Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign HC Travis Green to multi-year extension.

Why do Green and his staff not have an extension?

• Total voters

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
High pressure market lol

You can fail for years here and your job isn’t even questioned.

It’s got a loud fan base on the internet. I don’t think the coaches care one iota about that.

I guess maybe there’s more media demands but the media here pitches beach balls and hero worships ineptitude and rebuilt defences and model rebuilds.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Wait, what? Green lives in ANAHEIM? Isn't he from B.C.? And $2million a year? Are you kidding me? He should be sent packing...

I haven't listened to it. Green wants 2 million a year? Or already makes 2 million a year? In either instance, what a joke....

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
On the night the Nucks are officially eliminated from the playoffs, iMac and Rusty are busy pumpin Greener's tires.

Amazing they don't even attempt to provide a balanced discussion of why Green, based on the dismal performances of his team, may not be back.

Reactions: CherryToke

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On the night the Nucks are officially eliminated from the playoffs, iMac and Rusty are busy pumpin Greener's tires.

Amazing they don't even attempt to provide a balanced discussion of why Green, based on the dismal performances of his team, may not be back.

Pushing for Green is indirectly pushing for Benning.

If they re-sign Green, they won’t fire the GM a month later. If they wait, a full housecleaning is still on the table.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
My guess is Aquilini has a specific budget for a coach (<$1.5m) and Benning really wants Green to stay, but Green is riding it out to see what he can get. Also guessing that he will get more from another team and walk.

Aquilini will still try for a big name (Claude Julien being the highest priority target) with the hopes that he's willing to land a role rather than waiting out on the market like a guy like Gallant has had to.

Jimbo will waste all his time trying to recruit Julien, who will ultimately say no, and settle on the guy he tried to pitch for an assistant job; Geoff Ward. Former assistant to Julien on the 2011 Bruins, and recently fired by the Flames who are likely still paying his contract.

Benning will not be fired regardless because Aquilini will refuse to pay for two GMs.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

I have never heard Green say anything remotely significant re improving performance of the team. "Work harder" etc is not cutting edge coaching. I would actually be okay with Dallas Eakins over Green ......which won't happen but Green's dismal record does not deserve another contract.

Reactions: mossey3535 and MS

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of what you may think of Green as a coach, or Benning as a GM, one thing can be said for certain.

This regime wouldn't have survived in virtually any other NHL market you can name. I mean seven years for a GM and three years for coach, with mostly losing seasons, they'd have run out of runway years ago. That's just the reality for coaches and GM's in the NHL today.

I swear the only reason they're still around is that Aquilini is too cheap to fire them and hire replacements because he'd end up paying two GM's and two coaches.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Dhaliwal is insufferable with his marketing of Travis Green.

Donnie and Dhali just basically said keep Travis because the team "tries hard". So does Columbus. Who cares.

Coaching in the NHL should be less about the players giving effort for their coach and more about the teams structure. Players like Travis, especially veterans, because they get praised in the media, have ironclad roles on the team, and suffer no repercussions for blown "assignments" (in quotes because nobody has assignments, it's all about just go hard forward, chase hard back.....it's why the defense has to back in.....there is no structure. Of course NHL players like all out attack vs a disciplined hard to play against style.

The impact of a good coach is oh so visible by looking at the Islanders pre and post Trotz. They play hard too. They play a lot smarter though.

the weirdest part of the try hard take is that this is one of the laziest canucks teams any of us have ever seen

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Someone should actually piss in his cornflakes but he acts like someone has almost everyday.

Terrible coach and should have been binned long ago.

Reactions: kevinsane

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the weirdest part of the try hard take is that this is one of the laziest canucks teams any of us have ever seen

It really is.

For years it's been a soft, slow, lazy team that has relied on PP scoring from skilled guys and goaltending to generate results.

No defensive system, lazy forwards, little physicality. Regularly blown out.

But somehow those 'compete is in our nature!' ads have stuck in peoples' heads or something.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Gadjovich was in quarantine? I think it's reasonable that Gadjovich has only had 1 practice with the team and probably isn't ready. He should have stayed in VAN if that was the case, maybe miscommunication between GM/Coach?

It's not surprising for Green to scratch a young guy (Lind) if he hasn't played well. I sorta don't disagree with that, if it lights a fire under Lind.

Juolevi wasn't coming in for Edler clearly, they want him to reach 100 goals.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Tocchet gets fired and Arizona is much better than us in the standings. Either better than us or right with us for the last four seasons.

Do we think that Arizona has better players than us in that time?

You can't be good when you compare unfavourably to that franchise's results.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Green:

"I just need one more good player, a no-covid schedule, and we can get back to the playoffs"

Benning:

"We have a first round pick this year, and Ristolainen is available. I'll call Buffalo right now!"
Didn’t be asked for defensive no offense type of crap like Beagle despite already having Sutter?
Benning is an idiot but this coach also has the type of player he wants.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gadjovich was in quarantine? I think it's reasonable that Gadjovich has only had 1 practice with the team and probably isn't ready. He should have stayed in VAN if that was the case, maybe miscommunication between GM/Coach?

It's not surprising for Green to scratch a young guy (Lind) if he hasn't played well. I sorta don't disagree with that, if it lights a fire under Lind.

Juolevi wasn't coming in for Edler clearly, they want him to reach 100 goals.
It’s pountless planning guys who won’t be here next season ahead of our young guy we are counting on as our future. Lind, OJ, and Gads should be playing all the remaining games. It’s almost like Green is giving Benning the finger by playing the vets who won’t be back instead of the young guys Benning called up.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This intermission (WPG May 11) is a joke, Green talking about "little details in his own zone"....why is it that nobody on the team from rookies to veterans, seems to have grasped all those little details during Green's entire tenure.

We consistently give up 30+ shots, have the league low xGA, and league top high danger scoring chances against...year after year.

More likely this is his usual double standard where he picks on shit skill rookies do and ignore veterans making catastrophic mistake after catastrophic mistake.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I also doubt Green is completely divorced from special teams, do we really think Newell Brown is the one pushing for Motte on the PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad