Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Alex Biega from Utica

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Well deserved call up.

My guess is Sanguinetti gets the next one.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Biega earned this call-up with his solid play last year and this year. He should be ahead of Corrado on the depth chart anyways (along with a few others, if no one was hurt, i would probably put Corrado 5th in Utica's depth chart right now).

That's about right. 4th or 5th when Huskins is healthy.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Good call-up, don't know much about his play as of late, but at big camp he always looks like a hard worker.

Comets best defenseman last year and this year, a true leader. As Bad Goalie mentioned, he is small but his heart is huge.

Big if I know if he plays, hope he gets a chance.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
His level of play is no different than a Kevin Bieksa who has been given a chance to play the big leagues.... we are in trouble.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Oh he is a plug.

Well then send him back. You don't need him. Keep playing the guys playing so well for you now. If he doesn't get on the ice, no discussion matters. If he plays, an evaluation can be made. Labeling someone a plug sight unseen is not the most intelligent stance to take.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Not to be a dink but the definition of a plug would be a guy you put in the lineup if injuries mean you have to. But not good enough for regular NHL time... so he will be used like that... The same as weber when we are fully healthy

Plug as in plug the gap... Noone has called him a pylon

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not to be a dink but the definition of a plug would be a guy you put in the lineup if injuries mean you have to. But not good enough for regular NHL time... so he will be used like that... The same as weber when we are fully healthy

Plug as in plug the gap... Noone has called him a pylon

It also relates to a horse ready for the glue factory. An old plug who can't work, can't run, is worthless. Depends on what definition you are using.

No dink reference on either side. Different definitions result in different impressions. All a o.k. here. If he ever gets a chance to be "plugged in", I hope you get to see the same hard working, highly effective D-man he has been for Utica for the length of their existence. He was their best D-man last year and this year with a big upgrade in the D-corps he is still probably the best Defensive D-man.

On the other hand I hope management decides he isn't needed and send him back. Salo sounds like a good idea to me.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It also relates to a horse ready for the glue factory. An old plug who can't work, can't run, is worthless. Depends on what definition you are using.

No dink reference on either side. Different definitions result in different impressions. All a o.k. here. If he ever gets a chance to be "plugged in", I hope you get to see the same hard working, highly effective D-man he has been for Utica for the length of their existence. He was their best D-man last year and this year with a big upgrade in the D-corps he is still probably the best Defensive D-man.

On the other hand I hope management decides he isn't needed and send him back. Salo sounds like a good idea to me.

Well if that is what is meant by plug then your previous post is 100% correct...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Well deserved call up.

My guess is Sanguinetti gets the next one.

If we need an offensive D, he would likely get called up before Biega but otherwise i agree he'll be next. He's really lighting it up recently. Wouldn't mind giving him a game or 2 to see if his AHL hot streak carries over.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If we need an offensive D, he would likely get called up before Biega but otherwise i agree he'll be next. He's really lighting it up recently. Wouldn't mind giving him a game or 2 to see if his AHL hot streak carries over.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Many in the fan base want Biega to play. The Comets fan base feels the same way. If they bring a player up, at some point give him a shot. They will never know if the guy can cut it, if they never play him. Thus far Corrado has been recalled twice. Sanguinetti was there once and now Biega.The total time played by all three is 0 games.

I guess letting a guy get a look at what it's like might give him the incentive to work harder back in the AHL. That holds some merit for Frankie. He's 21. Biega and Sanguinetti are both 26. They have worked all their life to get to the NHL and they don't have a lot of time left to prove anything to anybody. They don't need to go "OOO ooo, wow. I'm in Vancouver!" They would really like one break to see what they can do with it.

Vancouver management seems to only want emergency backup from these guys and has no intention of playing them as long as 6 of the Vancouver 7 are able to go. That's the breaks. Seems like a waste though.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Baffling to me Biega hasn't ever played an NHL game given what he's shown in AHL. Probably related to his height.

Likely, but we've heard very good things about his play in Utica over the past 2 seasons. Hopefully they give him a shot and see what we actually have here...

yoss

May 25, 2011
The way you Utica guys are hyping him I hope he gets into the lineup. Hard worker who plays with a lot of heart? Sounds good to me. How much worse can our defense really get?

The way I see it never hurts to try something new if the guys we have now aren't getting the job done.

The fact that Corrado never got a look however makes me less optimistic that he'll play, my only hope is the Rangers game was a last straw kind of scenario.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Sent back down

Hamhuis returning early? Trading for a d-man (when trade freeze is over)? Calling someone else up?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sent back down

Hamhuis returning early? Trading for a d-man (when trade freeze is over)? Calling someone else up?

Same questions asked in Utica last night. Henrik Tommernes and Travis Ehrhardt both scratched-------and NEGRIN played!!!

Biega played and was excellent.

Pedan won a monster fight big at the 3 second mark of the first period. First time we've seen him go. Deduction is it would be a bad idea to take on this guy.

Corrado had a goal and an assist in a 2 -1 victory over the Adirondack Flames (Abbotsford last season) for the 5th time in 5 contests. Played well in his own end as well while saddled with Negrin who, to be honest, wasn't exactly terrible.

Sanguinetti and Lafranchise played a very solid 2-way game with Sanguinetti making several rushes and firing several good shots on net. He is always a threat to go as well as finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad