Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Continue here.

Previous thread:
Tha Third 2019 Canucks Offseason Rumours/Trades Thread

Last post in previous thread:
Ben Kuzma: Benning wooing free-agent defencemen after trying the trade route

“That (Miller trade) was just the start of what we’re trying to do to add to our group in that range, to support our younger guys and make us more competitive,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “There is still work to be done on that front and I’m going to keep pounding away.”

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
At least we see some acknowledgement that they've got a cap problem in that Kuzma article, and some sentiment that they shouldn't be blowing their brains out on Myers.

Also it sounds like the asking price on Barrie was probably Virtanen + 1st 2019. Apparently the Canucks would have done it if Podkolzin wasn't available, and were probably pushing the Avs on that 2020 1st rounder. I think the intention was always to trade next year's first round pick, but they were hoping to get a defenseman for it.

The thing that should be explicitly stated in that article is that they can add around $7M-$8M in total FA signings. Assuming Boeser also gets $7M-$8M they'll then basically be right up against the cap.

Reactions: geebaan

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I can't see the team finishing bottom three. The forward group is fairly good and Markstrom should have a strong year. I think around 20th is more likely.
So not even bad enough to get one of the high quality prospects in the draft, while not being good enough to make the playoffs.
Lol all the worry of “we don’t wanna be Edmonton always at the bottom” has now turned into “let’s be the Flames of yesteryear” pretty quickly.
Bad, but not bad enough. Then no high end talents from the draft, more overspending in UFA and trades. 5-10 years till the competing and a whole new core of players to boot

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
So not even bad enough to get one of the high quality prospects in the draft, while not being good enough to make the playoffs.
Lol all the worry of “we don’t wanna be Edmonton always at the bottom” has now turned into “let’s be the Flames of yesteryear” pretty quickly.
Bad, but not bad enough. Then no high end talents from the draft, more overspending in UFA and trades. 5-10 years till the competing and a whole new core of players to boot

That's what happens when a management group tries to rush a rebuild.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can't see the team finishing bottom three. The forward group is fairly good and Markstrom should have a strong year. I think around 20th is more likely.

I think that's pretty likely. Close to where we were last season.

I would say, however, that the probability of them finishing bottom three and making the playoffs is probably equal. If they get quite lucky they might make the post-season, and if they get unlucky on one or two players (i.e. Markstrom mostly) they could easily finish bottom three.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I imagine this has already been addressed over the last 48 hours, but why didn't we trade for Marleau, buy him out, and then use that 1st for the Miller trade? At that point it would have basically been Miller for $6M in cap space next year and a 3rd, which is kind of a genius move for a team like ours. Especially considering we shouldn't be signing any big contracts with that cap space this summer anyways.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I imagine this has already been addressed over the last 48 hours, but why didn't we trade for Marleau, buy him out, and then use that 1st for the Miller trade? At that point it would have basically been Miller for $6M in cap space next year and a 3rd, which is kind of a genius move for a team like ours. Especially considering we shouldn't be signing any big contracts with that cap space this summer anyways.
You’re asking a guy who allegedly wouldn’t give water to migrant workers and refused to pay them 100k to buy out a 6m contract.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
I would love Gardiner, Nyquist, and Stralman

Wish there wasn't so much wasted crap already on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00