Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
My observation includes the belief that Baertschi is still showing progress. What his ceiling might be is a question that has too many variables to accurately say. But I do see progress this season over last.

I have enjoyed watching his progression. Year by year, since being with the Canucks, he has become more and more the player he was drafted as, now at the NHL level.

Reactions: Knight53

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Yup, I've been a fan from the beginning of Baertschi and it makes watching him succeed now all the more enjoyable.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
His production will probably decrease but this has been terrific so far in the early season.

I dont think we can expect him to score at this level since its 1st line production

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I was really frustrated by his play coming down the stretch last year.. i.e. Horvat had some help not scoring the 17 games of the season...
But he clearly had taken a step in his work rate, effort level and ... his hands! He's playing with a lot more skill and vision.. His decision making has gone up notch in the aggressive department.. a lot more attacking than peeling back and looking to dump.. Screams confidence to me.

We'll see how he does when things dry up in the ebs and flow of the season.. but he passed the first initial hurdle when he and his line started really 'meh' out of the gate... He kept working and it's paying off.

Consistency is the question with him now... Looks good so far... clearly has taken step from his 24 yr old season to his 25th.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I still never know what to think of Baertschi. Kid oozes talent but I still wait for his consistency. It was the same in the Flames organization. He struggled to start and end the year last season. This year I felt his play was extremely lacklustre the first half dozen games. Then the next 6 or 7 he's been good and at times excellent.

Perhaps he never gets that consistency. Perhaps he's a "run of the mill" second line guy rather than a top line guy. Sure would like him to be a top line guy...

This was a trade I had little issue with. There were relationship issues in the Flames organization with Baertschi. It was frustrating flames fans seeing Hartley put him the doghouse and not give him a chance. Heck one of the first things Burke did when he got to down was single out Baertschi as the type of player they needed less of. It was a decent gamble on that change of scenery trade as he did produce at a ~40 point pace with the flames prior to the his last partial season in the organization.

BUt I still don't know what he is. I have the same issue with Matt Duchene...50 point guy or 70 point top line center?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I still never know what to think of Baertschi. Kid oozes talent but I still wait for his consistency. It was the same in the Flames organization. He struggled to start and end the year last season. This year I felt his play was extremely lacklustre the first half dozen games. Then the next 6 or 7 he's been good and at times excellent.

Perhaps he never gets that consistency. Perhaps he's a "run of the mill" second line guy rather than a top line guy. Sure would like him to be a top line guy...

This was a trade I had little issue with. There were relationship issues in the Flames organization with Baertschi. It was frustrating flames fans seeing Hartley put him the doghouse and not give him a chance. Heck one of the first things Burke did when he got to down was single out Baertschi as the type of player they needed less of. It was a decent gamble on that change of scenery trade as he did produce at a ~40 point pace with the flames prior to the his last partial season in the organization.

BUt I still don't know what he is. I have the same issue with Matt Duchene...50 point guy or 70 point top line center?
this how i feel about him too.

The thing that's about to change for him is it's no longer 2nd fiddle to the Sedin's. Getting prime minutes with the best line mates he's ever had is a prime chance for a breakout year offensively.

He still gets knocked around a lot hope he doesn't score too crazy to be honest or he's gonna want frontline money which i would have a hard time paying.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He was terrible vs NJ. He was better vs Penguins but Horvat carried that line. He definitely needs to be more consistent. If he has a 60 point season because we overachieve id be hesitant giving him 5.5 plus mil per year.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Baertschi was a forechecking machine vs the Red Wings. He seems to be playing with more energy this year. At least better at directing his energy to effectiveness which I think that's experience showing. I wish he drove to the net more though, like he was doing at some points last year when he was digging out those rebounds and shoving them in the net.

He also has some of the softest hands for taking passes, some of the tough ones he knocks down and controls through the neutral zone are impressive.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He was terrible vs NJ. He was better vs Penguins but Horvat carried that line. He definitely needs to be more consistent. If he has a 60 point season because we overachieve id be hesitant giving him 5.5 plus mil per year.

Horvat didn't carry the line against Pens, that's giving him way too much credit. All three played exceptionally well.

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, what's the point of saying this? Of course weird things 'may' happen and there's a small chance he'll have a similar development curve to an absurdly talented unicorn power forward 15 years ago. Or he'll most likely be like pretty much every other smallish quick skill forward in the NHL and be at his peak fairly early.

It's like crashing the Boeser thread with 'Yakupov scored lots as a rookie and busted so Boeser might be a bust!' posts. Like, there's a small chance that could happen, but the odds are overwhelming that he's actually going to be a good player long-term.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said, "It certainly doesn't mean every player will, but some do come into their own later than others."

Sorry if pointing out the obvious offends you so, but some players do in fact develop later than others.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
People that try to bash bae by saying no carried him is most lazy logic ever. If anything Sven carries bo defensively.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I knew that he'd be a legit top 6 player. The first time i watched him play a game in a Canucks uniform (might have been preseason...his 2nd or 3rd game)... he was racing down to get the puck and beat the Dman, but the Dman was right there and Sven launched his body into the bigger Dman to create some time and space for himself to quickly change direction / make a play.
I'd say that the MOST of the effective SKILLED guys in the league don't shy away from traffic. Very few high skill smaller guys can be successful avoiding trafic.
Sven isnt scared to initiate contact..he knows that's not his game, he knows he's a skilled guy..but the fact he densest hesitate in those close situations is one of the reasons he's thrived.

Confidence is another one too. I feel that a player's confidence is so important to their success. He's found his 'place' in the league. It's on the Canucks, skating along side Bo Horvat. He's got it going right now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's been quietly impressive. i've thought of him as a complimentary top 6 player who needs a play driver, but he's been doing a lot of work on his own and is scoring on the second pp unit right now.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
he's been quietly impressive. i've thought of him as a complimentary top 6 player who needs a play driver, but he's been doing a lot of work on his own and is scoring on the second pp unit right now.
Yes he has.
Interesting that a large group of people are not high on this player. He has really impressed me with his 2 way play and willingness to play in traffic.
I wasn't that excited about the trade at the time because I thought he would be soft. I was wrong and in retrospect getting Boeser and Baertschi from our 1st 2 picks in 2015 is game changing.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yes he has.
Interesting that a large group of people are not high on this player. He has really impressed me with his 2 way play and willingness to play in traffic.
I wasn't that excited about the trade at the time because I thought he would be soft. I was wrong and in retrospect getting Boeser and Baertschi from our 1st 2 picks in 2015 is game changing.

also game changing is that baertschi is rounding into his prime right now and helping bo and brock thrive whereas the player taken with the draft pick we gave up for him would still be in junior or the minors. even if baertschi is not ultimately part of our new core he will be a key factor in supporting and developing the players who are.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Agree with your points. I think a lot of posters here are caught up with Baertschi's age. The reality is that this is only his 3rd full NHL season and he has shown improved consistency every year. I think the opinion that Baertschi is only good on a rebuilding team is misplaced. If there is one thing Baertschi seems to have shown is his ability to play with skilled players.

At the end of the day, Baertschi is a good player who can produce offensively and play up and down your lineup. On a good contract, he should be a valuable player for years to come.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Baertschi is going to slump and soon people will complain about him again, despite him playing pretty much exactly the same as he has always played.

Such is the life of Sven Baertschi.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Baertschi's great, and it's great to finally see him getting recognition as a key player on the team rather than a tweener type.

Ya. I know that considering draft status and the past etc is frowned upon. But Baertschi at one time was considered an elite prospect. I've mentioned this before, I still remember the lockout year when our farm team played Calgary's farm team. Kassian was good but Baertschi was in a class by himself.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I guess with a 2nd round pick, even getting a consistent 30 point player would be pretty good.

Speaking of which, what did Calgary do with that pick anyways?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad