Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Akito Hirose

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I haven't seen the last 2 games yet but his first 9 were really disappointing and this is a very strange recall when you have Wolanin playing at a much, much higher level and the obviously better option to put in the lineup.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He has been very average at the AHL level while Wolanin has been a clear standout. I don’t really understand the Wolanin treatment and Hirose obsession based on their play so far.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
As I mentioned in the other thread, one explanation is that this is just precautionary in case Soucy can't go tomorrow.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
He has been very average at the AHL level while Wolanin has been a clear standout. I don’t really understand the Wolanin treatment and Hirose obsession based on their play so far.
Wolanin is 28 and has passed through waiver 4 times.

He’s simply an ahl star that can’t translate his game to the nhl

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
This post is nonsense. He played like a solid NHL bottom pairing D in the 16 games he played last year.

It's one thing to be a fill-in for a handful of games and another to track that consistently over the course of a season.

Not hating on the guy, every team needs tweener players to fill in as needed.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's one thing to be a fill-in for a handful of games and another to track that consistently over the course of a season.

Not hating on the guy, every team needs tweener players to fill in as needed.
He’s been ripping up the AHL for the last few seasons and has played well when called up. What else does he have to do to get a chance?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
He’s been ripping up the AHL for the last few seasons and has played well when called up. What else does he have to do to get a chance?

Not saying he's undeserving. But there might be other factors in play (see Ernie's post.)

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Odds are whichever player is called up doesn't play so they probably figured it would be nice to get Hirose some practice time with the main club. If he has to play then we at least know he doesn't hurt us in limited ice-time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wolanin's play translated just fine when he was called up last year, and it translated just fine for Ottawa before his career was derailed for 3 years by shoulder reconstructions.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It must be a Rick Tochett preference, rather than management / AHL coaching.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Wolanin's play translated just fine when he was called up last year, and it translated just fine for Ottawa before his career was derailed for 3 years by shoulder reconstructions.
Eh. I feel this management group wants to give Hirose more of an opportunity for two reasons. One, he's a shiny new prospect. Two, it shows other prospective undrafted college players we are willing to give them a shot if they sign here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Eh. I feel this management group wants to give Hirose more of an opportunity for two reasons. One, he's a shiny new prospect. Two, it shows other prospective undrafted college players we are willing to give them a shot if they sign here.

That's all well and good if two players are pretty close, but the gap between these guys in the AHL right now is *massive* and this is a team trying to win games and bank points.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
FWIW Tocchet played Wolanin in a heavily sheltered role last season, at least in terms of zone starts. He may not be favoured by the coach. Hirose played a less sheltered role, and played mostly with Myers.

At this point it's clear that Tocchet is going to deploy the defence as he sees fit so you might as well give him what he wants. Certainly some of the decisions that have been made on the back end are somewhat puzzling.

Reactions: BrendanGaunce4Selke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad