Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Chris Tanev to 5-Year Extension ($4.45M AAV)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Based on what? Who in particular is clearly a better player after having left he Leafs? Raymond? Santorelli? Franson? Nobody is saying guys like Kessel and Gardiner are bad players.

I think Kessel and Phaneuf tend to get underrated pretty hard because of the team they play on.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Certainly it's allowed, but on the rare occasion it happens teams and players do it at their own risk as it is in know way enforceable.

I recall seeing Red Wings fans talking about how Dan Cleary got a raise this year from 1.75M to 2.5M despite sucking badly because of a 'gentlemen s agreement' with Holland, back from 2013 offseason when he didn't suck as badly.

Exactly. When Alfredsson left Ottawa, he pretty much revealed that he and the Senators had agreed to cap circumvention earlier and nobody really cared.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Exactly. When Alfredsson left Ottawa, he pretty much revealed that he and the Senators had agreed to cap circumvention earlier and nobody really cared.

Nobody seemed to care either when Kipper openly admitted he never had any intentions of playing the final year of his contract with Calgary.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

And that cheap **** Sens owner gave Krusty the shaft when he wouldn't "reward" him for that (re: not re-signing him).

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Based on what? Who in particular is clearly a better player after having left he Leafs? Raymond? Santorelli? Franson? Nobody is saying guys like Kessel and Gardiner are bad players.

Actually if you read the main board, people do think guys like Kessel and Gardiner suck. As for your comment, ugh Tlusty, Steen, Rask(kinda) Macarthur etc have all had success once they moved on from the Leafs.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
IMO losing value on the Kesler deal, losing value with Garrison, picking Vey for a 2nd, passing on Santorelli, overpaying for Dorsett, and then signing Miller for too much for too long cratered my confidence in him.

WD looks to be the right call as coach, Vrbata was a great signing, Baertschi I'm a fan of, Cleandening and Pedan I see the logic even if it's too early to call, I think his draft picks (except for the two mind-boggling late-rounders we all know about) are solid. So the confidence is starting to come back, and Tanev is a good step in the right direction.

Realistically, I think the overwhelming majority of NHL GM's will probably settle out around 50% when it comes to deals and signings. The more disrupted the circumstances they inherit, the more they'll have to eat on trades in the early going to try and purge the issues. There are a lot of smart guys working for 30 different teams, all trying to win trades. If any given GM even came out on top, say, 60% of the time, you'd think that would rapidly result in a championship roster.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
"Realistically, I think the overwhelming majority of NHL GM's will probably settle out around 50% when it comes to deals and signings."

This is spot on.

I think a GOOD gm settles out at 60%. I'd be happy with 55+

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Trevor Linden is presumably not an utter idiot.* And since he is just a figurehead, I'm okay with setting the bar pretty low.

* Caveat: He and I are the same age and I've been a life long Nucks fan and fan of Linden the player.

Linden is here to cut ribbons, smile for the cameras, appease the fan base, liaise with the owner(s) -- and maybe keep the owner from doing stupid things (see Colts and Clippers and Cowboys and Mavs and …) and only do one crucial thing:

And that crucial thing is hire a good management team (plus then stay out of their way). That means his experience won't count for much, but his judgement will. So far so good.

So assuming he's not an utter idiot, and he sticks to his duties (see above), we'll be fine.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
so we might not have a Norris calibre defenceman currently, but Edler-Tanev have been good enough this season that they're comparable as a pairing to any pairing with a Norris caliber defender on it.

Agreed. This might be the best thing that happened this season for the retool. If these guys can play at this level... we have a first pairing for the next 5 years. They might regress but there is also some room for them to grow together. We'll probably see some of both over 5 years.

How much better are they going to be after spending a couple more seasons together? And how does their combined cap hit compare to other top pairings around the league?

Their cap hits should allow the team to spend a little more on an "offensive" complement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad