Jan 21st, 2023 - Oilers@Canucks -

Projected Lineups:

OILERS:

CANUCKS:

Preview:
OILERS vs. CANUCKS
WATCH: 7:00 p.m. MT; televised on Sportsnet

Oilers Team Scope

The Edmonton Oilers ended a three-game skid in Dallas on Wednesday thanks to some new-look lines that found chemistry right away in a 6-3 victory over the Stars.

"I thought the game went to a rhythm that we wanted to dictate at," Head Coach Jay Woodcroft said post-game. "Different teams present different challenges, and the Dallas Stars are a well-coached, well-oiled machine right now. They're leading their division for a reason, and we just felt that it was time to do a few other things."

Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins reverted back to centing their own lines at American Airlines Arena to allow Woodcroft to re-organize some forward pairs around the Oilers three-headed beast down the middle.

The Oilers scored three times in the final period, including the game-winner from Warren Foegele on a connection with linemate Draisaitl before McDavid went five-hole for his 29th of the season to extend his NHL-leading point streak to 14 games. Zach Hyman and Jesse Puljujarvi flanked the captain, while Draisaitl joined up with Foegele and Kailer Yamamoto to complete the top six.

Mattias Janmark added an empty-netter against his former club to finish off a three-point night with two goals and an assist alongside Nugent-Hopkins, who had a goal and two helpers. Klim Kostin chipped in with two assists on a night of well-rounded contributions for the Oilers to get back to winning ways and a 18-14-2 record.

"Nuge is probably one of the hottest guys in the league right now, so playing with him is awesome," Janmark said. "I think Klim played a really good game. He's easy to play with, he hangs onto the puck and wins battles. He made a great play to me on the first goal there, so it's a good game."

Canucks Team Scope

What a return it was for Elias Pettersson.

After missing six games due to illness, the Swede returned on Thursday night and recorded two goals and three assists, along with the shootout winner, in a come-from-behind 6-5 victory for the Vancouver Canucks over the Seattle Kraken.

The Canucks trailed 4-2 going into the third period, where Pettersson set up goals from Andrei Kuzmenko and Brock Boeser before tying the game in the last two minutes with the net empty. Pettersson struck the post in overtime, but beat Martin Jones with a forehand deke in the third round of the shootout to give the Canucks the extra point in a game they trailed by two goals three separate times.

The Canucks conclude back-to-back games before the holiday break tonight against the Oilers at Rogers Place in search of consecutive victories to reboot their push in the Pacific Division. Vancouver sits seven points outside of a wild card position in the Western Conference.

By The Numbers

Friday's game will mark Edmonton's second of four games against Vancouver this season and the second and final game at home... The next time these teams will meet is Jan. 21 in Vancouver... The last time these teams met was on Oct. 12 in Edmonton, with the Oilers winning 5-3... Connor McDavid leads the team with 58 career points against Vancouver and also has a team leading 20 goals and 38 assists against the Canucks...

McDavid is currently on 14-game point streak, posting 30 points (13G, 17A), marking the third longest point streak of his career... Tyson Barrie is on an eight-game point streak, posting 12 assists... Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is on a five-game point streak, notching eight points (4G, 4A)... The Oilers rank 1st in the NHL in goals for in the second period with 47... They also rank tied for first in the league in third period goals with 48...

Injury Report

OILERS - Oscar Klefbom (shoulder) is on IR; Mike Smith (undisclosed) is on IR; Evander Kane (wrist) is on IR; Ryan McLeod (undisclosed) is on IR; Philip Broberg (undisclosed) is day-to-day; Ryan Murray (undisclosed) is day-to-day.

CANUCKS - Thatcher Demko (unsidclosed) is on IR; Tanner Pearson (hand) is on IR; Tucker Poolman (undisclosed) is on IR; Micheal Ferland (concussion) is on IR; Travis Dermott (concussion) is on IR.

-- Jamie Umbach, EdmontonOilers.com

Pregame Music:

Last edited:

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Vancouver as Divisional opponents, are in such a world of hurt. These are the types of games that the Oil just have to step on the other team.
That has been rare. For some reason, Vancouver always outplays us, yet we have come up with late victories. Been very annoyed with Van-Edm games.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Nuge and McD on extended point streaks, I think that continues and the Canucks get stomped tonight.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is this game happening with the Vancouver airport situation right now? I'm guessing maybe that chartered flights have their own rules? Apologies if a dumb question, I don't know much about how chartered planes operate.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Is this game happening with the Vancouver airport situation right now? I'm guessing maybe that chartered flights have their own rules? Apologies if a dumb question, I don't know much about how chartered planes operate.
YVR will grant a charter service landing access as long as the runways are operational. The ground crews etc for the charter flight will all be out of a private hanger like Shell Aerocenter (not sure they still operate) or Signature Executive Air Service, so no impact to the Airport Authority crews that are managing gate access, cargo/luggage.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No, it's a valid question. I didn't even think of that. Then there's Ottawa declaring an emergency over 15 cm of snow🤣

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I like how sportsnet 4K doesn’t have the game starting until 745 so they can finish the Tampa/Buffalo game. Had to switch my recording to sportsnet west to get the entire game recorded.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Did the Canucks even make it to Edmonton? Airport in Vancouver canceled a lot of flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad