Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Akito Hirose

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Also don't think the call-up is going to play much? Unless there's multiple injuries on the blueline and I missed Friedman or Juulsen getting hurt in addition to Soucy.

Wolanin's contract is one-way, and Hirose is two-way, so it could be the organization getting one guy a bit of a pay-bump while he rides the bench. Little things like this get noticed by college free agents when they're signing and is something that used to be more regular under the Gillis regime, but it's been a minute.

Wolanin tweaking something also makes sense.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Also don't think the call-up is going to play much? Unless there's multiple injuries on the blueline and I missed Friedman or Juulsen getting hurt in addition to Soucy.

Wolanin's contract is one-way, and Hirose is two-way, so it could be the organization getting one guy a bit of a pay-bump while he rides the bench. Little things like this get noticed by college free agents when they're signing and is something that used to be more regular under the Gillis regime, but it's been a minute.

Wolanin tweaking something also makes sense.

Except I don't see them playing Juulsen or Friedman on their offside, so Hirose will play.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
If Tocchet said it was a 50/50 decision between Hirose and Wolanin there's no guarantee that the "tweak" changed the decision. Maybe they like Hirose better as a zookeeper, as another poster mentioned.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like Wolanin as a call-up if someone like Hronek or Hughes get hurt, to manage more offensive minutes and backfill in on PP2, where he can be put to good use and position to be successful.
With a depth injury, Hirose is definitely the right call.
Wolanin for 11 minutes eating garbage minutes isn't going to do anyone any favours.
Wolanin doesn't want his seasons stats to be 9GP 0G 1A -4 11:05min/game, whereas Hirose's career can probably survive a few of those.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Tough break for Wolanin, never a good time to tweak something but missing a call up opportunity because of it is extra hard for guys his age.

Whoever is called up will likely have to be paired with Myers. Maybe the coaching staff saw that Hirose was able to do it adequately enough last season, and decided to give him the first crack this season? This coaching team seems pretty competent and logical, so I'll trust their judgement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad