Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Yann Sauve from Utica

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
I'm no Sauve fan or defender, and I certainly don't understand the call up, but this is a huge exaggeration.

The minutes he played during the short call up were low event. I've seen worse stints by a number of Canucks D over the years.

What are you talking about? MS doesnt ever exaggerate! All MS's points are always low key and subtle.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Kevin Bieksa has had two good games, trade him while his value is up. Then, you add Booth to the package. Teams impressed with Stanton, but lacks any fight on D. Sauve does have some toughness, so see if he can be the guy who can clear the front of the net time to time, preventing Luongo to get crashed.

Tim Thomas just got injured, Florida needs a backup, who better than acquire Markstrom's former teammate Erikkson to have them push each other? Plus, Joe Cannata has looked real good. Let him start in Utica.

Bieksa, Booth, and Erikkson for one of Kulikov/Matthias, and a package of cap space. Maybe including Ed Jovanovski or struggling forwards Scott Upshall and/or Tomas Kopecky. (most likely, all forwards coming back rather than any d at all)" This way, you gain one high potential young player while take on someone else cap problems by sending them a bit of ours.

but yeah, most likely it's nothing but i figure i wanted to play the game of random speculate. You move one of the top 4 guys with NTC, and suddenly that 6th spot isn't as clear as it seems. Organization would prefer to play Corrado 20+ mins in Utica than 5 in the NHL. That really would leave Alberts, Weber, and Sauve for the 6th spot, which could be frightening.

Torts probably imagines that the team lacks fiestyness. Could use a skilled agitator somewhere in the lineup like a Upshall. Besides, you need at least 3 lines to compete. Team only has 1 and a half. The 3rd line is more like a 4th line. The 4th line should be the 4th line in Utica.

Last edited:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I guess I'll be the one to congratulate the man. Hopefully this can spark him up and help him realize that he's got the tools to be a successful NHL player. That car accident was one of the worst things to happen to him and I'm still crossing my fingers he can recover.

On a side note, you could get lost in this guys eyes... Pyatt V2

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Kevin Bieksa has had two good games, trade him while his value is up. Then, you add Booth to the package. Teams impressed with Stanton, but lacks any fight on D. Sauve does have some toughness, so see if he can be the guy who can clear the front of the net time to time, preventing Luongo to get crashed.

Tim Thomas just got injured, Florida needs a backup, who better than acquire Markstrom's former teammate Erikkson to have them push each other? Plus, Joe Cannata has looked real good. Let him start in Utica.

Bieksa, Booth, and Erikkson for one of Kulikov/Matthias, and a package of cap space. Maybe including Ed Jovanovski or struggling forwards Scott Upshall and/or Tomas Kopecky. (most likely, all forwards coming back rather than any d at all)" This way, you gain one high potential young player while take on someone else cap problems by sending them a bit of ours.

but yeah, most likely it's nothing but i figure i wanted to play the game of random speculate. You move one of the top 4 guys with NTC, and suddenly that 6th spot isn't as clear as it seems. Organization would prefer to play Corrado 20+ mins in Utica than 5 in the NHL. That really would leave Alberts, Weber, and Sauve for the 6th spot, which could be frightening.

That escalated quickly

Nov 1, 2011
This isn't Sauve's 1st call-up...

Given the limited chances of success of a 2nd round draft pick, if he sees game time is the draft pick technically a success?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
i totally understand having no confidence in alberts, and on some level i also understand that gillis doesn't want to give up on a second round pick (even though it's clear at this point he should)

the part i don't get is why they've already fallen out of favour with weber, a guy they just signed in the offseason...i'm willing to give gillis a mulligan on that one considering the other great bargain basement signings he made in the summer, in addition to the waiver acquisition of stanton

pretty crazy how one game (ie that brutal san jose preseason game where the weber-alberts pairing played infamously horrid) could torpedo the careers of two fringe nhl players

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I don't understand. This doesn't make sense on so many levels that it's just... incomprehensible.

1. We don't need a D
2. Even if we did need a D, there's no way in hell that Sauve is above Corrado on the depth chart.
3. Clearly, they have no intention of playing Sauve, which is the only reason he would be called up allowing Corrado to continue logging big minutes in the AHL.

So why the heck is he being called up?

Flabbergasted is the word of the day.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
They're going to see how Sauve does first before waiving/trading Alberts. If he's somewhat decent, Alberts will be packing his bags.

That might be the case, but I thought we were going to have to waive Alberts anyway once all the injured forwards are back. Do they plan on keeping him with the big club even after that, I wonder?

The only reason he is here is because Gilly wants to justify the pick. If he was nonuts pick, he'd be playing for UBC by now.

A pick from 5 years ago though? That's a bit of a reach...

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Both Gillis and Gilman ( I believe Henning as well) were in Utica llast night for the Comet's home opener. They must have liked what they saw from Sauve.

I actually thought he had the best game of all the D-Men last night as he skated and moved the puck very well. Corrado scored the Comets only goal on a slapshot from the point on a PP. Overall I thought Sauve was more noticeable than Corrado. If they are calling Sauve up to play less than 5 minutes a game then it makes more sense to keep Corrado in Utica where he will see 20 minutes a game. He is only 20 years old playing in his first full pro season.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The only reason he is here is because Gilly wants to justify the pick. If he was nonuts pick, he'd be playing for UBC by now.

Gillis relied mostly on the advice of Nonis amateur scouts in that draft year given the short time he was on the job at the time.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Yeah hard to make sense of this one, maybe something will happen and it will make sense, but right now it's pretty strange. I understand that there's not a lot of forwards to call up, but never been a big Yan Sauve fan. Could be a reward and he's not expected to play anyway, but he's already had a callup so who knows.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah hard to make sense of this one, maybe something will happen and it will make sense, but right now it's pretty strange. I understand that there's not a lot of forwards to call up, but never been a big Yan Sauve fan. Could be a reward and he's not expected to play anyway, but he's already had a callup so who knows.

Well...he was also a late cut too, wasn't he? Maybe Torts likes him?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I wonder if they are just trying to get a look at the defensemen they have on the farm, ie. if we waive Alberts who is going to slide up on the depth chart if/when necessary?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
On a side note, you could get lost in this guys eyes... Pyatt V2

Nobody beats the Whiz.

20090115_wizard_190x190.jpg

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
My only thought is that for some reason, someone in the organization thinks he could play at this level, and they want to find out. Or maybe Tortorella wants to do some experiment to prove if there is anyone less useful than Andrew Alberts.

Or maybe Sauve needs a bit of money and they're doing him a favour. Maybe he's in deep with some real serious characters from his days in Chicago, the kind of guys that don't forget, the kind of guys that send people to talk to you and make sure you know what's what, the kind of guys that won't take no for an answer. Maybe Yann Sauve isn'th is name at all. Maybe it's John Suave, and they've taken something from him, and he needs some quick money to assemble a team to go and get it back.

They're both equally plausible, in that the correct reaction to either is WHAT THE $*&#???!? (add as many interrobangs as necessary)

Edit: correct thread title should be "What the $*&# is going Yann here?"

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
One thing I really don't like about Sauve's game is that he doesn't play well in traffic...

Too soon? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad