Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Ds Frankie Corrado, Adam Clendenning to 1-Year Deals

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How nice of you to want everybody to assume the worst just to amp up the Benning hate...

It's not Benning hate. Clendening according to some was the worst of regulars in Utica during the playoffs (orcatown for one). That's not a terribly promising spot to start from going into camp to be honest.

But he likely will be given every chance.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's not Benning hate. Clendening according to some was the worst of regulars in Utica during the playoffs (orcatown for one). That's not a terribly promising spot to start from going into camp to be honest.

But he likely will be given every chance.

I doubt that Benning is going to chance losing a guy he traded for on waivers. Even if he's poor I expect him to get the Vey treatment for better or worse.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
You can't judge Clendening until he has had a full season with the organization. You know, systems and ****. Canucks fans are too quick to [mod] discard of players they haven't seen in action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Come on, he is 22 years old and a defenseman to boot. That is a position that takes a notoriously long time to master. He has potential and has been signed for that.

You come on, the only person I have disparaged in my comment was Cam Barker and myself. I'm only sorry that this flew over your head.

To spell it out for ya, the point was: draft pedigree shouldn't mean too much once you are far enough out of your draft year.

Like yes, patience is a virtue, but Luca Sbisa was the 19th overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. You don't see anyone propping him up cause of that do you?

Except for Benning. **** me.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
You come on, the only person I have disparaged in my comment was Cam Barker and myself. I'm only sorry that this flew over your head.

To spell it out for ya, the point was: draft pedigree shouldn't mean too much once you are far enough out of your draft year.

Like yes, patience is a virtue, but Luca Sbisa was the 19th overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. You don't see anyone propping him up cause of that do you?

Except for Benning. **** me.

Sorry, I missed that. But my point still stands in general.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
2 ways exempt players from waivers when promoting/demoting them to the A/NHLs, unless I'm terribly mistaken. It is usual that fringe NHLers, or young players who have not yet made enough of an impression on management sign these deals for the purpose that was aforementioned in this post.

I might be wrong but something in my brain says that might have been true way back a couple of CBAs ago.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Think they attempt to pass clendening through? He wasn't great in the ahl. Could see them cutting him right before set rosters.
Benning's now realized the west is hard with extra travel and physical play and wants to keep 8 dmen. I imagine the team is now pretty much set with Corrado and Clendening at 7/8D and Kenins at 13th F.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Clendening would be claimed. He is a young dman who has produced very well at AHL level. Former 2nd rnd pick. If you believe a team wouldn't gladly pick him up then you don't follow Canucks prospects very closely.

Actually there is a chance that Clendening doesn't get claimed because any team that claims him has to keep him on the NHL roster.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Looks like Corrado gets 1 year $700,000... pretty fair signings... Baertschi hopefully gets less than a million on a one year. Still some cap space to sign, trade or claim off waivers a 4th line center if none of the young guys make the team and Vey is the only option.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Looks like Corrado gets 1 year $700,000... pretty fair signings... Baertschi hopefully gets less than a million on a one year. Still some cap space to sign, trade or claim off waivers a 4th line center if none of the young guys make the team and Vey is the only option.
I think Baertschi's qualifying offer is a bit higher than that? My guess is the Canucks will try to give him some term.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I think Baertschi's qualifying offer is a bit higher than that? My guess is the Canucks will try to give him some term.

Bärtschi's 2014-15 salary was $832,500. That salary puts his minimum qualifying offer at 5% more or about $875,000.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
People have to remember that Clendening was essentially picked up for a 5th round draft pick. Sure, everyone was really high on Forsling because of his showing at the WJC but, realistically, the chances of him making the NHL are still very remote.
If Clendening gets a roster spot on opening night and shows throughout the year that he is no more than an AHLer, then it is unlikely he would be claimed if waived mid season.
Look at Stanton, as much as people love him here, no team has picked him up and they don't even have to pay the waiver fee. He might get signed later in the summer by a team looking for some depth.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
People have to remember that Clendening was essentially picked up for a 5th round draft pick. Sure, everyone was really high on Forsling because of his showing at the WJC but, realistically, the chances of him making the NHL are still very remote.
If Clendening gets a roster spot on opening night and shows throughout the year that he is no more than an AHLer, then it is unlikely he would be claimed if waived mid season.
Look at Stanton, as much as people love him here, no team has picked him up and they don't even have to pay the waiver fee. He might get signed later in the summer by a team looking for some depth.
Doesn't matter where we drafted Forsling. What matters is he looked like a promising defensive prospect, something we don't have a whole lot of.

What the market values doesn't always indicate inherent value. In this case Stanton wasn't valued by the market, but he would be at least a good #5 defenseman for us.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Too bad that Corrado played that extra playoff game against the Sharks. He would of been a valuable callup guy.

No complaints with either contract here, I wonder how many games they get. 70 or so man games lost from the regular 5 Dmen used last year. The 6th defensemen was rotated about leaving 80+ games for the 7th/8th defensemen. Will be interesting to see how everything balances out.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Doesn't matter where we drafted Forsling. What matters is he looked like a promising defensive prospect, something we don't have a whole lot of.

What the market values doesn't always indicate inherent value. In this case Stanton wasn't valued by the market, but he would be at least a good #5 defenseman for us.

My point exactly. Clendening's value should be considered in the context of the market. The market said a 5th round draft pick. And I don't see Forsling being valued much higher now.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'd personally rather see:
Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Corrado

as regular pairings. I don't even want to give credence to the whole "pair the rookie with the disaster lol" argument, so I'm not discussing it further. But I think this gives us our two solid pairings we saw the better half of the season last year, as well as shoring up Sbisa with a hockey player that is similar to what we saw Tanev is in his first couple seasons here (2010-11 and 2011-12). A guy who simply does that little things right (chipping it off the glass, making a crisp first pass, jumping up in the play when the winger moves up, and doesn't get caught out of position too often).

I think that way the pairings are utilized to the fullest in an economy of error-free hockey. At least as balanced as you can get til the inevitable injury waves hit.

I just want nothing to do with Weber in the top 4 unless the plan is to sell Hamhuis at the deadline. I'd rather play Sbisa 20 minutes a night than Weber 18.
But I much prefer Sbisa and his mistakes than Weber and his weakness on skates. My bias I guess. But I also believe given the minutes Corrado could easily produce what Weber was but more along the assist side than goals.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Too bad that Corrado played that extra playoff game against the Sharks. He would of been a valuable callup guy.

No complaints with either contract here, I wonder how many games they get. 70 or so man games lost from the regular 5 Dmen used last year. The 6th defensemen was rotated about leaving 80+ games for the 7th/8th defensemen. Will be interesting to see how everything balances out.

Yeah, but that was a long time ago now. Corrado needs to show he belongs as an NHL regular now, so it's just as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad