Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-sign Justin Bailey (1 year - 2 way contract)

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bailey is a replacement-level player that doesn't do anything special at the NHL level. There's a reason why he has 5 goals and 72 career NHL games over 7 seasons.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think he's okay, I like his speed/size on the forecheck, rest of his game is meh but good on the forecheck and meh everywhere else is fine for a 4th line player, especially a cheap one. I know the Canucks don't forecheck hard, but I would like to see the havoc he and Motte could cause together. Would be nice having an actually fast 4th line for once.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Bailey is a replacement-level player that doesn't do anything special at the NHL level. There's a reason why he has 5 goals and 72 career NHL games over 7 seasons.

He's not a fast skater at the NHL level?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The hell are some of you dummies talking about? Bailey not fast? He’s one of the fastest skaters on the team. Pushes the play forward and actually uses his size to separate the opposition from the puck. At minimum wage he’s absolutely perfect and generates lots of positive value. With a competent 4th line, I could see him getting 5-7 goals and 10ish assists. That’s excellent production. Ideally he can keep it up and stay healthy for a few more seasons before age regression kicks in.

As in, one poster.

Reactions: mathonwy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Bailey could ever chip in 5-7 goals and become an above average penalty-killer, there's room for him on most NHL teams---particularly because he's earning close to the league minimum.

Given some of the ugly contracts the Canucks have been forced to swallow for replacement level third and fourth line players over the years, players like Bailey, Dowling, Lammikko and Highmore would seem to indicate that the Canucks are finally figuring it out with depth players.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
good injury replacement player. But if the team is ever 100% health i dont think he see the ice

Reactions: elitepete

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Who, other than Bertuzzzi44?

"Small sample size but no he sucks." - FAN

"Bailey is a replacement-level player that doesn't do anything special at the NHL level." - Norade

I disagree with both and feel with consistency will be a very good 4th liner for a few years. I wasn't only referencing the weird speed thing with my first question.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's not a fast skater at the NHL level?
Sure, but skating fast doesn't get much done unless you have other skills that complement that skating. If you can't take a pass in stride or carry the puck at those speeds skating fast looks like it's doing more than it actually gets done. His entire package just doesn't add up to anything that makes him an NHLer, even a 4th liner.

Give me players like Lapierre, Malhotra, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Martin who actually bring tangible skills to the ice. Not just filler that can skate fast and maybe defend okay on a good night.

Reactions: F A N

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sure, but skating fast doesn't get much done unless you have other skills that complement that skating. If you can't take a pass in stride or carry the puck at those speeds skating fast looks like it's doing more than it actually gets done. His entire package just doesn't add up to anything that makes him an NHLer, even a 4th liner.

Give me players like Lapierre, Malhotra, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Martin who actually bring tangible skills to the ice. Not just filler that can skate fast and maybe defend okay on a good night.

Obviously, skating alone doesn't make an NHLer. You said he doesn't do "anything special" at the NHL level. His skating is special at the NHL level.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He looks really good so far. Glad he's picked up enough defensive awareness to be a PKer. Past positioning, decisions with the puck and a lack of offensive hockey IQ put him in a spot where he had to figure out a role, Seems like he's well on his way now and with his athleticism if he can continue to stay confident and expand his game he could be a really good player for our btm 6 and even for sparking a top6 line from time to time. Nice to see

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Obviously, skating alone doesn't make an NHLer. You said he doesn't do "anything special" at the NHL level. His skating is special at the NHL level.
Does he do anything special with it? If he doesn't his skating isn't special. There are plenty of hustle and skate guys that do nothing in the show and he's basically one of them.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bailey from last year? I thought he was good and drove play. Last year he looked fast. Bailey from this year sucks and looks reactionary. He has great straight ahead speed, no question, but he looked slow in his stop and goes and in his turns. In his short time playing with Petey I saw him slowly carry the puck past the blueline with time and space and dumped the puck in. Petey was right beside him. I think he did that 2-3 times. Ended up just giving up possession. I don't see him using his speed and size to drive to the net or forechecking hard. Like I said, when he was on the PK and there was a loose puck in front of him he went after it. So it looked like he worked hard.

Again, small sample size, but analytically he is worse among forwards on the team 5 v 5. The only stat looks respectable is his high danger chances %. He has 2 shots in 4 games. Last year he had 6 in 3 while averaging less ice time last season. He really hasn't been good. I wish we had Gadjovich instead.

If Bailey could ever chip in 5-7 goals and become an above average penalty-killer, there's room for him on most NHL teams---particularly because he's earning close to the league minimum.

That's such a low bar for a guy that isn't the most skilled, physical, or good defensively. Justin Dowling can achieve that over 82 games.

I agree. Some posters here point to the fact that he makes $750K but you know what? Chiasson, Petan, Lammikko, Dowling, Dries, and Di Giuseppe make $750K. Highmore makes $725K. Motte and Sutter make more and they are far superior players when healthy.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I haven’t had an issue with Bailey thus far, but he has been mildly disappointing compared to last year. However if we had more speed on our fourth line I think it would help his game.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Does he do anything special with it? If he doesn't his skating isn't special. There are plenty of hustle and skate guys that do nothing in the show and he's basically one of them.

A guy could have a very good shot , or a great outlet pass, or be really physical, or be a great stickhandler, or have a very high hockey IQ, and not be an NHLer. But those would still be special skills. They just wouldn't be enough, because they didn't go along with enough other skills. If Bailey doesn't make it, it will be because he doesn't have enough other skills to go along with elite skating. His skating is special. If he doesn't do anything with it, it's because he lacks something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad