immediately. Since the finals loss, that has not occurred in Vancouver. They have added players but none who are taking them to the level they were once at. Horvat may be the first, but he's still an unproven commodity at the NHL level.

The Canucks management needs to fill up the minor system with a lot more developing talent than currently is on the way in from college and Jrs. What they have now won't be ready for several years and they have little expendable youth of value to trade for what they need. The future is closer than most posters here want to accept. Those Jrs, and college guys are not ready to step in and take on major roles at the NHL or even the AHL level at this time. TOP 6 forward replacements and top 4 D-men replacements that take over and play as well or better than the finals team did five years from now. Current good franchises are preparing for their future in house while working to win every day now as well.

I guess my concern for taking excellent care of the future is not as important as the present for most fans. The problem is that the present is not all that bright either. OUCH! OUCH! Stop hitting me. OW! No more.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The kid hasn't earned a shot. Why not bring up Jensen and play him with the twins? Why not emergency recall Subban? I mean, they're young so it would be a youth movement which is what Gillis said he wanted.

Jensen isn't even playing as well as Grenier. I'd easily place him lower in the pecking order.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Grenier is younger, but not better. Until he gives you a game of more than 2 or 3 full shifts, you don't want him on Vancouver ice. With Tortorella's history of working with young guys, one game of Grenier's current style would doom him to the minors for life.

Look at his treatment of guys like Kreider and Boyle in N.Y. just to mention two of many. They are key cogs for the Rangers now. Torts was constantly benching, scratching or demoting them and other Grenier type players for their lack of 100% output. I think this would be an oil and water mix at this stage in Grenier's career.

Completely off-base on Torts' treatment of Rangers' prospects. Not to mention the number of players he developed for them who are now playing worse under AV and in some cases even getting traded for marginal return.

Kreider was **** in the AHL last season so I don't see how that's Torts' doing. Brian Boyle posted his best statistical seasons under Tortorella.

Meanwhile Derek Stepan has 9 less points in 8 more games than he did last season under Tortorella. MDZ got traded for a miserable return after putting up 20 point pace after 3 seasons of 35+ point pace under Tortorella.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
ive yet to be convinced on any account by anybody that any coach is even slightly better or worse at developing young players. sometimes they do well, sometimes they dont

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I had no idea Grenier was such a monster 6'5" , hope he continues to develop and earn a call up or maybe even make the roster next year.

What is Pelletier's skill-set he's been a pretty consistent point producer in every league but the NHL.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I know a lot of people want to see Grenier called up because he has put up decent offensive numbers in Utica this season. Let me just add a recent observation.

Now first of all Travis Green gets his share of criticism for showing no emotion and basically being a card board cut out in a suit on the bench. Late in the last Utica game against Rockford Green called over all of the skaters on the ice to draw up a play on the whiteboard before the next faceoff. (Now this mind you is extremely rare for Green) The next whistle maybe 15 - 20 seconds later Green calls just Grenier back to the bench and starts screaming at him and throws the whiteboard down on the floor of the bench.

I couldn't believe my eyes because it is so out of character for Green. If Grenier can piss of Green that much Torts would probably get arrested for murder if he had to coach him!!!!!

Yes, Grenier can score goals but he has played most of the year with Pascal Pelletier as his center setting him up. Pelletier is much more of a complete player.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Sounds like he's been best player on Utica so far so good for him. Also speaks to how thin our prospect pool is right now.

All the player everyone is excited about are too young to make an impact right now....

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Pitt replaced 14 different starters throughout the season (as many as 7 at one time) and kept on a major winning streak. Why? Because their farm system is burgeoning with young talent (a thought not to cause much happiness throughout the rest of the NHL).

The Penguins have called up lots of AHL veterans. Zack Sill, Pierre-Luc Leblond, Nick Drazenovic, Harry Zolnierczyk, Andrew Ebbett, and Chris Conner are all over 25.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I hope Pascal can handle the...

6.jpg

Pressure.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

With all the crap floating around this team, nice to have a laugh occasionally. :handclap:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That wasn't the point.

If Grenier doesn't deserve a shot, how does Jensen deserve it more when he isn't even playing as well as Grenier. Jensen has been playing for Jensen and has acted as if he has no intention of contributing to a team game. Thus, I think it was the point.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If Grenier doesn't deserve a shot, how does Jensen deserve it more when he isn't even playing as well as Grenier. Jensen has been playing for Jensen and has acted as if he has no intention of contributing to a team game. Thus, I think it was the point.

I don't think Grenier deserves a shot and the reasoning that he's a Canucks prospect and young so he should get called up is what I was disagreeing with. If being young and being a prospect means you should play, then why not just call them all up?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Completely off-base on Torts' treatment of Rangers' prospects. Not to mention the number of players he developed for them who are now playing worse under AV and in some cases even getting traded for marginal return.

Kreider was **** in the AHL last season so I don't see how that's Torts' doing. Brian Boyle posted his best statistical seasons under Tortorella.

Meanwhile Derek Stepan has 9 less points in 8 more games than he did last season under Tortorella. MDZ got traded for a miserable return after putting up 20 point pace after 3 seasons of 35+ point pace under Tortorella.

The ones playing better are the ones he dissed. The ones playing worse are the ones who played his hard nosed, crash and bang, drive the net offensively and get get in the lanes and give up your body to block shots.

Demoted: Kreider was in the AHL because that's where Torts put him.
Scratched or benched: Boyle spent more shifts on the bench in Torts' dog house than he spent on the ice.

Traded : Gabs because he floated around and didn't dig corners, and didn't like blocking shots.

Grenier fits the mold of those who played the style Torts doesn't like.

I watch almost every Ranger game and I saw all of this stuff over the past few seasons. He likes a certain kind of guy and he coaches a certain kind of way. He will work management to trade guys who don't do it his way for guys who will. If the Canucks continue on the path they're on look for these changes to start taking place.

Back to the subject, Grenier is not Torts' type of guy. He likes the Lain, Archibald type of guy. They are polar opposites based on their Utica play. When they are both at work in Utica, Grenier feeds off of their work.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I had no idea Grenier was such a monster 6'5" , hope he continues to develop and earn a call up or maybe even make the roster next year.

What is Pelletier's skill-set he's been a pretty consistent point producer in every league but the NHL.

If he only played to his physical stature.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I know a lot of people want to see Grenier called up because he has put up decent offensive numbers in Utica this season. Let me just add a recent observation.

Now first of all Travis Green gets his share of criticism for showing no emotion and basically being a card board cut out in a suit on the bench. Late in the last Utica game against Rockford Green called over all of the skaters on the ice to draw up a play on the whiteboard before the next faceoff. (Now this mind you is extremely rare for Green) The next whistle maybe 15 - 20 seconds later Green calls just Grenier back to the bench and starts screaming at him and throws the whiteboard down on the floor of the bench.

I couldn't believe my eyes because it is so out of character for Green. If Grenier can piss of Green that much Torts would probably get arrested for murder if he had to coach him!!!!!

Yes, Grenier can score goals but he has played most of the year with Pascal Pelletier as his center setting him up. Pelletier is much more of a complete player.

Check comment #46 for my concurrence while responding to another poster.

As to Green, was that not one of the most amazing things you've seen in your life? Green is a Jeckyl/Hyde; cardboard cutout for ages, then a raving lunatic for a flash and then back to Mr. Cardboard.

Pascal evaluation pat on.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Penguins have called up lots of AHL veterans. Zack Sill, Pierre-Luc Leblond, Nick Drazenovic, Harry Zolnierczyk, Andrew Ebbett, and Chris Conner are all over 25.

And your point is? That's what I'm trying to say. They built up ample replacements through the system and Vancouver has not. All I've tried to say is that Vancouver needs to do that for their future as well. They have the opportunity if they get started now and add to the few good prospects coming up. They will seriously be needed when they are about 25 or 26. What you just brilliantly illustrated.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

yeah many people only see the numbers and think those are good for call up....but they dont know whats going on behind it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad