Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s pretty simple really. Green like Benning is stuck in the past. They remember players for what they did in junior or several years prior.

They don’t even consider that a 26 year old player that has been unable to be a full time NHL roster player with miserable numbers is perhaps not an NHL player. They see 120 point junior player.

Or the 31 year old player with over 500 NHL games who has poor stats the last couple of seasons is perhaps a guy who is done. Instead they see 20 goal scoring Chiasson (who needed copious PP time and time alongside McDavid to get there).

This has been the case since one of Benning’s first major moves of getting Sutter and signing him to a big deal. He didn’t see the bottom 6 center with limited offense he was but rather the 20 goal 40 point sophomore player he wanted to draft a few years earlier.

Rinse and Repeat.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Twice.

Harry Neale 79-85 with a sub-500 overall record. Went into broadcasting shortly after.
/coaching career.
While his overall record was under .500, he was over .500 (back when being over .500 meant something; ie., no shootout) in the 81-82 season. And that team did go to the Finals that season (granted under Captain Video while he was suspended).

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I still have no idea what we were doing in the preseason. It was the most disorganized mess of a preseason I've ever seen here, and I've seen a lot of them. No real attempt to give young players a big look, no real attempt to get lines set early and generate chemistry ahead of the season ... just a lot of icetime for bad fringe players who are now quickly off the roster or in the pressbox.

To me it looked like they were using preseason to give replacements for Sutter, Motte, and Boeser a look. Green had Chiasson penciled in for Boeser on pp1, and didn't want a young player in his bottom 6 so no young players were given an opportunity other than players that were telegraphed to make the team like Pod and Rathbone. But yeah, the icetime allotment was weird, and not giving more time to build chemistry was definitely a mistake.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
As bad as the right side of the defense and bottom line players Benning has assembled, hire any competent coach with a sound defensive structure and this team will be in the playoffs. Problem is, Benning isn't going to last through another coaching change, I think both will get fired at the same time when it happens which will be at the end of this season. I laugh at half of the fans on this board, pumping Green's tires and what a great coach he is and panicking as to why he wasn't given an extension. Green is an awful AHL quality coach who has no system whatsoever.

Reactions: CherryToke

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To me it looked like they were using preseason to give replacements for Sutter, Motte, and Boeser a look. Green had Chiasson penciled in for Boeser on pp1, and didn't want a young player in his bottom 6 so no young players were given an opportunity other than players that were telegraphed to make the team like Pod and Rathbone. But yeah, the icetime allotment was weird, and not giving more time to build chemistry was definitely a mistake.

I agree that they were auditioning Di Giuseppe and Dowling for those spots but Petan and Chiasson were played like they were established NHL stars. It was weird.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I agree that they were auditioning Di Giuseppe and Dowling for those spots but Petan and Chiasson were played like they were established NHL stars. It was weird.
What’s also weird (well, more stupid than weird) is thinking you can “sneak” players through waivers. Like, oh we’ll just send this guy down and nobody will notice. Maybe one of the dumbest sayings I’ve ever heard.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Even CDC is souring on Green, a lot of people there have lost faith in Green as well. You would think he gets fired soon.

Reactions: LordBacon

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Travis Green Favorite Quotes:

"They Have a good team over there"
"I thought our guys battled hard, just didn't get the bounces tonight"
"Thought our guys played a solid game"

cropped_GettyImages-180965866.jpg

Coach of the year boys, the best in the league, just an outstanding coach to lead this team.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
I laugh at half of the fans on this board, pumping Green's tires and what a great coach he is and panicking as to why he wasn't given an extension

Wasn't it DeBrusk on our Sat Philly game who suggested Green is quality NHL coach with many teams lined up to hire him prior to extension?

May have been mentioned previously but to your point CBC doing some tire pumping too.

Sad part is he may very well have had teams calling....Willie D found another coaching gig too and was even worse.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Even CDC is souring on Green, a lot of people there have lost faith in Green as well. You would think he gets fired soon.
It would be a hell of a chant if the Canucks don’t play well, first regular season home game with a crowd in quiet some time.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

It’s shocking to me that these “experienced NHL guys” needed a NHL camp to find out they weren’t replacements for those mentioned.

No one else did.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Travis Green, zero coaching ability. Has a highly publicized bag skate every year so the media can buy into some narrative that he demands fitness.

Oh and “move puck, move feet”

Cutting edge stuff there Travis

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Years ago people were complaining about AV and Gillis nonstop to get them fired. There was one individual who said be careful of what you wish for…

Reactions: likash

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Travis Green, zero coaching ability. Has a highly publicized bag skate every year so the media can buy into some narrative that he demands fitness.

Oh and “move puck, move feet”

Cutting edge stuff there Travis

Don't forget the elite skill of shot blocking...who cares about scoring chances for/against when Green can assess who is willing to take a clapper for the team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
As much as Green is terrible I feel annoyed at the last few Benning supporters who are now throwing shade at Green as the scapegoat. Afterall Green was hired by Benning and has a lineup made up by Benning

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
As much as Green is terrible I feel annoyed at the last few Benning supporters who are now throwing shade at Green as the scapegoat. Afterall Green was hired by Benning and has a lineup made up by Benning

To be fair, this team would be much better with a real coach, Benning aside.

Green has been bad for years. 5 years of this useless AHL coach with sub 0.500 winning record. When will it end

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Green is the new scapegoat but he is not a good coach. Even Willie D had a system. Both are stuborn as hell and refuse to adapt.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

So you are annoyed that Benning supporters are supporting Benning and not Green? o_O

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I feel like Green and Benning are on the same wavelength. Green is an extension of Bennings thinking. Both believe that you need to have veteran mentors in the bottom six. Guys like Chiasson know how to win games, etc.
I don’t think it’s realistic to separate the two. Both will be fired together IMO.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can guarantee Benning and Green send each other scouting reports about the league leaders in blocked shots and hits just drooling over said player wishing they had him on the roster.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
The Detroit Red Wings.

I mean, I'm just answering your question literally, but still.
Ahhh will give you that one however Detroit is not a team that has paid anywhere near the cap and frankly has zero roster expectation to make the playoffs so frankly Blashill if sitting in during a rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00